Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey people, the plural of RBI is RBIs - STOP THE PRETENTIOUSNESS

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Hey people, the plural of RBI is RBIs - STOP THE PRETENTIOUSNESS

It's getting trendy to say "RBI" to represent the plural of "RBI" (e.g. "Hack Wilson had 190 RBI in his best year."). I'm not sure when it started. The first guy I can remember doing it was Keith Olbermann back in his SportsCenter days. Whoever started this needs to be spanked. The plural of RBI is RBIs.

In the English language, absent bizarre exceptions, we use the letter s to represent the plural. Bizarre exceptions include word reindeer, even though it always makes me smile when little kids say "reindeers." This convention extends to acronyms.

To refer to multiple attorneys general in the acronym form one says "AGs". ("The AGs of the Northeastern states will have a conference call to discuss interstate liquor sales"). To refer to multiple prisoners of war or weapons of mass destruction, one says "POWs" or "WMDs."

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200409/wallraff

We are a smart-minded messages board based in a non-pretentious midwestern town. We have the sense to know that RBI are not reindeer. So I urge you to resist this annoying trend to use "RBI" to represent the plural form.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Hey people, the plural of RBI is RBIs - STOP THE PRETENTIOUSNESS

If we're going to be technical, shouldn't it be RsBI?
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Doesn't RBI stand for runs batted in which is plural. I see no need for an s though I do see an s added to mpg when it refers miles per gallon but never an s when it is minutes per game.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bill View Post
    Doesn't RBI stand for runs batted in which is plural. I see no need for an s though I do see an s added to mpg when it refers miles per gallon but never an s when it is minutes per game.
    Yes, but like he pointed out, Weapons of Mass Destruction are referred to as WMDs (not WMD) when people are speaking in the plural form (even though the first word is "weapons" plural). Once something becomes an acronym, you need to put an "s" on the end of it to make it plural. If you were spelling it out, it would be different.

Of course it's "Runs" batted in (plural). But once you make it into the acronym "RBI" you have to put an "s" on the end of it to make it plural.

If this doesn't make sense to you, you simply didn't score high enough on your ACT or SAT back in the day. ;-)

Heck, I still slip sometimes and say I'm going to Krogers.
    I've been to dinner at Jimmy Buffet's house, and I've eaten it at a homeless shelter. And there's great joy and harrowing terror to be found in both places.
    -Todd Snider

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

91- you are correct.

Didn't think so at first but everything I'm reading supports what you are saying.

I'm careful to pronounce the apostrophe clearly, so people know I'm using the possessive, except for when it's not. Kroger's grocery store.

Who care's

Quote Originally Posted by 919191 View Post
    Heck, I still slip sometimes and say I'm going to Krogers.

I still go to Walmarts.

RBI, RBIs? Is it really that much of a big deal? The message still gets across OK doesn't it?

I pronouce Ohio as Ohia, and worsh my clothes.

So I'm a hilligan.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

Another confusing one is people tend to use 'DFA'ed' in refernce to some designated for assingment, which apparently would mean they were designat for assignmented. I usually just say something like 'A's DFA Willy Taveras'.
    "Since I've been with the Reds in 1989, we've never had a farm system this loaded," Bowden said. "If we were the New York Yankees and had unlimited dollars, we could have traded for Colon, (Jeff) Weaver, Rolen, (Cliff) Floyd, (Kenny) Rogers and Finley and gotten them all -- and still held onto our top five prospects. That's an amazing statement."

Right, acronyms. Somehow I missed that sentence/explanation from the original post.

I hate acronyms. RBI is good of course, a classic, but everything is an acronym anymore as if we no longer have time to use words. Texting is not helping either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Another confusing one is people tend to use 'DFA'ed' in refernce to some designated for assingment, which apparently would mean they were designat for assignmented. I usually just say something like 'A's DFA Willy Taveras'.
    Yeah, that's a good one. I think it would fall under the same catagory though.

BTW, I love The Life and Times of Tim. I've got last night's on the DVR, but haven't watched it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    We have the sense to know that RBI are not reindeer.
    Don't you mean, "we have the sense to know RBIs are not raindeer."

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Yeah, that's a good one. I think it would fall under the same catagory though.

BTW, I love The Life and Times of Tim. I've got last night's on the DVR, but haven't watched it yet.
    You mean you DVR'd it? (That's one I've been known to use.)
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Thanks Chili. I was used to using RBIs since I'm not that young, and that's what we called them back then. Then I see everyone using RBI without the "s' and I figured I was an idiot all these years.
    I'm still an idiot, but at least this isn't the reason!
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Turn Off Ads?