Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Redszone Dynasty League 2010 -- Season 2

Re: Redszone Dynasty League 2010 -- Season 2

So in what is essentially a supplemental draft, does having the first pick mean that much? If I were camis, I'd want picks 12 & 13. a reverse of how the draft is listed now.

but that's just me.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    So in what is essentially a supplemental draft, does having the first pick mean that much? If I were camis, I'd want picks 12 & 13. a reverse of how the draft is listed now.

but that's just me.
    Well, the way I look at it, having the 1st pick in a draft like this doesn't mean as much when your next pick isn't until pick 24. So, yeah, I think it could be argued that Atomic Dumpling has better picks since his 2nd pick would be 13th in a snake draft. And the way those two teams look I think Camisadelgolf needs that 13th pick more than Atomic does.

honestly, either way won't affect me too much. I'm in the middle, so i see a slight benefit to me for a straight draft. either way, my second pick is just as far away. i think. if the straight draft helps those at the bottom of the standings, then i vote straight draft.

In the future please consult the commissioner before opening up a massive campaign to change the rules in your favor.

I don't think this is the best way to begin a fun new season of fantasy baseball. The best time to debate rules changes is the late-season discussion period we had last year and will have again every year. We already discussed this issue at that time and there was not much support for changing it.

Do we really want to open debates two days before the draft? We have all been getting excited for the new season and just before we get started somebody starts a personal campaign to change the rules.

I want to avoid any strife and discord in the ranks over a minor issue such as late round draft picks to fill out the last couple slots on our 30 man rosters.

Historically speaking, the primary reason why dynasty leagues have snake drafts is to reduce the incentive to tank one's team after a guy realizes he won't win that season. Giving huge draft advantages to the people that finish at the bottom of the standings can create a temptation to "plan ahead" to gain the windfall. We saw last year that the reasons some teams didn't do well were not only because they had too many injuries or too few good players, but also because they left hundreds of GP and IP unused. Do we want to encourage that with a reward of all the top rookies?

In the snake draft the first few picks are worth 100x more than the last few picks. It is going to be sure-fire stars like Stephen Strasburg, Jason Heyward and Aroldis Chapman at the top of the draft compared to some higher-risk, lower-ceiling prospects like Brett Wallace or Chris Carter or maybe some mediocre veterans at the bottom of the draft.

The waiver priority is also the reverse of last year's standings so it favors the losing teams too. As we observed last year the waiver priority is a big advantage.

It think it is obvious that we aren't going to be able to rebuild our teams with late round draft picks. The first few picks of the 1st round will be elite prospects that can really help you out quickly, but the later picks will be used to plug holes in your lineup and fill out your bench. The best way to rebuild your team is to make trades.

I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter because I don't think the short draft will have much influence on our teams. If a majority of the league wants to change the rules now then we can do so. But I don't want any arguing or hard feelings. Please also keep in mind when making your decision that the policy will be in effect for all future seasons, so think not only about how this affects your draft slot for this season but also future seasons as well.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Well, the way I look at it, having the 1st pick in a draft like this doesn't mean as much when your next pick isn't until pick 24. So, yeah, I think it could be argued that Atomic Dumpling has better picks since his 2nd pick would be 13th in a snake draft. And the way those two teams look I think Camisadelgolf needs that 13th pick more than Atomic does.
    OK. Then trade me slots. Deal?

I will gladly take your 2nd overall pick of the draft to get a superstar rookie like Jason Heyward instead of the 12th and 13th picks that can only be used to get a dime-a-dozen rookie or a veteran player that nobody wanted last year.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-15-2010 at 04:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post

I will gladly take your 2nd overall pick of the draft to get a superstar rookie instead of the 12th and 13th picks that can only be used to get a dime-a-dozen rookie or a veteran player that nobody wanted last year.
    hey, nobody wanted Branyan remember?

I thought the voting was sanctioned. I certainly don't want to step on toes.

This draft is mostly irrelevant, as none of you will pick the right players. I will though and i will then destroy you all.

just sayin'

hey, nobody wanted Branyan remember?

I thought the voting was sanctioned. I certainly don't want to step on toes.

This draft is mostly irrelevant, as none of you will pick the right players. I will though and i will then destroy you all.

just sayin'
    The new season is officially started when the smack talk begins! Well played sir.

In the future please consult the commissioner before opening up a massive campaign to change the rules in your favor.

