Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Puppy Shopping

Puppy Shopping

Our 18 year old beagle mix died about 6 months ago, and I think we're ready to start over.

http://www.capeannanimalaid.com/news...tabledogs.html

We already decided on a shelter dog, and a male retriever mix is our first choice. This shelter is close enough for us to get to before they open in the morning, and they're already closed for the night and the site updated, so nobody will be adopted before we can get there. Anyone see anything they like?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Puppy Shopping

I liked them all but Sirena was my favorite.
    Good luck.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    I liked them all but Sirena was my favorite.
    Good luck.
    Thanks. I like her a lot, too, but one family member is very attached to us getting a male dog.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Blowing away bad memories Redsfan320's Avatar

I like Serafin myself, although Simmon looked good too.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Oscar...I am a dachshund owner. Great breed.

Couldn't pay me a million dollars to own a Beagle. The howling is just too much.

You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Get a mastiff and ride to work in style!
    Witty signature.

I'll add another vote for Oscar.

Don't think you can go wrong with a lab mix. They are great dogs, but they do chew when they are young.

When my wife and I went to pick out dogs we were set on one dog. We showed up at the shelter and another dog ran right up to us and was jumping on our legs. The dog we originally had wanted held back. We just kind of said the dog picked us.

Don't get your heart set on one dog until you get out to the shelter.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Thanks. I like her a lot, too, but one family member is very attached to us getting a male dog.
    In all the dogs I've owned- and I have dearly loved my boys- the females have been much easier to train. I'm no dog whisperer, but I have also noticed a difference in the way they acclimate to family and kids (their pack, I guess).

And your choice should also be based on your lifestyle. If you're willing to exercise the dog hard every day, those retriever/shepherd mixes will be great. But if you don't make them work off their energy, they will chew your house to shreds for two years. Those are the ones I'd get- I think just about any shepherd mix (I have one now) is a great dog, especially since their breeding makes them want to always come back to you (my old girl used to herd my male Lab and bring him back!)

Good luck!
    Last edited by SunDeck; 02-18-2010 at 10:11 AM.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Im partial to males myself. Never had a female dog, grown too accustomed to saying good boy that I don't want to change my ways.

Serafin
    "I've never understood the term "women and children" as if their lives are somewhat more important than men."

I would vote for Bella or Claudia. Both beagle or beagle mix. Bella being older would be a plus as you won't need to go through housebreaking her which should help with the transition from an older dog. Nice group of puppies.

bump

Did you go down to see the pups in person?

Turn Off Ads?