Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Chapman Live BP

Chapman Live BP

From Jon Fay: Burke on Chapman: This kid's got a good reportoire. Someone should sign him.

ctrent: heisey and Burke argued whether chapmans change or slider was more impressive

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Chapman Live BP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8gfR2xsH2E

From Mark Sheldon
    Chapman pitches, hitters guess
    Aroldis Chapman faced five hitters for about 10 minutes worth of pitching in his session of live batting practice on Wednesday. By my count, he threw 32 pitches to Chris Burke, Chris Valaika, Chris Heisey, Yonder Alonso and Corky Miller.

Only one hitter -- Heisey -- made solid contact, once.

Batters were talking to each other trying to figure out what they were seeing. After seeing Chapman's changeup on his third overall pitch to Burke, people around the cage were heard going 'oooh.'

For all of the talk about Chapman's 100 mph velocity after his signing, it was his slider and changeup that had people in the cage talking, and guessing.

"That's a nice little repertoire. Somebody should sign this kid," Burke said after leaving the cage.

The session reminded me of the first time Johnny Cueto pitched live BP at camp. He showed good stuff right away and was an unknown entity. By the time spring was over, Cueto was in the rotation and skipped Triple-A altogether.

"Chapman was very good," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "With hitters in there, he was very comfortable and threw good pitches. He threw a lot of strikes. He threw a really good changeup. All in all, it was a good day.

"The slider was pretty nasty. Very nice. It will be fun to see how this progresses. There's a lot of competition for that rotation."

Wilkin Castillo, who speaks Spanish, was Chapman's catcher this time.

More later...

more from ctrent
    chapman's stuff was really impressive

More from Fay
    Aroldis Chapman’s first session against hitters was impressive.

As Chris Burke, on the hitters who faced him, said: “This kid’s got a nice repertoire. Someone should sign him.”

In the10-minute session, Chris Heisey was only hitter to make solid contact. Yonder Alonso, Corky Miller, Chris Valaika and Burke also faced him.

“Chapman looked very good, very comfortable against hitters,” Walt Jocketty said. “He threw a lot of strikes. His slider was pretty nasty.”

The hitters were having a hard time telling what was what: Slider or change-up? Was that a cutter?

“I thought he looked great,” Burke said. “The fastball was down. It had tremendous life to it. The slider was tight. The change-up was good. He’s a little herky-jerky. I think it makes him more uncomfortable to hit against.

“I think he had to throwing in the mid-90s, especially when he got out of the windup. There was an extra gear there.”
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

That had to be tough facing him for the first time.

I could see him starting in AA, moving to AAA in a month, and then being called up anytime after June when we're looking at a full-time need for a 5th starter and/or Maloney isn't cutting it and/or we are otherwise looking to be at/near contention.

If our offense isn't looking up to speed and the 1-4 starters aren't settling in nicely, I don't see us rushing him - maybe a cup of coffee in September to show him off if he's had a nice season and really dominated the minors.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Is it pretty much a given that Volquez is starting the season on the DL? If so how much time are they expecting him to miss?

The more I see of Chapman the only thing I can think of is a young lefthanded Doc Gooden. He's got the size/build, and the stuff that Gooden had. Hopefully he has more above the shoulders than Gooden did. I know that's a high bar to set, but that's what my gut tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by SidneySlicker View Post
    Is it pretty much a given that Volquez is starting the season on the DL? If so how much time are they expecting him to miss?
    he was already placed on the 60 day DL to make room for gomes
    not expected back until august

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic View Post
    he was already placed on the 60 day DL to make room for gomes
    not expected back until august
    Thats the sucks. Oh well guess it opens a spot for a youngin.

No matter how impressive he gets this Spring, he still has to go to the Minors.

It's almost a given that he'll still be on the DL August 1st.

Chapman is going to be a nice pickup come July when we find ourselves in a tight one with the Cards!

The more I see of Chapman the only thing I can think of is a young lefthanded Doc Gooden. He's got the size/build, and the stuff that Gooden had. Hopefully he has more above the shoulders than Gooden did. I know that's a high bar to set, but that's what my gut tells me.
    hopefully hes gooden, minus the coke problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990REDS View Post
    hopefully hes gooden, minus the coke problem.
    Yeah I thought that would be a without saying.

Turn Off Ads?