Turn Off Ads?

Thread: REDS ranked 2nd in Division (17th overall) in Sportsline's latest rankings...

REDS ranked 2nd in Division (17th overall) in Sportsline's latest rankings...

By Larry Dobrow...

Last ranking: 21st (last year)

This ranking: 17th (first ranking of the year, and were 16th at this time last year)

Love the ...: Chutzpah. When one outlined the list of potential destinations for young, acey Cuban lefty Aroldis "A-Rold" Chapman, the Reds weren't on it. Still, he's a better gamble than just about any free-agent pitcher they could get for the same cash, especially if he manages to avoid the ligament-grinder that IS Dusty Baker.

Hate the ...: Names. Looking up and down the Reds roster, one sees just enough familiar faces to think, "Hmm, maybe there's something here." I don't buy it. Most of those players -– Scott Rolen, Orlando Cabrera, Bronson Arroyo, Aaron Harang, Francisco Cordero –- are on the downside.

Quote of note: "On-base percentage is a myth perpetuated by the liberal media, just like asteroids and the electric car." –- Dusty Baker.

Bump them up if ...: Homer Bailey builds on the success he enjoyed at the end of 2009. Granted, much of that success came against the ghost lineups of the Pirates and Marlins, but it was success all the same.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: REDS ranked 2nd in Division (17th overall) in Sportsline's latest rankings...

Here's what Larry Dobrow wrote last year at this time...

02/16/2009

16th

Chris Dickerson ain't great, but he's a far better player in most ways that matter than Willy Tavarez, the guy he'll back up. ...

When was the last time the Reds had a front four as strong as Harang/Volquez/Arroyo/Cueto? 1976? ...

Utility wisp Jerry Hairston projects as the prime-time guy in left. Insert could've-used-Abreu-or-Dunn blurb here. ...

I own Edinson Volquez in like 31 Fantasy leagues. The idea that his baseball adolescence will be managed by a certified arm-shredder like Dusty Baker makes my teeth hurt.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: REDS ranked 2nd in Division (17th overall) in Sportsline's latest rankings...

Nobody knows what will happen this season. The problem in projecting the Reds is that they have enough veterans that could fall apart, but enough young guys who could come into their own. Knowing what will happen is a crapshoot.

This is the kind of team that could have it all come together, plus they have good minor league depth on the verge of the majors anyway, in case of injuries to the major league squad. It's not like if one or two guys go down they have no answers.

If this team stays healthy and the pitching staff is up to par, this team will make some noise in an otherwise weak NL Central.

Pastor, dad and husband Mr Larkin's Avatar

This is the first legit chance the Reds have had for a successful season in a long time. Things have to still fall into place, but I think it is actually possible this year. Good rotation - Harange needs to make comeback and I think he can. Solid infield - I think the infield is as solid as it has been in a decade. Promising outfield - if Stubbs and Bruce play up to their actual talent, then left field will be merely gravy. Bullpen - the stregnth of the team and one of the best in the NL.
    I have hope that this could be a special year or launch us into a special time.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Here's what Larry Dobrow wrote last year at this time...

02/16/2009

16th

Chris Dickerson ain't great, but he's a far better player in most ways that matter than Willy Tavarez, the guy he'll back up. ...

When was the last time the Reds had a front four as strong as Harang/Volquez/Arroyo/Cueto? 1976? ...

Utility wisp Jerry Hairston projects as the prime-time guy in left. Insert could've-used-Abreu-or-Dunn blurb here. ...

I own Edinson Volquez in like 31 Fantasy leagues. The idea that his baseball adolescence will be managed by a certified arm-shredder like Dusty Baker makes my teeth hurt.

Scary how right he was on all that.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    If this team stays healthy and the pitching staff is up to par, this team will make some noise in an otherwise weak NL Central.
    I completely agree with this post. The central is really weak this year and it may just come down to whos healthy at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    Nice post.

The health had been great until about 10 days ago. We were only without Volquez, Dickerson, Burton and Bray. But, then we lost Bailey, Votto and Hanigan.

Now, we're being tested....like during Day games when Dusty wants to give Rolen a day off. Without Rolen AND Hanigan and Dickerson, and if Dusty sits another starter in those Day games, then it becomes tough to score runs. We almost have to win 3-2, 2-1, or 1-0. (Or 3-1, 3-0, or 2-0, of course.)

Turn Off Ads?