Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Spring Training updates

Re: 2010 Spring Training updates

I'm a little concerned that they had Chapman throwing in the bullpen today, isnt he supposed to be a starter? Hasn't harang missed the last season and a half because Dusty used him in the bullpen?
    Last edited by klw; 02-18-2010 at 08:12 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

From Fay's twitter:

#Reds pitching coach Price on where Chapman will start: "Maybe it’s Cincinnati. Maybe it’s somewhere else in our system."

http://twitter.com/johnfayman
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 02-18-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    When people go to IN-N-OUT, they have a habit of announcing it to the whole world. You're suppose to be impressed/or jealous.
    "Those are good burgers, Walter."

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    When people go to IN-N-OUT, they have a habit of announcing it to the whole world. You're suppose to be impressed/or jealous.
    Wow!!!

Fast food!!!

I guess it's impressive if you're under 14.

Seriously though, we don't have them here, but the folks down south like em... but their shakes are just as much a calorie monster as their double cheesburger (690 calories)

Chapman on Chapman
    Posted by jfay February 18th, 2010, 6:07 pm

It’s been pretty much an all-Aroldis Chapman day. We chatted with him after his first day of camp. Here’s the the highlights. Tony Fossas, the Dayton pitching and Cuban native, interpreted:

How did the first day go? “I feel really comfortable. I had really good first day out. There are some really good guys to make me feel at home.”

How important is it to have Ramon Hernandez as your catcher? “One of better things that has happened is to have a catcher who knows Spanish.”

Bryan Price said you may start in the majors. Is that the goal? “That decision comes only from the top. But I feel I’m very capable and I’ve worked very hard for this opportunity. I’m looking forward to the challenge. I feel I’m more than capable of being a starter in the big leagues for Cincinnati.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I like his swagger. Sure beats Paul Wilson on the cover of "Pitch to Contact" magazine.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

ALL IN: All 29 pitchers and all seven catchers reported and worked out Thursday.

Left-hander Pedro Viola and right-hander Enerio Del Rosario missed connections out of the Dominican Republic, but arrived.

WHAT ABOUT LEAKE? Right-handed pitcher Mike Leake, the top pick from last year's June draft, is in camp for the first time.

But his appearances was overshadowed by Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman.

Leake could be in the major leagues quickly, pitching coach Bryan Price said.

"I don't think you're sticking your neck out by saying this kid is ready to compete at the higher levels of the minor leagues and challenge to be on a major league team quickly," Price said. "In the same breath, you've got to say: You've got to go out there and do it. There's a lot of guys you build up prematurely. That's unfair to him, a 21-year-old kid who is his first full season of professional baseball.

"I think he's a very polished kid (who could) pitch his way and force our hand."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ole+for+Janish

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Fay's twitter:

#Reds pitching coach Price on where Chapman will start: "Maybe it’s Cincinnati. Maybe it’s somewhere else in our system."
    Well thank goodness they cleared that up.

Fay: "Where's Chapman gonna be?"
    Price: "Somewhere."
    Fay: <runs to twitter account>
    Last edited by Screwball; 02-18-2010 at 11:11 PM.

For those of you into twitter, Jon Adkins has an account if you want to add him to your list of followers. Link to his twitter account is below:

jonadkins96 - Had a lot of media out for my bullpen today.....or were they there to see Aroldis Chapman?? Yeah probably watchin him...great kid/great arm

http://twitter.com/jonadkins96

nm
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-19-2010 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

ALL IN: All 29 pitchers and all seven catchers reported and worked out Thursday.

Left-hander Pedro Viola and right-hander Enerio Del Rosario missed connections out of the Dominican Republic, but arrived.

WHAT ABOUT LEAKE? Right-handed pitcher Mike Leake, the top pick from last year's June draft, is in camp for the first time.

But his appearances was overshadowed by Cuban left-hander Aroldis Chapman.

Leake could be in the major leagues quickly, pitching coach Bryan Price said.

"I don't think you're sticking your neck out by saying this kid is ready to compete at the higher levels of the minor leagues and challenge to be on a major league team quickly," Price said. "In the same breath, you've got to say: You've got to go out there and do it. There's a lot of guys you build up prematurely. That's unfair to him, a 21-year-old kid who is his first full season of professional baseball.

"I think he's a very polished kid (who could) pitch his way and force our hand."

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...ole+for+Janish
    If all five are healthy, you gotta believe chances are pretty good that Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Chapman and Leake are the 2011 startiing rotation (if not sooner).

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    If all five are healthy, you gotta believe chances are pretty good that Bailey, Cueto, Volquez, Chapman and Leake are the 2011 startiing rotation
    I can't imagine the Reds of all teams going into a season with the vets in the rotation being 25 years old (Volquez will be 27, but Bailey and Cueto will have more MLB experience by the start of 2011 if they stay healthy this season).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I can't imagine the Reds of all teams going into a season with the vets in the rotation being 25 years old (Volquez will be 27, but Bailey and Cueto will have more MLB experience by the start of 2011 if they stay healthy this season).
    Yeah DD, but with strong seasons from the youngsters, I can't see them bringing back Arroyo or Harang with that type of talent ready - especially with guys like Wood and Klinker in the wings for depth.

Maybe one of the young guns falter and they bring back Bronson OR Aaron, but their dollars could go along way toward filling a hole in LF or SS - or maybe signing Votto or Bruce.

If.......................

I'd like to thank OBM for all the updates, I'm thirsty for Reds News.

I hope we can keep this thread on topic so the members of RedsZone can appreciate it in the manner OBM intended.

Turn Off Ads?