Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League 2010 -- Season 2

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Redszone Dynasty League 2010 -- Season 2

Welcome to the second season of the Redszone Dynasty League!

All 12 managers from last year have returned to play again this year. I can say from experience that is very unusual in the realm of fantasy sports. It is a testament to the dedication of the managers and the structure of the league.

Last year was a tight struggle all year long. The competition was stiff, yet sportsmanship carried the day. Everybody was friendly and active. Strategies were well-planned, diverse and cunning. Some managers opted for "win now" mode while others built the foundations of a long-term dynasty.

Let's make this season as successful as the first season. As the league evolves it will be interesting to observe the dynasty dynamics as young players mature and older players decline. Our teams are mostly the same as last year, but there will be key differences too. A tantalizing new crop of prospects has burst onto the scene, but meanwhile some well-known players have reached the end of their careers. Some players have moved to new MLB homes via trade or free agency. Others have seen their roles change. It is time to evaluate our squads and adapt to the changing circumstances. Without a redraft trades will be more important than ever.

I encourage everyone to post their thoughts in this thread. It adds a lot of fun to a league when the managers actively discuss the league, debate strategies, negotiate trades, bemoan their misfortunes, talk smack, brag about their successes, commiserate with the bottom dwellers and congratulate the fortunate.

Re: Redszone Dynasty League 2010 -- Season 2

I will post the mostly complete rules here just so we have them in a convenient location for easy consultation. If I missed any rules please let me know. Like we did last year, if anyone has any suggested rules changes please send them to me or post them in this thread. Near the end of the season we can discuss them, then conduct a leaguewide vote. If a rule change is voted in by a majority it will be enacted for the following season.

Yahoo 5x5 Roto standard settings
    12 Teams
    Mixed League (NL & AL players)
    Dynasty Keeper league
    30 roster slots + 3 disabled list slots
    Max Teams: 12
    Scoring Type: Rotisserie
    Player Universe: All baseball
    New Players Become Available: As soon as Yahoo! adds them
    Max Moves: No maximum
    Max Trades: No maximum
    Trade End Date: August 29, 2010
    Waiver Time: 2 days
    Waiver Type: Continual rolling list
    Can't Cut List Provider: Yahoo! Sports
    Trade Review: Commissioner
    Post Draft Players: Follow Waiver Rules
    Max Games Played: 162
    Max Innings Pitched: 1350
    Weekly Deadline: Daily - Tomorrow
    Start Scoring on: Monday, Mar 29
    Roster Positions: C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, IF, OF, OF, OF, Util, Util, SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, DL, DL, DL
    Batters Stat Categories: Runs(R), Home Runs(HR), Runs Batted In(RBI), Stolen Bases(SB), Batting Average(AVG)
    Pitchers Stat Categories: Wins(W), Saves(SV), Strikeouts(K), Earned Run Average(ERA), Walks+Hits/IP(WHIP)

Season 1 Draft rules:
    1.You have 10 hours to make your pick. If you have not placed your pick within 10 hours, the next player can go ahead and post his pick. You do not lose your pick. You can still make your pick as soon as you return to the website.
    2. After you make your pick please email the next player to let him know it is his turn. This will speed up the draft. To send the email click on "Email League" at the top of any league page. Then click on the next player and send him a message.
    3. Yahoo will add players to the database after the draft has begun. Any player that is not available in the list at the time of the first pick of the draft will not be eligible to be drafted for the duration of the draft. Those players will be available on waivers after the draft. This rule is to make sure all team owners have an equal shot at all players. The commissioner will keep a list of all players ineligible to be drafted.
    4. To make your pick just post your draftee's name on the league message board like this: round.pick Player Name (1.1 Johan Santana or 5.12 Jay Bruce) Then you can add the player to your team by selecting him from the Free Agent list.
    5.If you ask someone else to post your pick or your draftee is on waivers the commissioner will add your player to your team page as soon as possible. Before you pick, make sure the player has not already been drafted.
    6. You can trade draft picks. The only pick you can't trade is the one that is "on the clock". We learned from experience that can cause long delays.
    7. The draft will be a snake draft. Even-numbered rounds will be the reverse of 1st round. Odd-numbered rounds will be the same order as round 1.
    8. If you have two consecutive draft picks you do NOT get two time slots before being skipped. For example, if you have the last pick of round 1 and the first pick of round 2 (picks 1.12 and 2.1) you only have 10 hours total to make both picks. If you have not made your picks within 10 hours of the time pick 1.11 was posted then the owner of pick 2.2 can skip you and post his pick.
    9. Multiple picks can be skipped. For example, 10 hours have elapsed since pick 4.3 was posted so pick 4.4 is skipped and pick 4.5 is on the clock. If 10 hours later pick 4.5 has not been posted then he is skipped and pick 4.6 is on the clock.

Season 1 Waiver Priority:
    The waiver priority for season 1 will be the reverse of the 1st round draft order.

