Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Spring Training updates

Re: 2010 Spring Training updates

From Paul Hoynes's twitter:

#Cincinnati, #Indians new spring-training partner, will introduce Aroldis Chapman to reporters Monday at noon in Goodyear, Ariz.

http://twitter.com/hoynsie

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I don't know what I would have done today had I not known where Fay ate lunch.
    If you ever ate at IN-N-OUT, you'd know why he bragged about it. :
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    If you ever ate at IN-N-OUT, you'd know why he bragged about it. :
    I have, and while it's good, I really don't understand the obsession with it.

I didn't see any updates on where Fay ate for dinner? OBM where you at???????

Talking to Janish, Volquez
    Posted by jfay February 18th, 2010, 11:27 am

Here’s a little pre-workout stuff:

Paul Janish and Jay Bruce arrived this morning. I asked Janish about the signing of Orlando Cabrera:

“I spent the whole offseason thinking I was going to get a chance. More than anything, it’s a change in mentality. Obviously, I thought I was going to be the everyday guy. Now, I’ve got to go back into the utility role. That’s going to be the role.

“It is was it is. I’ve got to go back to focusing on spring training and being part of the club.”

It was a little disheartening. But, at the same time, if you asked me in November if they were going to sign somebody, I would have said yeah. The fact that it happened so late is a little different.

“Anything to make the team better. We’re all on the same page.”

–Edinson Volquez says his rehab from “Tommy John” surgery is going well.

“I was a little scared the first day I threw. But after that it’s been normal. I threw from 130 feet yesterday. It felt good.”

He’s holding out of hope of coming back earlier than the August projection.

“Some people say August,” he said. “Some people say July – right after the break. We’ll see.”

His scouting report on Cuban left-handed Aroldis Chapman: “Whoa! He’s got a good arm.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

I kind of feel bad for Janish. He prepared for the season one way and with signing Cabrera so late, it had to have thrown him off. I hope he still has a good spring and makes the club easily though. He should at least be in for defense in the late innings when we have the lead.

Glad to hear Volquez is in good spirits but seriously, when is he ever in bad spirits?! LOL

*wishes she could beam herself out of the snow and into Goodyear, AZ*
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I kind of feel bad for Janish. He prepared for the season one way and with signing Cabrera so late, it had to have thrown him off. I hope he still has a good spring and makes the club easily though. He should at least be in for defense in the late innings when we have the lead.

Glad to hear Volquez is in good spirits but seriously, when is he ever in bad spirits?! LOL

*wishes she could beam herself out of the snow and into Goodyear, AZ*
    In all likelihood Paul Janish will make > $.5M playing baseball this year. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for him. Besides while I am looking at 18 inches of snow in my back yard Janish will be on a baseball diamond with mountains in the back ground. Not a bad gig if you ask me.

Info on twitter accounts and the time difference:

1.) Aroldis Chapman—We’ve heard about him, read about him and debated him, but until today we’ve never seen him upclose in a baseball uniform. The media on-hand will be zeroing in Chapman. He speaks no English, but what we all want to know and see is what he looks like in a Reds uniform and what plan new pitching coach Bryan Price has for Chapman’s development.

No one is quite sure what the Reds have in the lanky Cuban left-handed pitcher other than he throws really hard. In Sporting News Today, baseball columnist Stan McNeal rates Chapman the No. 15 most significant pitching acquisition this offseason and quotes Bronson Arroyo as saying, “Based on the pressure he’s already faced and the power arm he has, he should be more equipped to break into the big leagues even if he’s not completely culturized.

“You have more pressure pitching for the national team in Cuba than probably any team in the world. [On] no other team does the dictator of the country bring you in as an 18-year-old kid and say, ‘Don’t let our country down.’ You know if you mess up too bad, you might not eat or your family might not eat.”

With a 10-year, $30.25 million contract, Chapman doesn’t have to worry about vittles, but there will be plenty of pressure for him to rise quickly through the system. So, yeah, today is a big day for Chapman and Reds fans.

2.) The Left Field Watch—No sooner had the beat writers gotten settled into their spiffy new digs at Goodyear did Uncle Walt drop a mild bombshell—the Reds might not be done dealing. Huh? After sitting still for most of the winter?