I will gladly take your 2nd overall pick of the draft to get a superstar rookie instead of the 12th and 13th picks that can only be used to get a dime-a-dozen rookie or a veteran player that nobody wanted last year.
    If you check back (either in this thread or the previous redszone dynasty league thread) you and I both touched on the fact that I would have an open spot to pick up someone without dropping someone IF Yahoo recognized that Bedard was on the DL by the time I picked. He isn't. And I've tried to make trades in the last month and haven't received any interest. So, it looks like I'm going to use only ONE draft pick. Believe me there are players in the draft I like. But unless something happens in the next roughly 44 hours I am only taking one player. Which would mean a switch wouldn't benefit me in the least. It also means a trade of one draft pick for two wouldn't make sense.
    I don't think this is the best way to begin a fun new season of fantasy baseball. The best time to debate rules changes is the late-season discussion period we had last year and will have again every year. We already discussed this issue at that time and there was not much support for changing it.

Do we really want to open debates two days before the draft? We have all been getting excited for the new season and just before we get started somebody starts a personal campaign to change the rules.

I want to avoid any strife and discord in the ranks over a minor issue such as late round draft picks to fill out the last couple slots on our 30 man rosters.

Historically speaking, the primary reason why dynasty leagues have snake drafts is to reduce the incentive to tank one's team after a guy realizes he won't win that season. Giving huge draft advantages to the people that finish at the bottom of the standings can create a temptation to "plan ahead" to gain the windfall. We saw last year that the reasons some teams didn't do well were not only because they had too many injuries or too few good players, but also because they left hundreds of GP and IP unused. Do we want to encourage that with a reward of all the top rookies?

In the snake draft the first few picks are worth 100x more than the last few picks. It is going to be sure-fire stars like Stephen Strasburg, Jason Heyward and Aroldis Chapman at the top of the draft compared to some higher-risk, lower-ceiling prospects like Brett Wallace or Chris Carter or maybe some mediocre veterans at the bottom of the draft.

The waiver priority is also the reverse of last year's standings so it favors the losing teams too. As we observed last year the waiver priority is a big advantage.

It think it is obvious that we aren't going to be able to rebuild our teams with late round draft picks. The first few picks of the 1st round will be elite prospects that can really help you out quickly, but the later picks will be used to plug holes in your lineup and fill out your bench. The best way to rebuild your team is to make trades.
    There was never a formal vote on this back in September and when it was discussed it seemed to me like you thought the effect of the draft would be minimal and how many prospects would be added wouldn't be that many. It still seems like you share that opinion. Which is fine. But that doesn't mean I'll agree with that opinion of how much the draft matters and there ARE alot more good players in the pool that are available than you or I probably expected. Like I said before, back then it seemed, at least to me, like you were the only person against a straight draft. And I had the impression back then that if there had been a vote taken of the people that actually participated in the discussion it would already be a straight draft. All I'm doing is asking for that vote now. I agree this is last second and I apologize for that but I think there is validity to the reasons that I've stated to why a straight draft is more fair.

This would be a move that would that WOULD benefit the other weak teams and would be more fair, imo, than a snake draft. Going back to this
    I don't really have a strong opinion on the matter because I don't think the short draft will have much influence on our teams. If a majority of the league wants to change the rules now then we can do so. But I don't want any arguing or hard feelings. Please also keep in mind when making your decision that the policy will be in effect for all future seasons, so think not only about how this affects your draft slot for this season but also future seasons as well.
    This isn't a personal campaign to benefit me, especially since I'm planning on only taking one guy. This would be a move to benefit the league as a whole not just for this season but for future seasons as well. Like I've said, there was never a formal vote on this back in September and, at least in my opinion, there's more good players available in the draft than you're implying (Napoli was already picked up accidentally, there's also Weeks, Borbon, Alonso, Frazier, Heisey, Scott Sizemore, Conor Jackson, Michael Saunders, Michael Stanton, Desmond Jennings, Carlos Santana, Pedro Alvarez, Dustin Ackley, Justin Smoak, Jesus Montero, Austin Jackson, .... I could go on. And those are only some of the position players).

I want to avoid any strife and discord in the ranks ... But I don't want any arguing or hard feelings.
    Same here. There's no personal motive on my part to change the rules to benefit me. And I don't want hard feelings either. I don't see a problem with a vote though. If people vote down the move that's fine. I just think it should be up to the league as a whole. NOT just a few people.

If you check back (either in this thread or the previous redszone dynasty league thread) you and I both touched on the fact that I would have an open spot to pick up someone without dropping someone IF Yahoo recognized that Bedard was on the DL by the time I picked. He isn't. And I've tried to make trades in the last month and haven't received any interest. So, it looks like I'm going to use only ONE draft pick. Believe me there are players in the draft I like. But unless something happens in the next roughly 44 hours I am only taking one player. Which would mean a switch wouldn't benefit me in the least. It also means a trade of one draft pick for two wouldn't make sense.
    You are holing on to Joba, Latos, Holland and Feliz, all competing for the 5th starter spot, and only one of them likely to win that spot on their team. Joba won't, Latos has a shot, though slim. One of Holland/Feliz COULD wint the spot in Texas, but I bet it won't be Feliz.