Season 2+ Draft:
    The draft will be a snake draft consisting of five rounds. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis.

Season 2+ Waiver Priority:
    Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings.

Trade Protests:
    Trades can be protested only if cheating or collusion is suspected. Trades may not be protested due to being unbalanced, lopsided or stupid. If a trade is protested both owners may state their reasons for making the trade before a decision is made. If after the explanations anyone in the league suspects cheating or collusion then an annonymous vote will be held and 6 or more votes against the trade will nullify it. Owners involved in the trade do not vote, even if they have changed their mind about the trade.

Procedure to prevent tanking, negligence and abandonment:
    In order to keep the league fair, competitive and fun we need to ensure all owners pay attention all season long and try to field the best team they can every day. On occasions where an owner's attention wanes it is the commissioner's duty to urge that owner to do a better job. Of course there are justifiable reasons why an owner may neglect his team for a couple days (vacation, sickness etc) so there will be reminders and warnings before resorting to sanctions. If an owner leaves injured players or minor leaguers in his starting lineup or leaves star players on his bench for more than a few days the following process will be initiated:
    1st occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
    2nd occurence -- A polite reminder will be sent
    3rd occurence -- A warning will be sent
    4th occurence -- Offending owner's waiver priority will be set to 12
    5th occurence -- Offending owner will lose his 1st round draft pick the following year
    6th occurence -- Offending owner will not be invited back the following year

In the event an owner quits mid-season the commissioner must:
    1. Appoint a replacement owner if technically possible, or if not
    2. He must replace injured/demoted players in the starting lineup with the highest ranked player available on the team at that position. If no player on the team can fill the position the highest ranked free agent must be added and the worst player dropped. Any disputes must be voted on leaguewide. No trades can be made.

What do you guys think about starting the draft around March 15th? Seems like that would allow us to see what happens in the first 3+ weeks of Spring Training, yet still have plenty of time to complete the five-round draft before opening day.

Sounds good to me.

Anywa we could push that to the 17th? I coach high schools baseball, my schedule is getting nasty.
    "The Hall of Fame is there to keep alive the memory of people. You don't need to do that with people like Buck [O'Niel] and Joe [Nuxhall]. Nobody's forgetting those guys."

- Joe Posnanski

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenk29 View Post
    Anywa we could push that to the 17th? I coach high schools baseball, my schedule is getting nasty.
    OK. When it starts getting close to mid-March we can pinpoint the exact day to start.

17th would be better for me also .

Quote Originally Posted by cinredsfan2000 View Post
    17th would be better for me also .
    Well that is two votes for starting the 17th. It is fine with me. I just pulled the 15th out of a hat really. Starting the 17th should still give us plenty of time to complete 5 rounds before Opening Day.

Either way works for me.
    "I think we’re starting to get to the point where people are starting to get tired of this stretch of ball,” Votto said. “I think something needs to start changing and start going in a different direction. I’m going to do my part to help make that change.”

Stat geek...and proud

I might be willing to talk about trading up in the draft, if anybody wants to make an offer. But I'm not going to do anything stupid, either.

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    I might be willing to talk about trading up in the draft, if anybody wants to make an offer. But I'm not going to do anything stupid, either.
    + 1

I would also be open to dealing a couple arms for one better one.

Stat geek...and proud

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    + 1

I would also be open to dealing a couple arms for one better one.
    Welllll...I do need some bullpen help. Specifically, saves.

I know this is a little late but there's still a couple days left before draft day.

Anyway, there was a discussion about whether the draft should be a snake draft or a straight draft back in September but only half the league participated in the discussion and there was never a formal vote. I'd like to revisit the topic and for the league to have a vote on it now and I'll state my reasons why.

Like Atomic Dumpling said at the time, snake drafts are NEARLY universal. and he's right. BUT that's for redraft (one year) leagues and the 1st year of keeper leagues. I recently created a poll on another message board asking whether a snake draft or straight draft should be used for a keeper league when it ISN'T the initial draft. 75%+ of the votes ended up being for a straight draft. This was one of the responses:
    Yup, just to be clear - if the league is the original dynasty format (where you keep *every* player), the only way to achieve some sort of opportunity for cellar dwellars to improve (and it will still take a while) is to do a straight draft. A snake draft implies teams are fairly if not totally equal to start the season (redraft leagues or year 1 of a dynasty league).

In keeper leagues where there are a lot of new players drafted, as the gap isn't nearly as wide between the best & worst, a snake draft can be justified.

I suspect those who voted snake may be referring to keeper leagues with a lot of players still left to be drafted (but their keepers can be kept perpetually - which is where the dynasty term gets thrown around - but it isn't the original dynasty format). To be clear, the original dynasty format is *every player on your team is kept forever*, and the new draft each year is only for WW players or more importantly, MILB players who enter the draft system.

