Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Juan Francisco future Pro or Pretender?

Voters
90. You may not vote on this poll
  • He's got no chance

1 1.11%
  • He's a sure bet

9 10.00%
  • Possible but not very likely

28 31.11%
  • Possible and I like his chances

43 47.78%
  • I have no clue one way or the other, but I hope so

8 8.89%
  • Other: Please be specific

1 1.11%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Odds are: Juan Francisco

Odds are: Juan Francisco

Is he a future major leaguer who will stick for any significant length of time after teams get a book on him?

Always endless debate about a handful of prospects so I thought I'd run a few polls to allow folks to express their opinion, make a statement of fact, basically make a prediction on their future and whatever else they want to add. I really hope those who are passionate about these arguments are willing to participate and will learn something from this exercise in the future, I know I will.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Odds are: Juan Francisco

I chose "no clue" because it felt like the most honest answer. It's hard to say whether he'll make the adjustments necessary to succeed on the ML level, which is generally a true enough statement for the vast majority of prospects, isn't it?
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Until I see otherwise, I'm going to lean on the best comps I can think of: Wily Mo Pena and Marcus Thames. I'm sure he'll get some time in the majors, but I'd be surprised if he ever turns in to an every day player, let alone an all-star caliber guy.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Until I see otherwise, I'm going to lean on the best comps I can think of: Wily Mo Pena and Marcus Thames. I'm sure he'll get some time in the majors, but I'd be surprised if he ever turns in to an every day player, let alone an all-star caliber guy.
    Wily Mo Pena's problems were a direct result of not having enough time to develop. He was rushed to the Majors due to the contract he signed, and teams will unwilling to send him to AAA because he was out of options. I don't see that issue with Francisco. He will be given more time to develop. But I do see the comp in that the Reds will hold onto Francisco, probably a little too long if he ends up being a bust.

The reservations of Doug, camis and Mario-Rijo, etc., are founded upon Francisco's unsightly K:BB ratio, and I respect the research that goes into that evaluation. However, I choose, perhaps optimistically, to favor the curve by which JF has improved at virtually every level along the way, distinguishing himself on a consistent basis. Plus, I'm partial to players who have a knack for driving in runs (which, unlike others, I don't believe is entirely accidental). In this way, I think JF's lack of walks works somewhat in his favor, and will continue to as long as he maintains a reasonably high batting average. Power plus batting average equals a high rate of RBIs when employed in the middle of the lineup. My expectations for JF will change once he reaches a level he can't wreak havoc in; and there's only one left. Of course, it's a rather significant one . . .

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I went with possible, but not very likely. I have seen glimpses that tell me it can happen and that he 'gets it' in terms of taking bad pitches. Of course I have seen him a week later swing at 8 of the 10 pitches he saw that day too. Given his history, its just not likely, but there is a chance based on some glimpses that I have seen with him.

I chose possible and I like his chances. He's young enough to continue developing, he's had a boat load of praise from outside the organization, boosting his confidence. If he gets OB drilled into his head and LEARNS what he can't hit, he could be a beast.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I went with possible, but not very likely. I have seen glimpses that tell me it can happen and that he 'gets it' in terms of taking bad pitches. Of course I have seen him a week later swing at 8 of the 10 pitches he saw that day too. Given his history, its just not likely, but there is a chance based on some glimpses that I have seen with him.
    Does he remind you of Francour at all? Guy never found a pitch he didn't like to swing at.

At this point, if he doesn't improve at all from last season, he's Fernando Tatis or Wily Mo Pena. That's a five to ten year career, simply because of the power in his bat.

If he continues to improve, he could be anything from a typical major league starter to a pinch hitter/ utility corner guy (all four corner positions, a really valuable guy to have on your bench) to a perennial All Star.

Too soon to tell, really. Let him baste in AAA for 500-1000 ABs and then let's see.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Let him baste in AAA for 500-1000 ABs and then let's see.
    That's probably the right plan, but you know he's gonna be called up to the Big Leagues at some point this season.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Does he remind you of Francour at all? Guy never found a pitch he didn't like to swing at.
    That is the guy who I think he compares quite favorably to if he reaches his peak. And Francouer as recently as what '08 or '09 was sent back to the minors because he struggled greatly once teams figured out they didn't have to throw him anything remotely driveable to get him out consistently. And it should be noted Francouer is a far superior defender.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think he will be a major leaguer but not a star player. He will be a guy that bounces around a lot. He will be very inconsistent, but will show just enough "wow moments" and flashes of greatness or have the occasional hot streak that will tempt teams to keep giving him chances. Kind of like a Russell Branyan. He will be a 5th outfielder, pinch hitter and occasional designated hitter for a few years and will make a very nice living.

I went with possible because thats the way I feel about most of our higher prospects. I always feel there is a possibility that they could be really good or not pan out. I give Cisco a 50/50 shot of making it if he gets good coaching.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Possible but not very likely

I was not impressed at all when I saw him play this past season with Carolina....He seemed slow, below average fielder, but a decent stick....Wasn't very impressed with his work ethic either pre-game or during the game.....

Turn Off Ads?