Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Around the Horn

Around the Horn

Sitting here watching the Cubs vs. Phillies on mlb network, 7/12/69, Jenkins vs. Wise. Dick Selma is leading the bleacher bums in a lassoing motion, Willie Smith hit a 3 run bomb, and Fergie has given up nothing after giving up 2 in the first because of Smith dropping a fly ball in left. Knowing this era pretty well, I know that the Cubs were flying high at this point in the season and were looking for a division crown in the inaugural season of divisional play. I also look at the Phillies and they are just a mess of a team.

With that preface, I am up to speed on where the Reds are going into the season, but started thinking about the rest of MLB, not just the Central Division. What are the stories brewing around the horn?

A couple of things I'd like to start with is the story of Stephen Strasburg. Will he make the Nationals OD roster?

Also, I see a local boy, Derek Holland, wrenched his knee and got me thinking about the Rangers. They and the Mariners were very active this offseason. Have they done enough to make up ground with the Angels?

In Houston, the Astros extended Ed Wade through 2012. Really? He is in process of decimating org. #2, and they extend him? Why?

What are you watching for the 2010 season outside of Reds Country?
    Last edited by traderumor; 02-20-2010 at 04:09 PM.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Around the Horn

I think the Mariners will be a force in the AL this season. They didn't just make random moves, they made good ones. The core of the team was already decent, but now I think they can knock Anaheim off of their perch.

Will the Minnesota Twins miss the Metrodome and the home-field advantage they had there?

I think so.

About the Twins... They look GOOD on paper. I don't know if they're gonna make it to the World Series, but they'll get close.

Oh, and how the heck are they going to play home games in April, and Playoff games in October/November in Minneapolis? What were they thinking by not plopping a roof down on that sucker?
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    About the Twins... They look GOOD on paper. I don't know if they're gonna make it to the World Series, but they'll get close.

Oh, and how the heck are they going to play home games in April, and Playoff games in October/November in Minneapolis? What were they thinking by not plopping a roof down on that sucker?
    They managed in the 60s and 70s. But those bees will be a stingin in the bat handles, for sure.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Here are some from me in the form of predictions:

1. Brandon Wood finally gets a shot in LA. He's key to them overcoming their losses.
    2. Pedro Alvarez debuts in late May, wins ROY and leads Pittsburgh to a near ,500 record.
    3. Jim Thome finds regular PT with Minnesota and with Mauer and Morneau become the most feared 3,4 5 in the AL.
    4. Yovanni Gallardo becomes the best pitcher in the NL Central (just ahead of Homer Bailey) and Braun and Fielder outperform Pujols and Holiday leading MIL to the Division title.
    5. Brandon Webb wins comeback player of the year in the NL but the Rockies win the west.
    6. David Price win the AL Cy Young award while Tampa gets back into the play-offs.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Will the Minnesota Twins miss the Metrodome and the home-field advantage they had there?

I think so.
    I was just looking at that. No Roof? They're going to have a lot of make up games.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

One of the reasons why I buy MLB EI is to watch the Twins, Rays, and some late night west coast games. I'd love for the Mariners to be good again, that would make for a great AL West Division race.

Haunted by walks

I'm watching for Strasburg since he might end up in Syracuse, at least after the weather turns warmer. Opening Day in the majors seems too quick.

1. AL West - I'm interested in seeing how the AL West will play out. The Mariners had a terrific offseason adding the likes of Cliff Lee and Chone Figgins to go along with Ichiro, Gutierrez, and King Felix. The Rangers are loaded with young talent, as are the A's, and the Angels, while losing Vladdy, Lackey, and Figgins, are still a solid team. The AL West is wide open and everyone in the division is capable of winning it.

2. The Twins had one of the best offseasons of any team, as they added J.J. Hardy and Orlando Hudson to solidify the middle infield, and also brought in Jim Thome to DH vs RHP. And perhaps the best news of all for the Twins and their fans, Francisco Liriano looked like the Liriano of 2006 during the Dominican Winter League as he was back to flashing his 96 mph fastball and nasty slider. The Twins are going to be a serious World Series contender this season, IMO.

3. New young talent in the majors. I'm as excited as anyone about seeing Stephen Strasburg for the first time, but he's not the only new young talent I'm looking forward to seeing. Besides our very own Aroldis Chapman, there are other future superstars on the horizon like Jason Heyward (Braves), Dustin Ackley (Mariners), Pedro Alvarez (Pirates), Desmond Jennings (Rays), Wade Davis (Rays), among others.

The Rays have so many guys waiting in the wings with the young talent already in their rotation that it's almost ridiculous.

The old axiom that "you can never have too much pitching" will be put to the test in Tampa.

And, oh yeah. Desmond Jennings, Carl Crawford and B.J. Upton might be the most atheletic outfield I've ever seen. Wow.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

FYIW, Manny says this is his last year with the Dodgers.

http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=4935675
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post

I think so.

They sure will when in April is is 20 degrees and thoughts of a warm Twinkie Dome is on the brains, or in last September when it is snowing again and they wish they were indoors. I hear the new place will be totally awesome though.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

The Rangers suffered another injury today as Josh Hamilton left the first workout early with a bruised left shoulder.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

Ozzie Guillen is on Twitter now and is going to have a reality show.

http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/ml...ory?id=4943110
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?