Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds expect decision from Gomes by Sunday.

Reds expect decision from Gomes by Sunday.

Per MLBTR, Per Fay.

Really hope they get him. If Heisey doesn't work out, imagine Gomes' power platooning with Dickerson's OBP.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds expect decision from Gomes by Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Per MLBTR, Per Fay.

Really hope they get him. If Heisey doesn't work out, imagine Gomes' power platooning with Dickerson's OBP.

That would balance out the Outfield and the Bench.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I view him as insurance if the young guys don't work out. But if they do, this is a wasted situation, and I'd rather go with Heisey if he does put up good numbers.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I like Gomes, I think he will fit nicely with our other veterans. He is a guy that will step up and pick a fight with someone, we need that on our team. I also think he needs us more than we need him, which is beneficial to us. I say we let the young guys season in AA or AAA 1 more year, Gomes could be the bridge to the next generation. Also, you really cant argue with Gomes body of work last year, he put up really good numbers against lefties. And why would you want Heisey platooning? Let him get plate appearances against both left and right handed pitchers.

I think it's a total shame that Gomes isn't getting a chance anywhere in baseball, but I have to say that I think he will block progress here for the younger guys, and cause us to spend money, albeit not a lot, but with little pay-off over what would be there anyway for less money. I guess it's a good situation for the Red's, but it does blow for Gomes.

We need Gomes. This ensures the young guys Vlad, Frazier, Heisey, Fransisco aren't pushed into playing before they're ready to contribute.

Gomes and Dickerson can platoon until one of the youngsters forces Dusty to make a change. Or Gomes and Nix platoon while Dickerson and Stubbs platoon in center.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    I think he will block progress here for the younger guys, and cause us to spend money, albeit not a lot, but with little pay-off over what would be there anyway for less money.
    Who knows how much more than minimum we'll end up paying Gomes if he makes the ML team.

Blocking the youngsters? Probably the best thing for Heisey is to start the year in AAA playing everyday. At most he'd platoon out there in left anyways unless Dickerson really stinks it up.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I like having gomes as a pinch hitter with some pop from the right side. As long as thats all he is. Dont see him as any type of everyday player.

I really hope he decides to move on. I would rather see someone like Juan Frans., Heisey, Dickerson or Frazier make the club. All would provide better defense than Gomes and save money. Just my opinion.

Disagree.

There's a chance we have the best pitching in the division. With a little offense the Reds could contend. We need Gomes' power in left field. I love the young talent, but we don't want to depend on Heisey or Frazier. Gomes hit 20 bombs last year and Nix 15. That needs to be the left field situation until a young guy forces his way onto the field.

Old Red Guard Reject

So who are your five OFers for opening day?
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

So who are your five OFers for opening day?
    Mine: Gomes, Stubbs, Bruce, Francisco, and 1 of many, many, many, many, MANY people currently under the team's control.

Last edited by Redsfan320; 02-20-2010 at 08:18 PM.
    I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Old Red Guard Reject

I think Stubbs, Bruce, Dickerson, Gomes and either Nix or Balentein.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Forget all those "many"s. I knew I was forgetting Dickerson. With that:

Gomes, Stubbs, Dickerson, Bruce, Francisco (but maybe Heisey, Frazier, Alonso, Nix, [preferably not Balentin])

Last edited by Redsfan320; 02-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.

Bruce, Stubbs, Dickerson, Gomes, Nix

Turn Off Ads?