Turn Off Ads?

Thread: spring training question

spring training question

I'm in sarasota due to a family member in the hospital. we fly out tomorrow evening, however I thought about going down to Ed Smith stadium and checking out the Baltimore Orioles workouts. Which brings me to my question. If I went down there would there be anything to see? Would it be worth going? Just thought it'd be fun to check it out possibly. It's ironic that I've always wanted to go to Reds spring training growing up and now circumstance brings me to sarasota and the reds are here anymore. My dad is good though and we are returning to ohio tomorrow night. Thanks.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: spring training question

I'm pretty sure its free so yes its worth it.
    Dont miss your plane tho.

I would actually love to hear how the stadium looks now, it has a lot of memories from going to games but also family reason for me, as my great grandmother lived across hte st before she passed away. I wonder what happened to al lthe signs, etc for hte Reds htere? I "got" the Reds players parking sign when they left Plant City.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

Can anyone remember the reason given why the Reds left Plant City. I know the city built the Reds a great state of the art facility when they moved from Tampa, but kinda wonder why they left it for an older facility in Sarasota.

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    Can anyone remember the reason given why the Reds left Plant City. I know the city built the Reds a great state of the art facility when they moved from Tampa, but kinda wonder why they left it for an older facility in Sarasota.
    Plant City is a hell hole,that's why they moved. Sarasota had more to offer, beach etc.

Have you been to Plant City? It is no different then most other towns in Florida. True there is no beach, but the facilities were much better, brand new and the area was cheaper to stay for fans. Sarasota is nice, but if you don't have riches, you can't stay there. Plus PC offered you more things to do for fans closer. Plus cincy knew what PC was like before they made the move. To me it was just not a smart move to Sarasota

Quote Originally Posted by Carin4Narron View Post
    Plant City is a hell hole,that's why they moved. Sarasota had more to offer, beach etc.

Have you been to Plant City? It is no different then most other towns in Florida. True there is no beach, but the facilities were much better, brand new and the area was cheaper to stay for fans. Sarasota is nice, but if you don't have riches, you can't stay there. Plus PC offered you more things to do for fans closer. Plus cincy knew what PC was like before they made the move. To me it was just not a smart move to Sarasota
    Plant City is a cest pool! You can't say it's no different from any other towns in FLA. For a example, Dunelin-sp where the Blue Jays train is a charming town. Before moving, the Rays trained in a beautiful area of St.Pete.

Didn't make it then. The pitchers and catchers weren't going to be out until 1pm. Oh well.

I ahve to agree the facialites seemed much nicer there, but PC stunk. But, Iw ould also agree that puts it with most Fl cities. I hated it in Sarasoata overall-hated that city, it was mostly a dump too that has a nice richy part in it as well, weird combination that gave the city a weird feeling to me.
    UNC Tar Heels 2009 National Champions 5 time NCAA Champs
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09
    Go Heels!!!!!

There is hardly a "dump" in Fla., but Plant City was very close. not only is it inland, but ther is just nothing there. If the Reds had been more patient---(they had 2 years of options in Sarasota) they could have made a deal in Ft. Myers/Lee County. When Sarasota tried to lure the Bosox from Ft. Myers, Lee County steps to the plate and tells the Sox we'll build you a new complex, like we did the Twins. Ft. Myers then *****es until the county again steps up and says we'll help you up-grade facilities to lure another team. Shoulda' been the Reds..........................

After 10 of the last 11 years at ST, I won't be going anymore. The Reds will learn like the Cubs did moving to Az., "Our fan base didn't follow us to Az."

From March 9th, 2009:

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Derrick Hall, CEO and president of the Arizona Diamondbacks, couldn't believe what he was hearing or seeing last week.

He was at HoHoKam Park, spring training home of the Chicago Cubs, and instead of the sound of Cubs fans, there were loud roars for the Diamondbacks.

"We're beating the Cubs, and the place is erupting," Hall says. "It was so strange. I know we're in our home state, but during spring training, you usually can't get a ticket in Mesa, and they're all Cubs fans. This time, the place wasn't sold out, and the majority were Diamondback fans.

"That just showed me how the economy is keeping people from traveling here from Chicago."

The San Francisco Giants had a similar experience in their spring opener in Scottsdale. They were anticipating a sellout crowd for their Feb. 26 game against the Los Angeles Dodgers, but instead, the place was half-empty, with an announced crowd of 5,803.

"I couldn't believe all of the empty seats," Giants third-base coach Tim Flannery says. "I mean, Giants-Dodgers, after all of those years being in Vero Beach? Wow.

"I used to have friends call me and say, 'Can you help us out?" because there were no tickets available. Now, I tell them, 'You can buy your own ticket now.' "

The recession has hit hard in the Phoenix area, and exhibition games in Arizona haven't been immune. Through the first 11 days of exhibitions, average attendance was 4,472, down from 5,719 at a similar point in 2008.

The restaurant business is down about 20%, says Don Carson, owner of the popular Don and Charlie's in Scottsdale. Golf and baseball packages have dropped substantially in price.

"You see it everywhere," Baltimore Orioles scout Gary Roenicke says. "I used to have to keep my hotel window closed because it was so noisy from the bars across the street. But it's so quiet now, it doesn't matter."

Russell Brooks, president of the Meridian CondoResorts in Scottsdale, says business has plummeted by nearly 50% this spring. There have been far fewer golf packages sold, and none involving spring training.

He says tee times are far easier to come by, and some that once went for $300 can be had for $99.

The players have noticed the attendance drop-off, too. The Cubs still lead the Cactus League in attendance, but they're averaging about 3,000 fewer fans than a year ago when they drew a total of 12,805 a game, and they're down more than 1,500 from this time last spring.

"It's a packed house here usually," Cubs second baseman Mike Fontenot says. "A couple of days you saw a lot of empty seats. You were like, 'Well, maybe it's just early.' But it's getting to the point where with the economy, tickets sales are taking a little bit of a hit. We (will) try to do our part, get out there and sign autographs and stuff."

If nothing else, says Los Angeles Angels vice president Tim Mead, catching a few hours of baseball can ease some pain.

"People are not going to be without entertainment," Mead says. "We all need a relief or a release from what's going on in the world."

-----------------------------------------------------------------

So, the Cubs have drawn well in Arizona until last year. They, like everybody else, didn't last year (in Arizona) because of the economy. But, there probably would have been enough local Cubs fans in Florida where the "economy" wouldn't have mattered, if the Cubs would have been there instead last season.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turn Off Ads?