When you get to a true dynasty setup where all teams keep all their players, the draft consists of MILB players or WW reclamation projects - straight draft is the only way to provide some real means of giving the lower half of teams some hope to rebuild. If you want a league to thrive long-term, it's hard to see a snake draft helping out the bottom-half teams enough to keep their interest.

Hope that helps,

The fact is that one of the main ways that the weaker teams have to get stronger is through the draft. and a snake draft doesn't help them anymore than it helps the strong teams. And the strong teams don't need the help as much as the weak teams. If we really want this to remain a healthy, competitive league long-term I think those weak teams should have a chance to get back to respectability. A straight draft does that. A snake draft would help the strong teams more than a straight draft would so it would be easier for those strong teams to stay at the top. And I think the strong teams should have to work just as hard as everyone else and not have it easy. And if I remember correctly, Atomic Dumpling also said that he wanted to try to have this league be as realistic as possible. But none of the major sports (MLB, NFL, NBA,) use a snake draft. I think there's a reason for that.

Atomic also said that ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The snake draft is nearly universal in fantasy leagues. I don't expect the short draft to have much influence on the balance of power in our league. The only players available will be the ones that are not good enough to be on a team now plus a small number of minor leaguers. Remember that most minor leaguers are either already available now or are added during the season by Yahoo using the waiver system. Most prospects are added to the Yahoo player pool when they get called up for a September cup of coffee in the big leagues. I am guessing (based on prior seasons using Yahoo) that only a half dozen top prospects at most will be added before our draft next year. Guys like Stephen Strasburg and Aroldis Chapman might be available -- and those guys will be long gone before this year's winners get to draft at the end of the first round, much less the second round. You're not going to see impact players available in our draft.
    and ...
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    The draft is really going to be a minor affair. It won't make a huge impact on your team. If we expand roster size by one slot then I bet most teams won't draft more than one new player. Most of our teams already have 30 players under control (29 active slots + one player on the DL). So if we expand to a roster of 30 active players you will have to drop one of your current players in order to make a draft pick. Is there going to be somebody available in the draft in March that you couldn't add to your team for free right now? Not many at all. Only a few minor leaguers and maybe a Japanese import. The guys available in the draft are mostly the same guys available on the free agent list right now. So even though the draft is five rounds long, most teams will only make zero, one or two selections anyway. The only really good prospects will probably be snapped up within the first 4-6 picks of the first round. There won't be much left after that.
    Well, Yahoo actually did a pretty good job of adding prospects this year and it definitely looks like there's more than a half dozen good prospects available plus a few good players left in the pool from last year. Heck, there were four Reds prospects (Chapman, Alonso, Frazier, & Heisey) added to the pool this year and that's just from the Reds.

Back in September when this discussion was last had, not only did only half the league participate, of the people that did voice an opinion most seemed to favor a switch with only one against it and another indifferent.

So, I'm asking for the league to decide with a formal vote. I've stated my preference and reasons for it. It's up to you guys.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 03-15-2010 at 08:38 AM.

forgive my ignorance... what's the difference in the two types?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    forgive my ignorance... what's the difference in the two types?
    No problem. Here's the draft order with a snake draft:

1st Round

1) camisadelgolf is #1
    2) redsfandan
    3) WMR Ghetty Green
    4) CRF2000
    5) Gilpdawg
    6) reds77
    7) The Basecloggers
    8) TRF's debacle
    9) stephenk29
    10) nate
    11) mbgrayson
    12) Atomic Dumpling

2nd Round

13) Atomic Dumpling
    14) mbgrayson
    15) nate
    16) stephenk29
    17) TRF's debacle
    18) The Basecloggers
    19) reds77
    20) Gilpdawg
    21) CRF2000
    22) WMR Ghetty Green
    23) redsfandan
    24) camisadelgolf is #1

Rounds 3 & 5 would match round 1 order and round 4 would match round 2's order.

And the draft order with a straight draft:

1st Round

1) camisadelgolf is #1
    2) redsfandan
    3) WMR Ghetty Green
    4) CRF2000
    5) Gilpdawg
    6) reds77
    7) The Basecloggers
    8) TRF's debacle
    9) stephenk29
    10) nate
    11) mbgrayson
    12) Atomic Dumpling

2nd Round

13) camisadelgolf is #1
    14) redsfandan
    15) WMR Ghetty Green
    16) CRF2000
    17) Gilpdawg
    18) reds77
    19) The Basecloggers
    20) TRF's debacle
    21) stephenk29
    22) nate
    23) mbgrayson
    24) Atomic Dumpling

In the straight draft the draft order doesn't change (unless picks are traded).

There is obviously going to be a gap between how strong the weak teams are and how strong the weak teams are and a straight draft can provide some real means of giving the lower half of teams some hope to rebuild. For example, there's a big difference between the team owned by Camisadelgolf and the team owned by Atomic Dumpling. Unless the trades that Camisadelgolf makes are lopsided in his favor it will take a while for him to rebuild. A straight draft helps.

Turn Off Ads?