Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Keys for the 2010 Reds

Re: Keys for the 2010 Reds

Jay Bruce is a huge key to this team this season. If he emerges as a front-line guy this season, this team will be a lot better than some may think.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    In the first post Will said keys to competing for a playoff spot. Obviously a lot of stuff has to go right for that to happen, but my take is the thing most holding back the Reds is a horrific offense. The team needs to score about 750 runs if it wants to truly compete.

The top of the lineup is suspect in the OB department, which means big seasons from the middle of the lineup will be necessary. Votto will be hard-pressed to match his 2009 season, but he'll still be good. Bruce should be better. Rolen should be steady, but not overwhelming. Phillips, like I mentioned, needs to have his best season vs. RHPs. And the Reds aren't getting any meaningful production from the catchers.

That leaves LF, and Balentien strikes me as the one guy who could be a serious difference maker out there. I'm not saying he will be, but him realizing his potential is 100% of what the team most needs.

What about SS? If you're comparing 2009 to 2010 I think Janish to Cabrera can make a lot of hay offensively.

I disagree that Balentien is a key because if he falters there are so many other options like Heisey and Gomes.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

For me, I would start with Cabrera. The Reds are finally looking like a somewhat cohesive ballclub and not just a random collection of some decent players and filler, and the depth is better. In nearly every instance, if (insert name here) tanks or gets hurt, there's someone who can reasonably project to step in and at least not be a Black Hole of Awful of the kind that's killed the club for years. Shortstop is the exception, IMO, so Cabrera needs to play and play decently.

Otherwise, decent OBP from Stubbs (or whoever hits leadoff) and a breakout year from Bruce are what will move the team from average-ish to contender-ish.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

1. Bailey maintains end-of-year success and becomes the rotation anchor.

2. Bruce comes into his own.

3. Stubbs is legit and can OPS around .750.

4. Votto does not take a significant step back.

Harang, Bruce and Cabrera.

I'm not as confident about the catchers position as many of you are.

I honestly hope I'm wrong here but Hernandez hasn't shown me much. I like Hannigan's defense and plate discipline but he looks like a punch n Judy hitter.

The catchers position could be a very important key in 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I'm not as confident about the catchers position as many of you are.

I honestly hope I'm wrong here but Hernandez hasn't shown me much. I like Hannigan's defense and plate discipline but he looks like a punch n Judy hitter.

The catchers position could be a very important key in 2010.
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned but their offensive production is adequate for their position IMO. Especially if Hanigan gets more playing time making the defense top notch there. I know Hanny tends to get nailed for his shortcomings but I don't think his tendency last year to not hit well with RISP is something that will continue, he just seemed to try to do to much when that occcured and I think he will fix that issue as he gains experience. On Hernandez I don't really have any problem at all with his offense, sure he doesn't have the bat he once had but I think he usually does well at understanding the situation and doing what is called for from a team scoring approach. Overall he is a smidge below average maybe but I've seen much worse in semi-recent years.

I won't say I think they are an ideal combo back there but I don't believe they are hopeless and worthless which I tend to get that vibe on RZ, not you perse'.
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 03-03-2010 at 04:21 AM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Maybe I'm just old fashioned but their offensive production is adequate for their position IMO. Especially if Hanigan gets more playing time making the defense top notch there. I know Hanny tends to get nailed for his shortcomings but I don't think his tendency last year to not hit well with RISP is something that will continue, he just seemed to try to do to much when that occcured and I think he will fix that issue as he gains experience. On Hernandez I don't really have any problem at all with his offense, sure he doesn't have the bat he once had but I think he usually does well at understanding the situation and doing what is called for from a team scoring approach. Overall he is a smidge below average maybe but I've seen much worse in semi-recent years.

I won't say I think they are an ideal combo back there but I don't believe they are hopeless and worthless which I tend to get that vibe on RZ, not you perse'.

I don't think they are hopeless or worthless either.

It's just my honest opinion that Hernandez is over rated both offensively and defensively and he's getting old for a catcher. Again, I hope my opinion is proven wrong.

I love Hanigan's defense and plate discipline and I couldn't care less about his or anyone else's' batting average with RISP. I like Hanigan but I'm afraid he just doesn't have the body type or strength to catch everyday in MLB.

I hope you're right though.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    The two main keys are..

1. Score as many runs as possible.

2. Allow opponents as few runs as possible.

To be honest I'm kinda worried about #1.
    I'm worried as well. This board seems to be very optimistic about this offense, and I'm just not quite seeing it. I'll gladly eat my words if I turn out to be wrong though.

I wouldn't ascribe "optimism" to the board on the offense, as much as realism. I don't think anyone thinks they will be any more than average, at best, offensively. But if the pitching finishes coming together, and they can field the ball well, that might be enough to let them make a run at .500. At least, that's my take. Is "making a run at .500" optimism?

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    I wouldn't ascribe "optimism" to the board on the offense, as much as realism. I don't think anyone thinks they will be any more than average, at best, offensively. But if the pitching finishes coming together, and they can field the ball well, that might be enough to let them make a run at .500. At least, that's my take. Is "making a run at .500" optimism?
    I think it's pretty optimistic considering we haven't been over .500 for 9 years.

My post was probably better suited for the "Rank the Reds" thread, where I saw several posts that had our offense in the top 10 (maybe they meant NL?). I just know that we were one of the worst offenses in baseball last year, and we have done next to nothing to immediately upgrade that offenese, other than signing Cabrera.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I just know that we were one of the worst offenses in baseball last year, and we have done next to nothing to immediately upgrade that offenese, other than signing Cabrera.
    3B was a huge problem almost all of last year as well, but if Rolen can log an impactful amount of games (~120 or so), that should be a pretty significant upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I think it's pretty optimistic considering we haven't been over .500 for 9 years.

My post was probably better suited for the "Rank the Reds" thread, where I saw several posts that had our offense in the top 10 (maybe they meant NL?). I just know that we were one of the worst offenses in baseball last year, and we have done next to nothing to immediately upgrade that offenese, other than signing Cabrera.
    I think that was top 10 NL from those with such a rank. At least, I hope so.

And I did not say they would get to .500 with this offense, just that if the pitching and fielding comes together it might be enough "to make a run at it". I hardly see that as wild-eyed optimism.

Turn Off Ads?