Wednesday night, Jocketty told the beat guys that the Reds are still discussing bringing back OF Jonny Gomes and hoped to have something done by the time the regular position players report Feb. 22. But it seems as though the Reds suddenly realized, “Hey, we’ve got a shortage of right-handed-hitting outfielders.”

With Willy Taveras gone, Drew Stubbs is a lock for the center field job. That means only righty outfielders Wladimir Balentien, and rookies Todd Frazier and Chris Heisey are competing for a starting or swing role. Since Balentien hit just .165 against left-handed pitching last year, the Reds find themselves at the mercy of the rookies.

“We were talking about that today,” Jocketty told the beat guys. “We see the need as well. It’s something we might address later in spring with a trade or something.”

3.) Multimedia—Sure, this is self-serving but as a long-time advocate and participant in multimedia, it’s worth noting here on Day 1 of the season that this will be the most informed spring training Reds fans have ever experienced.

While the number of newspapers and reporters covering the Reds have shrunk to an all-time low, the sources for information have never been more extensive. In the past year, Yahoo Sports, AOL Fanhouse and Baseball Digest have really beefed up their online baseball coverages. Locally, Hal McCoy of the Dayton Daily News may be retired from daily work, but he’s far from retired. In fact, we’ll see more Hal—through blogs in DDN and online and TV work for Fox Sports Ohio.

John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer and Mark Sheldon of Reds.com will do their daily coverages, perhaps with a little more flair and urgency because of the 24/7 news cycle that now persists.

Then, there is the whirlwind that is Ctrent and Cnati.com.

Fans donated to pay for Ctrent’s trip to spring training and we all know what to expect from his tireless work—constant blogging, Twittering, video and lots of story content. If you have not donated to Cnati.com, you should do so now. There’s going to be lots of stuff behind the pay firewall.

For those who are lurking here at RLD, please register and join us. Once the action starts, we provide the best game thread “Starters” in the Reds blogosphere. For those who don’t know, or should know, the Reds information is all over Twitter. You should be, too. Here’s a couple of places you should be following:

* @MisterRedlegs—Because, well, that’s RLD and me, and I try to provide a fairly decent aggregation of Reds and baseball news, along with my own eccentric (old, mean, grumpy) commentary.

* @ctrent—He updates often and advances material he’ll have on Cnati.com. There’s also a private spring training Twitter account for those who have donated.

* @johnfayman—Reds lone newspaper beat reporter has grown into the blogosphere and tweeting.

* @m_Sheldon—Reds.com beat writer won’t wow you with his writing and isn’t outfront of many news stories, but he provides a lot of copy.

* @jamiereds—Reds media relations guru Jamie Ramsey is a Cincinnati native and lifelong Reds fan, and he has a fairly new blog on Reds.com called “Better Off Red.” It’s a sensational fan-centric and behind-the-scenes look at the team written with a great touch. Expect lots of terrific stuff from Ramsey this spring.

And don't forget: bookmark the local papers in Arizona. The Reds never got much play from the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, but the Arizona Republic is a Gannett Co. newspaper, like the Cincinnati Enquirer, so expect some content share. The Republic is the state's largest paper and does an excellent job with spring training and baseball. You might recognize baseball writer Nick Piecoro. Yep, that's Jeff's brother. The financially troubled East Valley Tribune has traditionally done a very good job with sports and spring training.

4.) The Duds—This happens to me each year: I want one of the official Reds’ team-issue spring training workout shirts (above). I have no idea why these aren’t for public sale because each year they are great-looking duds. This year’s might top them all—a simple white Majestic tee with old-school design, like the official school P.E. shirts we used to wear back in the, er, umm, days of P.E. However, you can buy a similar version except it doesn’t say “Spring Training.” That’s what makes the shirt cool.

There’s also a new spring training/batting practice cap for all MLB teams. Gone are the black “ear flap” models everyone, including the players, hated. Now there are models from New Era with piping and the hyper-curved bill. I hate the hyper-curved bill. Look at Aaron Harang wearing the cap. He has a big head. The hyper-curved bill makes fat-headed people like Harang and old mascots look like fatter heads (literally).

Hint to cap manufacturers: not every fan is 165 pounds, and have we become too lazy to shape our own bill to properly fit our domes?

