Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Puppy Shopping

Re: Puppy Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    I just filled out an application with Emerald Coast Golden Retriever Rescue for this dog:

http://www.ecgrr.com/content/view/614/88/

I've been saying for two years I was going to rescue a dog to team with my terror, errr, my Chocolate Lab, but methinks I might finally have gone and done it. We'll see how the adoption process goes and whether someone adopts her with priority over me.
    Good for you, I hope you get her. I did kind of want a golden, I've never had one, but they seem like really wonderful dogs.
    Last edited by blumj; 02-25-2010 at 08:48 AM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Good for you, I hope you get her. I did kind of want a golden, I've never had one, but they seem like really wonderful dogs.
    Old goldens are simply the best dogs on the planet. Young goldens can be quite hyper. They need lots of training and exercise.

Speaking of exercise, Labs need lots of it, too. The ones that I have seen that are in good condition have all been working dogs. Pet Labs tend to get overweight in a hurry. There are a host of health problems related to obesity in dogs, so it is something to pay close attention to.

My family's had 2 goldens. One is doing fine at age 8, the other had to be put down last month at age 12. Great dogs.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post
    Old goldens are simply the best dogs on the planet. Young goldens can be quite hyper. They need lots of training and exercise.

Speaking of exercise, Labs need lots of it, too. The ones that I have seen that are in good condition have all been working dogs. Pet Labs tend to get overweight in a hurry. There are a host of health problems related to obesity in dogs, so it is something to pay close attention to.
    Thanks, we went through some of that with the beagle mix so we're aware and hopefully won't make the same mistakes again.

Funny thing about puppies, yesterday, Wiley acted like going out in the rain was torture, today, it's the most fun thing in the world. Three days ago, the cat was the scariest thing he ever saw, today, its just another toy, although it's a toy that doesn't particularly want to play with him. If you haven't had a young one in a while and have the ability to take care of one, I recommend it. I forgot how much fun this is.
    Last edited by blumj; 02-25-2010 at 04:53 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Brittney puppies are the cutest things on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Brittney puppies are the cutest things on the planet.
    Kittens are the cutest things on the planet, IMO. The only problem with kittens is that they grow up to be cats, and cats are smart enough to figure out that we're nothing special.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Heeler View Post

My parents have two labs, a 2.5 year old boy named Samson (Sammy) and a 1.5 year old female named Jasmine (Jazzy) . I thought Sammy was a bundle of energy until they brought Jazzy home. She's insane and completely jealous of Sammy -- anything he shows the slightest interest in, she has to have. Whether it's somebody petting him or him picking up a toy. She'll jump in between, run over to steal the toy, you name it. Just crazy. We're hoping she chills out as she gets older (and after my parents breed them...)
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Every time I skim through the thread topics on the non-chatter side I have read this title as Puppy Shooting. I have now clicked on it twice... Go with an australian shepherd. I have had 2. Easiest dogs to train I have ever had. The 1st one died from Parvo (yes he was vaccinated) but he was a genius when it came to dogs. I taught him all the basic tricks; sit, stay, lay down, roll over, but he also some learned some pretty good ones as well, play dead (from a bang bang sound), catch a frisbee, and how to open the fridge on command (was working on him getting a beer out of the fridge before he died. Genius as far as dogs go. The other Aussie I had I gave to my boss when I found out I was coming to Korea. He's wicked smart too but not on the 1st ones level.

Either way enjoy your new pet.

I just filled out an application with Emerald Coast Golden Retriever Rescue for this dog:

http://www.ecgrr.com/content/view/614/88/

I've been saying for two years I was going to rescue a dog to team with my terror, errr, my Chocolate Lab, but methinks I might finally have gone and done it. We'll see how the adoption process goes and whether someone adopts her with priority over me.
    Adoption pending? Did you get her?

No, I did not get her. She got adopted by her foster family.

But I went through all the processes so I am pre-approved for the next time.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

No, I did not get her. She got adopted by her foster family.

But I went through all the processes so I am pre-approved for the next time.
    Good luck, I hope you find your new dog soon. But it's great that she found her home without having to leave her home.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

As somebody that works in a shelter, thanks for going through a shelter. lol

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    As somebody that works in a shelter, thanks for going through a shelter. lol
    You're very welcome. How do you stop yourself from bringing 12 dogs and 30 cats home with you?

Just watched "Babe" with my kids. I love the Border Collies in that film. My current dog is a 13 year-old Border Collie mix and I love her. Heck of a dog to train, because they're so smart and tend to have a dominant streak to them (love to herd just about anything and everything, even other dogs and children). When we were doing obedience school, the trainer said that Border Collies will test you at every opportunity, and they aren't easily trained using food as a motivator (unlike, say, retrievers, who will do just about anything for a treat). Once you train them though, they are awesome. Their smarts, speed and agility make them excellent agility dogs. I only wish we had had a good agility park around when she was young.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    You're very welcome. How do you stop yourself from bringing 12 dogs and 30 cats home with you?
    The cats part is easy, I'm allergic to them

The dogs, however, it's hard not to take them all home. But seeing them come and go, you know they're for the most part going to good homes.

I'm moving soon though, and when I get into the new house, I expect to have at least 2 new additions lol

Turn Off Ads?