Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: From Rookie of the Year to Nothing Special

Re: From Rookie of the Year to Nothing Special

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    You kinda have to give him a pass for that.
    Ken Hubbs gets a bigger pass...
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stan Bahnsen
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Chris Sabo
    I don't know how either Karros or Sabo qualifies for this list. Both solid starters after their rookie seasons IIRC.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Regression to the mean is a cruel mistress...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I don't know how either Karros or Sabo qualifies for this list. Both solid starters after their rookie seasons IIRC.
    Yea but they really were nothing special. Sabo did have two pretty good seasons but fizzled away after a handful of years.

Karros on the other hand did turn out a pretty good career. I guess I had always thought that he would have become a better player. Thought he would be a perennial All Star and it looks like he ever made it.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Dontrelle Willis came out scorching until it seemed like the league figured him and his quirky delivery out the last few years. That's the best I can think of

Sabo came up late and his rookie tear was his best, but 3300 MLB ab's and 114 HR's and 900 hits is pretty tidy career, put it this way he's getting the big pension.

And if anyone really wants to scratch what Reds players have juiced he's one of the guys I'd have to look at, based on his game, his quirky behavior and the time he played.

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

Mark Fidrych

GL

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Sabo came up late and his rookie tear was his best, but 3300 MLB ab's and 114 HR's and 900 hits is pretty tidy career, put it this way he's getting the big pension.

And if anyone really wants to scratch what Reds players have juiced he's one of the guys I'd have to look at, based on his game, his quirky behavior and the time he played.
    Look at the 1988 seasons of Sabo and Mark Grace. Really, stolen bases is the only stat where Sabo seems to stand out.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Plus Sabo hit .563 with 2 HR's and 5 RBI in the 90' WS.

I'd say thats pretty special!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Look at the 1988 seasons of Sabo and Mark Grace. Really, stolen bases is the only stat where Sabo seems to stand out.
    Which in that era was a big thing (46 SB 4th in the league) One thing to note is that Sabo came out of nowhere and stole teh job from Bell and Pete LOVED him, pumped him up and sent all kinds of press towards him, and we all know who votes on ROY.

Which in that era was a big thing (46 SB 4th in the league) One thing to note is that Sabo came out of nowhere and stole teh job from Bell and Pete LOVED him, pumped him up and sent all kinds of press towards him, and we all know who votes on ROY.
    I'm still bitter about "Fast Eddie", a local baseball card con artist in the town I grew up in, selling me a 1989 Topps Sabo rookie card for $5 when I was 11 years old... That's my reason for my displeasure.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'm still bitter about "Fast Eddie", a local baseball card con artist in the town I grew up in, selling me a 1989 Topps Sabo rookie card for $5 when I was 11 years old... That's my reason for my displeasure.

Well, let that be a reminder never to buy cards from a guy with "Fast" as his nickname.

Remember the '89 Topps Gregg Jeffries card? It was the Holy Grail of collecting for a few months.

Its selling on ebay for $1.01 + $2 shipping. I think having historical documentation of the rec specs is worth the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Well, let that be a reminder never to buy cards from a guy with "Fast" as his nickname.

Remember the '89 Topps Gregg Jeffries card? It was the Holy Grail of collecting for a few months.
    Ah yes, the Future Star card.

Traded a 1961 Topps Clemente for a whole box of Gregg Jefferies '89 Donruss Rated Rookies. Man, if I could turn back time...

Turn Off Ads?