Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Spring Training updates

Re: 2010 Spring Training updates

Pretty much the same story from C. Trent but with a little more info:

Dusty Baker 2.18.10
    By C. Trent Rosecrans on February 18, 2010 12:57 PM

GOODYEAR, Ariz. -- We'll be meeting with Dusty every morning, and I'll bring you what we've got from there every morning.

Anyway, today was the first meeting, and we talked mostly about Aroldis Chapman.

Baker's office is about the only thing that's comperable to Sarasota. His office is very similar to what it was like in Florida. But that's OK with him.

"I don't spend much time in anyway," Baker said. "The bigger your office, the more people you can have in it."

So far, Baker, like everyone else, has been impressed with the new digs.

"This is like moving into a new house, it's exciting, very exciting," Baker said.

Beyond that, he talked mostly about Chapman, who has been here since Monday. Baker said he talked to Chapman and had a good visit.

"I just like his makeup and his body type," Baker said.

Baker speaks Spanish, and held his conversation with Chapman in Spanish, but says the Cuban is doing well with English.

"He understands pretty well what you're saying to him," Baker said. "It seems like when guys do speak to him in English, he comprehends."

As for the handling of Chapman's pitching, that'll be in the hands of new pitching coach Bryan Price. Chapman will be pitching in big league games for the Reds.

The Reds are trying to figure out the best way to handle Chapman's throwing regime, which has had what is likely his biggest layoff since becoming a pitcher. Usually, Baker said, Chapman would get about two weeks off from training a year.

"So this is probably been the longest he's been off in his life. I think there's something to that. When I played winter ball, the guys I played with played all year. Very rarely did they have sore arms, very rarely did they have any arm problems," Baker said. "I had a couple of teammates that ceased having arm problems when they threw more in the off-season rather than taking that rest and letting this stiff up and then get back into it again.

"It's like a lot of the Japanese pitchers, they don't have arm problems until they come here and they quit throwing so much. We're going to do a combination of what he's been doing and also what we think is best for him and how we do things. We'll do a combination of things, but you've got to talk to Bryan. He just sat down and talked to (Class A Dayton Dragons pitching coach) Tony Fossas and (bullpen coach) Porky (Lopez) about that a few minutes ago."

Overall, Baker said he's impressed with what he's seen from his players reporting to camp.

"I just like the shape of everyone I see at camp, they look great - especially some of the older guys, Arthur Rhodes, Harang, they're in outstanding shape," Baker said. "You'd expect some of the other guys, Bronson, he probably hasn't gained a pound in 10 years. Burton looks great. Linc looks good, some of the young guys, Leake, everyone I've seen, LeCure, looks like they're in outstanding shape."

The only players who weren't at Goodyear by 11 a.m. MST were Enerio Del Rosario and Pedro Viola. The pair missed a connecting flight trying to get to the US from the Dominican Republic. Both are in the US and aren't having any visa problems.

http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Not a Reds specific update, but one that could cause them some joy.

Carlos Zambrano is giving up throwing his cutter. It was his best pitch last year, though he apparently doesn't think so (that stats suggest otherwise).

I am following about five different Tweets and they all are going off about the same time. Chapman is throwing a bullpen session right now.

I keep holding my breath because I keep waiting for one of them to report that Chapman is walking off the field "holding his elbow." lol!
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

My favorite tweet came from Fay:

johnfayman #Reds' prospect Chapman throwing. It's pretty firm, as they say.
    Firm! Back up the Cy Young trucks!

And, joking aside, the pics of him throwing are fun. Tall dude.

Tweets coming in about Jocketty's take on Chapman's first 10-minute throwing session.

johnfayman : Jocketty on Chapman: I was impressed with his command. Everything was right around the plate. He looked good in his fielding drills, t #reds
    Opinions are like belly buttons. Everybody has one, and they don't want someone else's shoved into their face.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Just wanted to say thanks to OBM for all the updates in this thread, very much appreciated.

My computer got cleaned out so I lost all my favorites, can somebody please link me to the blogs of Reds reporters? Thanks.

Yeah, Chapman throwing, that's great and all but what did Fay have for lunch?

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    My computer got cleaned out so I lost all my favorites, can somebody please link me to the blogs of Reds reporters? Thanks.
    http://cnati.com/ -C Trent Rosecrans
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/ -John Fay
    When people say that I don’t know what I’m talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Lunch??? We never even found out about dinner last night or breakfast this morning!

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Lunch??? We never even found out about dinner last night or breakfast this morning!
    This thread is obviously going downhill!

"Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Jocketty on Chapman
    Posted by jfay February 18th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Reds GM Walt Jocketty was impressed with left-hander Aroldis Chapman’s first bullpen session.

“He showed good command,” Jocketty said. “Everything was right around the plate. He threw those last few pitches like he was throwing to hitters. He’s a little further along than anyone else.”

Needless to say, Chapman has major zip on his fastball. He did throw one over catcher Ramon Hernandez’s head and one in the dirt. But, as Jocketty said, Chapman wasn’t around the plate.

Another good sign: His first pitch out was very good, so he asked to throw another. It was perfect.

For early spring drama, there is none. But a $30 million signee throwing off the mound on the first day attracts attention.

Jocketty, Dusty Baker, Bryan Price, assistant GMs Bob Miller and Bill Bavasi, scouts Jerry Walker and Cam Bonifay all watched Chapman.

I’ll update after we talk to Hernandez and Price.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Jocketty on Chapman
    Posted by jfay February 18th, 2010, 3:19 pm

Reds GM Walt Jocketty was impressed with left-hander Aroldis Chapman’s first bullpen session.

“He showed good command,” Jocketty said. “Everything was right around the plate. He threw those last few pitches like he was throwing to hitters. He’s a little further along than anyone else.”

Needless to say, Chapman has major zip on his fastball. He did throw one over catcher Ramon Hernandez’s head and one in the dirt. But, as Jocketty said, Chapman wasn’t around the plate.

Another good sign: His first pitch out was very good, so he asked to throw another. It was perfect.

For early spring drama, there is none. But a $30 million signee throwing off the mound on the first day attracts attention.

Jocketty, Dusty Baker, Bryan Price, assistant GMs Bob Miller and Bill Bavasi, scouts Jerry Walker and Cam Bonifay all watched Chapman.

I’ll update after we talk to Hernandez and Price.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/
    So Fay is officially in midseason form.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

Never mind that. How did he spell it?!
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?