Thread: Must-Have Freeware

Re: Must-Have Freeware

I've heard Windows 7 is pretty nice.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    What is so bad about Windows 7?
    A lot of computer snobs hate it because it's not the OS they use and/or is made by Microsoft.

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    A lot of computer snobs hate it because it's not the OS they use and/or is made by Microsoft.
    Lots of people like paying an extra $500-$1k so they can have a picture of a partially eaten fruit on their CPU box.

In that same vein - RocketDock is one of my favorite free apps. It basically cribs Apple's app launcher bar so you can put it on your PC. Done wonders to clean up my desktop.

http://rocketdock.com/

Also can't recommend Open Office enough. I use Office 07 At work and Open Office at home at the integration of the two are pretty seamless.
    Last edited by jmcclain19; 02-23-2010 at 08:39 PM.

So there is nothing wrong with it at all? Gotcha.

I dunno, I'm a computer snob and I and every other snob I know like Windows 7 quite a bit. The only problems I've encountered are because some manufacturers don't want to make drivers for some of their older hardware.

The only person I've heard rip on Windows 7 is the Mac commercial, I have it on my laptop and it's fine, as is XP on my desktops.

In fact most computer snobs I know are snobby but could care less about Macs. But then again 100% of the computer snobs I know actually program software so they prefer to work on Win Machines over Macs everyday of the year.

XP is an ok OS if you keep it updated, firewalled and avoid IE6 like the plague. Windows 7 is light years better IMO. Vista should be ignored like the creepy uncle you don't leave alone with the kids.

I have to push Smart Defrag again though. after spyware/malware and all the crap Glary and CCleaner gets rid of, a fragmented HD is a big reason machines slow down. Smart Defrag will do its work on a schedule and whenever the machine is idle. with various types of defragging too. Just love it, great software.
    Suck it up cupcake.

IE 6 is not supported by Windows in 2010, we have a whole division that still has it, it's a UI nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IE 6 is not supported by Windows in 2010, we have a whole division that still has it, it's a UI nightmare.
    yup and we have people here doing the same thing and REFUSING to update to newer browsers because they "don't want to lose anything."
    Suck it up cupcake.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I have to push Smart Defrag again though. after spyware/malware and all the crap Glary and CCleaner gets rid of, a fragmented HD is a big reason machines slow down. Smart Defrag will do its work on a schedule and whenever the machine is idle. with various types of defragging too. Just love it, great software.
    I'm downloading it right now on my PC. I hope it lives up to your recommendation.
    The contents of this post may be disseminated without the express written consent of the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball.

Cincinnati's premiere expedited trucking company

Quote Originally Posted by jmcclain19 View Post
    Lots of people like paying an extra $500-$1k so they can have a picture of a partially eaten fruit on their CPU box.

In that same vein - RocketDock is one of my favorite free apps. It basically cribs Apple's app launcher bar so you can put it on your PC. Done wonders to clean up my desktop.

http://rocketdock.com/
    I like RocketDock, too. Especially on my netbook where space is at a premium.

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    XP is an ok OS if you keep it updated, firewalled and avoid IE6 like the plague. Windows 7 is light years better IMO. Vista should be ignored like the creepy uncle you don't leave alone with the kids.
    This was my exact impression. I've had Windows XP for the past ~5 years, and I've had hardly any trouble. The one time I did, it was from a trojan on a local website.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRightHander View Post
    I'm downloading it right now on my PC. I hope it lives up to your recommendation.
    ORH, the immediate improvement will be seen the next time you turn it on, but that's the case anytime you defrag. It has three modes, defrag, fast optimize and deep optimize. the optimize means it tries to put the clusters of a file as close to each other as possible, making the load of the file faster. If you set it to auto defrag when idle, you won't get more that 2-3% fragmented, even after 6 months of use.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Evernote - like OneNote
    7-Zip - like WinRAR
    GIMP - like Photoshop
    SpamBays - add-on for Outlook
    KompoZer - like FrontPage (used to be called NVU)

VLC
    CCleaner
    Open Office

Turn Off Ads?