Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Spring Training updates

Re: 2010 Spring Training updates

Aaron Miles, who can play outfield, is a switch-hitter.
    Is it just me or does Fay seem to really like Miles? I understand that the guy is on the 40 man and he's a "savvy/scrappy" vet that all Reds teams must have, but Fay seems to throw Miles in there like he's a steal. Maybe I'm it's all in my head, but Fay likes to throw Miles a bone whenever talking about the roster and position competition.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Volquez is around 6'0" to 6'1". But he's always been a little thick. Not 240, but probably around 220. I'd say it's fairly normal to gain weight after TJ surgery.
    I'm about 6'2" and the few times I've been near Volquez he seemed a little taller than that... Thanks for the correction.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

This needs to stop right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I'm about 6'2" and the few times I've been near Volquez he seemed a little taller than that... Thanks for the correction.
    You may be right. The Reds roster lists him at 6'0" but I've always thought he was slightly taller than that, maybe around 6'1" or so.

Talking to Baker
    Posted by jfay February 17th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I caught up with Dusty Baker for a few minutes after his meetings today. Here’s the highlights:

On the team in general: “I feel very good. I’m excited with personnel we have. I’m excited with the players and the quality of coaching we have here. We’re trying to get better. That’s the whole key.”

On adding Orlando Cabrera and Aaron Miles: “We’re trying to get better. Cabrera is our shortstop. Miles still has to make the team. We’ve still got competition in couple of spots. We’re not just set on who’s on the team. In the case of Miles, I think he understands that. He’s been in that situation before.”

Will Miles be in the mix for left field? “Probably not. We’ve got a enough dudes in left. There’s only so many games, so many innings. We’re already going to try to schedule some B games.”

Baker said Right-handers Mike Lincoln and Micah Owings will be in the competition for the fifth starter spot, along with right-handers Justin Lehr and Mike Leake and left-handers Matt Maloney, Travis Wood and Aroldis Chapman: “There are quite a few guys who we’re going to have to find innings for. I think the fact that we have Cleveland right next door and so convenient. I’m sure with their uncertainty, they might welcome B games as well. B games don’t count as far as stats. They count in our eyes.”

On the chances of Todd Frazier, Chris Heisey and Juan Francisco making the team: “I’ve seen guys force their way onto the team. Everybody wants answers for the future. These are questions I can’t answer or don’t want to answer. A lot is based on what guys did last year.”

Also, here’s one example of the difference between the old facility and new one: The Reds video operation in Sarasota was confined to a folding table, holding to laptops, set up in hall way that leads to showers. Here, there’s a 20-by-35-foot viedo room with eight desktop computers, two big screens TVs and four smaller screens with video feeds from the batting cages and main practice field.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

You may be right. The Reds roster lists him at 6'0" but I've always thought he was slightly taller than that, maybe around 6'1" or so.
    I really had it in my head that he was 6' AT MOST. I guess I was thinking Cueto = Volquez in size. Thanks for correcting me, fellas!

Talking to Baker

On adding Orlando Cabrera and Aaron Miles: “... Miles still has to make the team. We’ve still got competition in couple of spots. We’re not just set on who’s on the team. In the case of Miles, I think he understands that. He’s been in that situation before...”

Will Miles be in the mix for left field? “Probably not. We’ve got a enough dudes in left. There’s only so many games, so many innings. We’re already going to try to schedule some B games.”

this is good to hear!

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Man am I pumped about spring training getting underway. Just signed up for Sheldon, cnati's and Fay's twitter feeds. Let news commence!
    what are their twitter handles? and do you (or anyone else) have anyone else you have that you follow that dishes out good reds news?

