Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Reds prospects will take the biggest leap forward in 2010?

Re: Which Reds prospects will take the biggest leap forward in 2010?

Chris Valaika. Stupid injury last year cost him status as a prospect, but he's hit at every level when healthy. I have doubts he can stick at SS, but he could be a Jeff Kent type 2B offensively.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

The answer is Yonder Alonso. Come mid season, his bat will be more than Major League ready.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Chris Valaika. Stupid injury last year cost him status as a prospect, but he's hit at every level when healthy. I have doubts he can stick at SS, but he could be a Jeff Kent type 2B offensively.
    I was high on Valaika before. But his OBP is terrible. It is strictly BA driven. Unlike Francisco he does not have plus plus power or even plus power to raise his OPS... He will have to sustain a high BABIP to be sucessful in the ML.

Before I get the argument... His Career OBP is only.39 pts higher than his BA...

Francisco's is .30 a difference of .09. While his slugging is .42 lower...

Valakia could become a much better INF bench option if get him more time at 2B where he probably will be at AAA and some time at 3B... I am sure he plays SS better than Keppinger and Hariston combined already.

1B Alonso
    2B Phillips
    3B Rolen
    SS Cozart
    LF Votto
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    C Hernandez

OF Heisey
    OF Dickerson
    IF Valakia
    UT Frazier
    C Hanigan

SP Cueto
    SP Volquez
    SP Chapman
    SP Bailey
    SP Wood

RP Fisher
    RP Herrera
    RP Del Rosario
    RP Bray
    RP Thurman
    SU Arrenaddo
    CL Massett

Your 2011 Reds

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    The answer is Yonder Alonso. Come mid season, his bat will be more than Major League ready.
    Unless I misread the 1st post I'm not sure how Alonso could pull this feat off. He can't jump any higher than 1 spot and odds are many will jump much further than that. Which is why I chose Corcino and Arias 2 guys who could both jump 20 spots in the rankings from now 'til then.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I was high on Valaika before. But his OBP is terrible. It is strictly BA driven. Unlike Francisco he does not have plus plus power or even plus power to raise his OPS... He will have to sustain a high BABIP to be sucessful in the ML.

Before I get the argument... His Career OBP is only.39 pts higher than his BA...

Francisco's is .30 a difference of .09. While his slugging is .42 lower...

Valakia could become a much better INF bench option if get him more time at 2B where he probably will be at AAA and some time at 3B... I am sure he plays SS better than Keppinger and Hariston combined already.

1B Alonso
    2B Phillips
    3B Rolen
    SS Cozart
    LF Votto
    CF Stubbs
    RF Bruce
    C Hernandez

OF Heisey
    OF Dickerson
    IF Valakia
    UT Frazier
    C Hanigan

SP Cueto
    SP Volquez
    SP Chapman
    SP Bailey
    SP Wood

RP Fisher
    RP Herrera
    RP Del Rosario
    RP Bray
    RP Thurman
    SU Arrenaddo
    CL Massett

Your 2011 Reds
    Since when is a BA-driven OBP bad? Last time I checked, a hit> a walk. Sure, walks never struggle, but I definitely prefer a (random numbers) .310 BA/.350 OBP guy to a .260BA/.350OBP guy
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Toward the end of last season, I began to have doubts about Valaika at SS too. He seemed to have a lot of trouble getting the ball to 1B unless he was set when he fielded the ball.

Toward the end of last season, I began to have doubts about Valaika at SS too. He seemed to have a lot of trouble getting the ball to 1B unless he was set when he fielded the ball.
    I have to say, I was surprised at how mechanical Valaika was in throwing the ball to 1st. He played 2nd the game I saw, and he seemed to have some kind of hitch between taking the ball from his glove and throwing it. Definitely did not look smooth or quick to me.

I really hope that Alonso really is an impact bat and good enough to move Joey off 1B, but I'd at least like see him put together a 25HR/90RBBI-type season (with a buttload of doubles) in Louisbille to be sure he's the Real Deal and not just "el Alcalde de la Parte Dos"
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-19-2010 at 04:01 PM.

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Since when is a BA-driven OBP bad? Last time I checked, a hit> a walk. Sure, walks never struggle, but I definitely prefer a (random numbers) .310 BA/.350 OBP guy to a .260BA/.350OBP guy
    Because if Valaika hit .260 history suggests his OBP would be .290. Out comes the RZ pitchforks... Plus Valaika isn't a contact hitter he strikes out in the 16 to 20% range while his BB % is closer to 5 to 7% He needs to double that. Then if he hits .260 at least his OBP would be closer to a bench player okish .320 ~ .330.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Because if Valaika hit .260 history suggests his OBP would be .290. Out comes the RZ pitchforks... Plus Valaika isn't a contact hitter he strikes out in the 16 to 20% range while his BB % is closer to 5 to 7% He needs to double that. Then if he hits .260 at least his OBP would be closer to a bench player okish .320 ~ .330.
    Doubling his walk rate would be a bit much. 14% walk rates are elite. If he can get to the 8% range he wouldn't likely hurt you if he hit .260.

I like the Valaika pick. Bucholtz, too, may re-emerge as a top prospect.

But my picks are all pitchers:
    -- Tyler Cline-- Young, but plus stuff. He may dominate two levels this year. (Or it may be a year early on him.)

-- Lotzkar and Hidenbrandt-- Both have great stuff and questions aboot (Canadian spelling, there, eh?) mechanics. One of them breaks out this year as a possible TOR arm.

I don't see him as a .260 hitter. with few exceptions, once he adjusts to a level, he's always been a .300 hitter with some power. I think he spends the whole year at AAA with a possible promotion come September. .315 .360 .450.

And if he gets a real handle on playing 2B, he'll make it tough not to dangle BP.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I'm gonna go on record and say that Dave Sappelt will have a very good, breakout year this year. He doesn't get any press and only Alonso had a higher batting average in the dreaded Florida league. This league swallowed up Mesoraco and Soto last year, but not Sappelt! I predict he mashes the ball this year!!!

My favorite low end prospects are Del Rosario, Serrano, Jacob Johnson, Henry Rodriguez, Buchholz, Horst, Fellhauer, and Cline. I think all of these guys have the ability to help their prospect status this year.

I predict that Valaika is a monster this year. The guy can hit! He was hurt last year (partly his own doing). I think he's on a mission.

Kinda OT, but I think I recall the Nats returned Terrell Young. Is he still in the Reds system?
    Last edited by corkedbat; 02-19-2010 at 08:22 PM.

Reports of our "overweight" catching prospect have turned out to be completely false:

Mesoraco is doing just fine. Hat tip to CNATI, of course.

Turn Off Ads?