I don't think Maybin is worth keeping. if you like ALL these guys over what is available, well that is your choice. Me? I'd drop at least 3 of them. I bet no one clamors after Joba. he's a reliever, and I think the Yankees know it too. Hughes will win the 5th start IMO.

High five!

I don't see this as the case at all.

You are holing on to Joba, Latos, Holland and Feliz, all competing for the 5th starter spot, and only one of them likely to win that spot on their team. Joba won't, Latos has a shot, though slim. One of Holland/Feliz COULD wint the spot in Texas, but I bet it won't be Feliz.

I don't think Maybin is worth keeping. if you like ALL these guys over what is available, well that is your choice. Me? I'd drop at least 3 of them. I bet no one clamors after Joba. he's a reliever, and I think the Yankees know it too. Hughes will win the 5th start IMO.
    Valid arguments. In fact you could make an argument that I should drop Jarrod Parker too. But I'm not gonna. Like I said before, unless either Yahoo lists Bedard on the DL or I make a trade in the next day and a half (both doubtful) I'm only drafting ONE player. Call me crazy and I'll understand. But, even though there are other players available that I like, I think the chances of me using even my 2nd pick are slim and none.

(By the way, can you tell me that any of those players will be better than who would be available at pick 14? I can't. And if we made this switch that's when my 2nd pick would be. Nah, ONE player. That's all I'm planning to draft)

I didn't propose that potential change for any reason except for one: imo, it's more fair, it did seem to me like there was support for a switch, but there was never a vote on it. ok, so that's more than one reason. but, those are the ONLY reasons that I proposed the switch. My mistake is not proposing an actual vote a few weeks ago. After yahoo added a bunch of players to the player pool and that poll I mentioned was in the majority for a straight draft for dynasty leagues that aren't in their initial year. For that I DO apologize. But, between the amount of players added to the player pool and the amount of support for the switch back in Sept that I perceived I didn't think there would be a problem with putting it up for an actual vote. Doing this at the last minute? Yeah, that's on me. But I've made my case and that's all I can do. I've gotta get going cuz I've got a lot to do and no time to do it. It's up to you guys.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 03-15-2010 at 06:15 PM.

Time to get this thing rolling folks! The draft officially starts at noon on Wednesday March 17th -- St. Patrick's Day. That is two days from now.

We will be having a five round draft with a 10 hour time limit for each selection.

Season 2+ Draft:
    The draft will be a snake draft consisting of five rounds. Draft order will be the reverse of prior year's standings. You may not exceed the roster size limit. If you are at the limit when it is your turn to draft you must drop a player before you can draft a player. The dropped player will become draftable immediately -- the next team owner in the draft may select the droppped player without waiting for him to clear waivers. Players added to the Yahoo player pool after the draft begins are not eligible to be drafted and will be placed on waivers after the draft is over. When all five rounds are completed, the commissioner will set a date and time when all undrafted players will be eligible to be added on a first come, first served basis.

Season 2+ Waiver Priority:
    Waiver priority will be set as the reverse of the prior year's standings.

Here is the draft order:
    1) camisadelgolf is #1
    2) redsfandan
    3) WMR Ghetty Green
    4) CRF2000
    5) Gilpdawg
    6) reds77
    7) The Basecloggers
    8) TRF's debacle
    9) stephenk29
    10) nate
    11) mbgrayson
    12) Atomic Dumpling

If you will be away from your computer during the draft and would like updates via text message feel free to send me your cell number via PM on Redszone. You may also submit your picks via PM or text message.

There has been a motion to change the rules for the draft. Redsfandan wants to change the draft from a snake draft to a straight draft. If we get 7 votes to change the rule by noon on Wednesday the rule will be changed. Please respond to me with your vote ASAP. Keep in mind the rule change would apply to future seasons as well as this one.

In the future please send all rule change suggestions to the commissioner so we can include them in a discussion at the end of the season.

Thanks again to everyone for playing in the league again this year. Let's do our best to make this league as fun, friendly, active and competitive as it was last year.

Remember: The draft begins at 12:00 noon on March 17th. Camisadelgolf is #1 has the first pick. There is a 10 hour time limit on each pick.

Good luck with your teams this year!
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-15-2010 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I don't see this as the case at all.
    Me either. RFD's argument just makes sense.

I think having a straight draft for this type of draft would be more fair. We already know who the 'best' and 'worst' teams are. It would be like doing a snake draft for the NBA or NFL draft.

High five!

To be honest, I wasn't really planning on drafting anyone. That might change between now and Wednesday.

Turn Off Ads?