Thread: Baseball America's top 100 prospects

Re: Baseball America's top 100 prospects

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Knock it off.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    OK. I agree with your bottomline that guys in the top 150 are cream of the crop but disagree that rounding 6600 to 15000 constitutes a slight exaggeration. For the life of me I couldn't come up with even half of that figure.
    The difference between 1 and 2% is incredibly small.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    The difference between 1 and 2% is incredibly small.
    Not if you look at it from a percentage perspective.

Seems like the experts are really down on Yonder Alonso after his injury caused his stats to fall last year. ESPN had him at #76 and now BA has him at #45. I think they are way too pessimistic on him. In my mind he is still in the prospect-class of Justin Smoak and Logan Morrisson, who are both ranked much higher. They even have first basemen Chris Carter and Freddie Freeman ranked ahead of Alonso. Supposedly they base their rankings solely on talent , skill and projection without taking into account whether a player is blocked at his position by a star player. I think they are underrating Alonso. In my opinion a ranking of about 25 would be appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by AtomicDumpling View Post
    Seems like the experts are really down on Yonder Alonso after his injury caused his stats to fall last year. ESPN had him at #76 and now BA has him at #45. I think they are way too pessimistic on him. In my mind he is still in the prospect-class of Justin Smoak and Logan Morrisson, who are both ranked much higher. They even have first basemen Chris Carter and Freddie Freeman ranked ahead of Alonso. Supposedly they base their rankings solely on talent , skill and projection without taking into account whether a player is blocked at his position by a star player. I think they are underrating Alonso. In my opinion a ranking of about 25 would be appropriate.
    Pretty much. Midseason, while tearing up the FSL, he was ranked 15th. Then he has an injury that everyone and their mother knows saps your power for about a year, and he falls 30 spots down the list. However Justin Smoak goes out and slugs .444 in the Texas and Pacific Coast Leagues (known to be very hitter friendly) and gets a pass on his injury. This one confuses me.

John (Somerset, NJ)

Jim, what is the ceiling on LLWS hero Todd Frazier? Solid MLB regular or better?

Jim Callis (2:46 PM)

Solid regular is the best bet, but I like him and he has the potential to be an occasional all-star.

tim (cincinnati)

does Jay Bruce start to reach his potential this year??

Jim Callis (2:59 PM)

Yep.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ith-jim-callis

Someone else's list

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/01/25/t...-of-2010-1-25/

36. AROLDIS CHAPMAN (LHP), REDS

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2009 Stats: N/A
    Finished '09: N/A (defected from Cuba in July 2009)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The Skinny: Chapman could easily be in the top five, but at this point how can we really be sure? Much of Chapman's game is still a mystery, but if reports are to believed, and he can consistently produce that type of huge velocity, he'll be moving up this list in a hurry. Right now, he makes it purely on expectations.

56. Todd Frazier (SS) 23 Reds Louisville (Triple-A)
    57. Yonder Alonso (1B) 22 Reds Carolina (Double-A)

61. Mike Leake (RHP) 22 Reds N/A

Frankie Piliere spent the last three seasons working as a scout, most recently in the professional scouting department for the Texas Rangers in 2009. He now serves as the National Baseball Analyst here at FanHouse.

I think Yonder's rating is down untill the Reds trade him or untill he learns another position.

Quote Originally Posted by HayPay View Post
    I think Yonder's rating is down untill the Reds trade him or untill he learns another position.
    Prospect rankings don't take into account that a player is blocked at the MLB level.

I'm sitting here watching the Braves/Mets game on MLB Network. Jason Heyward just batted in the first inning - man he is impressive. He worked a walk in a first plate appearance, laying off a couple close pitches that most hitters would chase. The 2006 Reds won 80 games, the 2006 Braves won 79 games. What could have been. If only the Reds had lost one more game. Imagine having Jason Heyward in LF, Drew Stubbs in CF, and Jay Bruce in RF. Two potential superstars in the corner outfield spots, and three plus defenders.

I love everything I've read and seen from Heyward. I know this is a ridiculous statement this early in his career, but if he stays healthy he's probably going to the Hall of Fame. He's got that type of talent, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm sitting here watching the Braves/Mets game on MLB Network. Jason Heyward just batted in the first inning - man he is impressive. He worked a walk in a first plate appearance, laying off a couple close pitches that most hitters would chase. The 2006 Reds won 80 games, the 2006 Braves won 79 games. What could have been. If only the Reds had lost one more game. Imagine having Jason Heyward in LF, Drew Stubbs in CF, and Jay Bruce in RF. Two potential superstars in the corner outfield spots, and three plus defenders.

I love everything I've read and seen from Heyward. I know this is a ridiculous statement this early in his career, but if he stays healthy he's probably going to the Hall of Fame. He's got that type of talent, IMO.
    Granted there are significant pitfalls between a 20 year old rookie and the Hall of Fame but all things being equal I would probably agree with you.

The guy has shown exceptional contact rates and strike zone judgement at a very early age. You throw in his power potential and you could have the makings of a really special bat.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I wasn't. Heisey is not a spring chicken, doesn't have inspiring tools and has had 1 great stretch of 250 at bats in AA.

With Wood, his lack of an above average fastball probably doomed him. BA tends to give a little more weight to a fastball than the whole package.
    A 298 average in 1,700 Ab's over a 4 season span in the minors isn't an impressive stretch? Thats not even taking into account his 369 OBP and 830 OPS. For instance compare that to Joey Votto's minor league stats in three years, take away the power numbers they are very similar and we all know how he turned out.

Maybe I'm biased here because I know him, but he gets no respect on this board or in genera. I guess you have to watch him play a few games to understand how good he's gonna be. When he makes the club this spring I think you'll understand what Im talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Jones1 View Post
    A 298 average in 1,700 Ab's over a 4 season span in the minors isn't an impressive stretch? Thats not even taking into account his 369 OBP and 830 OPS. For instance compare that to Joey Votto's minor league stats in three years, take away the power numbers they are very similar and we all know how he turned out.

Maybe I'm biased here because I know him, but he gets no respect on this board or in genera. I guess you have to watch him play a few games to understand how good he's gonna be. When he makes the club this spring I think you'll understand what Im talking.
    You might be biased.

You didn't seem to address a single thing I said about him though. I said he didn't have a single inspiring tool. And he doesn't. Heisey has 4 solid tools and an above average one with his speed. That makes him a pretty good player. But scouts and scouting reports aren't going to glow on guys that are good at everything but not really great at anything and on prospect lists that is going to hurt a guy's chance of being ranked high.

As for watching Heisey play.... I have seen him play about 100 times.

As far as his impressive stats, I would argue that he has been good all the way up the ladder, but he was never really impressive until he got to AA this season. When he left, he went back to being a good player rather than the great one his numbers in AA suggested. Its not a rip on the guy, he can play ball. He just isn't going to be a super star like his AA numbers may have suggested when looking at them alone.

Oh he gets respect all right, some would argue and say he gets too much. Of course I am one who tends to give him plenty of respect, at least since he made his adjustment last season. But all that said his talent level isn't that of a star and that is the list we are discussing here. Then again you make a fair point about Votto, no one thought he'd be this good. Maybe that is why some are waiting for the other shoe to drop on him, I'm not so sure it will. Of course the difference in power numbers is something you can't just take away from Votto, that is part of why he is a budding star. Likewise a good reason Heisey should be a solid regular but not a star.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?