Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: From Rookie of the Year to Nothing Special

Re: From Rookie of the Year to Nothing Special

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    16 year career, 146 wins, 3,60 ERA, 2520 innings.

That's sounds like a very good career.
    I guess you could call it a very good career, but certainly "Nothing Special".
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

2. Turn Off Ads?

Eric Hinske. He also has a 3 year WS streak with 3 different teams still alive.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I thought I mentioned him in the first post. Maybe not though.
    My bad.

Kazuhiro Sasaki had three solid years in the majors, but only played four total years in the bigs. Yes, he went back home as he was homesick...but I would still mark that as a disappointment.

And Sava, you would be happy to know that Fast Eddie has been out of business for quite a while. I worked for a competitor in the early 1990s and heard a lot of stories about the guy.

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

That McCovey guy back in '59 took the ROY from Vada in half the ab's. I refused to hear about McCovey ever since! j/k lol :

Bobby Crosby had a decent (albeit shortened) sophomore season, but he has been nothing better than mediocre ever since.

Aside from one season, Jason Jennings has been below average since winning RotY, too.

Pat Listach somehow received NL MVP votes for his rookie season and was only horrible after that year.

I don't know much about Joe Charboneau, but he had less than 200 at-bats after his rookie year, and they were nothing to write home about.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post

And Sava, you would be happy to know that Fast Eddie has been out of business for quite a while. I worked for a competitor in the early 1990s and heard a lot of stories about the guy.
    I'd be happy to hear he was serving 18 to life on a prison planet in an outlying galaxy.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Ah yes, the Future Star card.

Traded a 1961 Topps Clemente for a whole box of Gregg Jefferies '89 Donruss Rated Rookies. Man, if I could turn back time...
    I think they were going for something like 8-12 bucks a piece when I had a windfall of them (somewhere around a dozen of them). Some guys at school thought they robbed me blind when I sold them for 2.50 a piece to them. I don't know what they are going for these days but pretty sure they aren't getting 2.50 for them. But Clemente, ouch.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?