Definitely some nice stuff to hear there from Dusty.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Is it just me or does Fay seem to really like Miles? I understand that the guy is on the 40 man and he's a "savvy/scrappy" vet that all Reds teams must have, but Fay seems to throw Miles in there like he's a steal. Maybe I'm it's all in my head, but Fay likes to throw Miles a bone whenever talking about the roster and position competition.
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    This needs to stop right now.
    I said it the day the Reds traded for him, but Gomes or any other FA LF became an afterthought. Miles is a weaker version of Jerry Hairston. It is obvious the FO views Miles as a possibility in the OF.
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    I said it the day the Reds traded for him, but Gomes or any other FA LF became an afterthought. Miles is a weaker version of Jerry Hairston. It is obvious the FO views Miles as a possibility in the OF.
    Then Dusty failed to get the memo because he was fairly clear that Miles probably wouldn't be in the race for LF.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Reporting time for pitchers, catchers, writers
    By Hal McCoy | Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 02:11 PM

PITCHERS AND CATCHERS report this week to spring training - and I’m often asked, ” Why do pitchers and catchers report before the rest of the players. Why don’t they all report together?”

Good question. Right now, if I’m an infielder or outfielder and I live in Ohio, I change positions immediately to pitcher or catcher and report right now to Arizona to get out of this two feet of winter wonderland.

As near as I can gather, and nobody has the definitive answer, pitchers need the extra few days to get their arms in shape before they start throwing to live hitters, so they report early. And they need catchers to catch them.

That may have been true way back when, when baseball players didn’t make gazillions and had to pump gas and flip burgers in the off-season to pay the bills, but it is no longer so. Players don’t work anywhere in the off-season, except on their golf games, and they stay in shape - ready to go when spring training begins.

But it’s baseball and it’s tradition.

SO PITCHERS, CATCHERS and baseball writers report this week. Baseball writers have to be there to watch the pitchers play catch with the catchers and work on PFP, the dreaded pitchers fielding practice that pitchers abhor.

If spring training were in, say, Duluth, Minn. or Fargo, N.D. in some indoor facilities, baseball writers wouldn’t be standing at the locker room door shaking hands with pitchers and catchers as they arrive.

But, in the case of the Cincinnati Reds, it’s Arizona and like the rest of my baseball brethren, I’ll be there to soak up the atmosphere (translation: soak up the sun).

I’m arriving in Arizona on Friday for a few days to bring you blogs on how Homer Bailey’s fastball looks - as delivered off a bullpen mound to a minor-league catcher - and to say, “Si, senor,” to Cuban pitcher Aroldis Chapman, who speaks no English.

AS IT STANDS now, the only major issues in camp for the Reds are:

Who will play left field?

Who will be the fifth starter?

Who will be the extra players?

We’ve beaten the left field issue to a pulp, with no answers. Will it be Chris Dickerson, Jonny Gomes (still unsigned), Wladimir Balentien, Laynce Nix, Juan Francisco, Chris Heisey, Todd Frazier or some mystery man yet to emerge?

The first four in the rotation are set: Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Homer Bailey, Johnny Cueto. The fifth starter would have been Edinson Volquez and that question would be answered. But Volquez had Tommy John surgery and won’t be available until mid-season, if then.

That leaves the fifth spot to: Micah Owings? Matt Maloney? Travis Wood? Aroldis Chapman? Justin Lehr? Or some myster man yet to emerge?

The club appears a bit thin on the bench, which might open the door for rookie Todd Frazier. He signed as a shortstop, but has played third base, second base, first base and left field in the minors. That versatility might earn him a spot on the club to cover several positions when the inevitable injuries surface and as a back-up at several positions when the regulars need rest.

Those are the answers the Reds seek in the next six weeks. My shorts are pressed, my Tommy Bahama shirts are cleaned and folded, my suntan lotion is ready to be slathered, my portable cigar humidor is full.

Play ball - Arizona variety.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...cxtype=feedbot

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't know what I would have done today had I not known where Fay ate lunch.
    When people go to IN-N-OUT, they have a habit of announcing it to the whole world. You're suppose to be impressed/or jealous.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Since it's officially Thursday (at least in the Eastern Time zone)...the four best words of winter now apply. PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Since it's officially Thursday (at least in the Eastern Time zone)...the four best words of winter now apply. PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT!
    I'm here boss

Turn Off Ads?