5.) Time Change—Not mentioned before, but get ready for the time difference adjustment. We’re used to Sarasota and Florida spring games being in the Eastern Time Zone with Cincinnati, so we’re used to news, information and games coming no later than 1 p.m. With the two-hour time difference, we won’t be seeing much online activity from the media until around noon and games being played around 3 p.m. Eastern.

And what today also means is many of you will be attending spring training. It’s an awesome time. If you attend, be sure to let us know, supply reports, photos and all your excitement from the adventure.

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs...7-be84e15afb6c
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 02-18-2010 at 11:46 AM.

From C. Trent:

Paul Janish walks into new #Reds spring clubhouse, says 'wow.' looks around. 'this is plus-plus' -- scout lingo for extraordinary tools

http://twitter.com/ctrent

From Mark Sheldon:

#reds pitchers and catchers are taking physicals this morning. Clubhouse is pretty empty for now. Workout due to start in just over two hrs

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

great stuff, OBM, thanks and keep it coming!

More from Goodyear
    By C. Trent Rosecrans on February 18, 2010 11:49 AM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- I just got the full tour from Bob Miller of this place. I asked him if I could do it later with the video camera and he said yes, so that'll be great.

In a word, it's stunning. You may not understand it if you hadn't seen the behind-the-scenes in Sarasota.

The players keep coming in and are wowed.

Paul Janish walked in and said, "this is plus-plus" -- using the scout's lingo for extraordinary.

The players are going through physicals right now, but after that, we'll talk to Dusty and then there will be some workouts. I'll have my video camera and hope to get some video of Aroldis Chapman.

http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I don't know what I would have done today had I not known where Fay ate lunch.
    Fay knows he is competing with CTrent, who within a week will have a list of the best reasonably priced, home cooking joints around Goodyear (if there are any).

I didn't see any updates on where Fay ate for dinner? OBM where you at???????
    I agree... I used to live in San Diego, so I've had it plenty... Vastly overrated.

Give me Hodad's or a California Burrito any day of the week...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

From C. Trent's twitter:

#Reds Dusty Baker says not everyone has checked in yet

No Visa problems for #Reds, there were just flight delays for Del Rosario and Viola

http://twitter.com/ctrent

Baker on Chapman
    Posted by jfay February 18th, 2010, 1:09 pm

Dusty Baker hadn’t spoken to all the players before the first workout. But he did sit down with the most notable newcomer, Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman.

“I had a nice chat with him,” Baker said. “I like his make-up, his body type. He understands pretty well what you’re saying to him.”

Baker and Chapman spoke in Spanish.

“But it seems like when guys talk to him in English, he comprehends,” Baker said. “You can tell when a person doesn’t understand.”

The Chapman plan was set by pitching coach Bryan Chapman. I’ll get the details of it later. But it sounds like Chapman will be pitching in games from the start.

“There’s a plan,” Baker said. “There’s always a plan. It would be hard to imagine not seeing him games. I know you’ve got to ask the question.”

Chapman comes in good shape.

“Latin guys who play winter baseball (are in shape),” Baker said. “From talking to Bryan, (Chapman) usually had two weeks off the whole year. This is probably the longest he’s been off his whole life.

“I think there’s something to that. When I played Winter Ball, the guys I played with played all year. Very rarely did they have sore arms. I had teammates who ceased having arm problems when they started throwing in the offseason.”

With Chapman, the program will be a hybrid.

“We’re going to do a combination of what he’s been doing and also what we think is best from the way we do things.”

People who have seen Chapman throw are impressed.

“Throwing is not going to be his problem,” Baker said.

GOOD SHAPE: Baker was pleased with the shape players showed up in.

“Especially some of the older guys,” Baker said. “Arthur Rhodes, (Aaron) Harang. You’d expect some of the other guys. Bronson (Arroyo) probably hasn’t gained a pound in 10 years. (Jared) Burton looks good. (Mike Lincoln).”

ALL BUT 2: Everyone has reported except Enerio Del Rosario and Pedro Viola. They had travel problems out of the Dominican. They should be here

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I guess some people have a refined palate for high cuisine and some don't.

Actually, that statement is what I most often hear from people not from Cincinnati about Skyline.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?