Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 48 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Re: League of Reds Nation -- the ultimate dynasty

Pick 3.8 Ben Zobrist (2B, SS, OF)

C'mon guys, where's the chatter around here? Good pick in your opinion or bad? Or
    Last edited by Vada Pinson Fan; 02-28-2010 at 02:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

nice pick.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quiet Reverence Vada Pinson Fan's Avatar

Thank You Joseph. It came down to 4 guys and Zobrist at this time in my opinion represented the best value.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    I'm not sure I understand the trade rules. The 2 managers just make the trade and then we decide whether we want to protest after it's already been done? I obviously wouldn't have a problem with the A-Rod/Wright trade and wouldn't suspect cheating/collusion but shouldn't we have at least a 1-day review period so that Yahoo just didn't make the switch and then have to switch back if there is a problem?
    If anyone has a real problem with any trade you can feel free to send me a private message detailing your concerns. If your argument has merit I will take action -- either by quickly and quietly canceling the trade or putting it up to a non-anonymous league-wide vote or merely by asking the two owners to re-work the trade. Cheating and collusion are the only reasons to cancel a trade. Don't protest a trade because you think it is lopsided or stupid. We are all experienced skilled managers here so nobody is going to get taken advantage of by a ruthless bully.

The fastest and surest way to destroy a league is to veto trades. Allowing competing owners to review trades made by other owners is a guaranteed way to start arguments and create bitterness. There is nothing worse than having an exciting trade derailed by jealous competitors.

We want to encourage trades in this league. Without a yearly redraft, trades are the primary and most effective method of improving and balancing your team. We can't have a system where making a trade creates a confrontational and combative situation where owners are forced to defend and explain their moves to hostile opponents. That will cause a natural hesitancy and reluctance to make trades and will lead to a stale, boring, inactive league. Nor can we have a system where people can anonymously torpedo their competitors' moves for often selfish reasons.

This is a league among established members of the Redszone community with reputations to uphold. There is no prize money to tempt people to behave unethically. I don't think we are going to see people cheating or colluding, so there is no reason to enact a veto process that will surely lead to strife and ill will.

Trades are about combined stats and roster balance, not famous names. Strategies vary widely in dynasty leagues, so a trade that may seem wacko at first glance will probably make perfect sense if you look deeper. Some people may be planning years in advance while others are trying to optimize for the short term. People have different opinions of a player's value and we don't have the right to overrule them just because we don't agree.

People played fantasy sports for decades before the veto was invented. In the early days of Internet-based fantasy sports it was often possible for one person to get two teams in one league, so cheating and collusion was a problem -- especially if money was involved. But somehow newcomers to fantasy sports came to believe the veto was there so other owners could judge the balance of a trade. My experience has proven most trades are vetoed to keep a strong owner from improving his team rather than prevent cheating. Vetoes only have a place in big-money leagues and random public leagues without a commissioner.

We definitely need to keep our league fair, and we will. But we also need to keep it friendly, active and fun.
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 02-28-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vada Pinson Fan View Post
    Pick 3.8 Ben Zobrist (2B, SS, OF)

C'mon guys, where's the chatter around here? Good pick in your opinion or bad? Or
    Zobrist came out of nowhere last season to have a fantastic year. If he can do it again this year then you will get great value with this selection.

I dunno, I'm still a little skeptical of Zobrist

I can do the Hully Gully IowaRed's Avatar

Ok and while I certainly disagree with a lot of what you said, I was really asking about the procedure. I've never been in a league in 15 years of fantasy sports where the trade was made and passed, THEN the rest of the league was notified and allowed to review and protest if necessary. If you are going to trust the leagues participants to be honest, knowledgable, reputable, and non-hostile, don't you have to trust them not to veto trades because they don't want somebody to have a good team or other ridiculous reason?
    More often than not, when someone is telling me a story all I can think about is that I can't wait for them to finish so that I can tell my own story that's not only better, but also more directly involves me.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaRed View Post
    Ok and while I certainly disagree with a lot of what you said, I was really asking about the procedure. I've never been in a league in 15 years of fantasy sports where the trade was made and passed, THEN the rest of the league was notified and allowed to review and protest if necessary. If you are going to trust the leagues participants to be honest, knowledgable, reputable, and non-hostile, don't you have to trust them not to veto trades because they don't want somebody to have a good team or other ridiculous reason?
    Well I respect your opinion. Maybe the topic will come up at the end of the season when we discuss possible rule changes for next year.

The rules and settings in this league are based on solid experience as a commissioner and player in previous leagues, including the Redszone Dynasty League on which this league is based. These rules are not experimental or based on personal preference but rather are the battle hardened, time tested result from years of hard-earned experience. I don't anticipate problems but you never know. I am not a dictatorial commissioner hungry for power. I am perfectly happy to listen to all suggestions and am willing to make changes that will improve the league. These are the rules for this year, but we will discuss any new ideas at the end of the season for possible implementation next season.

This trade procedure has worked well in other leagues and I think it will be fine again, but we can monitor the situation as the season progresses and make changes if necessary.

Like any other transaction, a trade doesn't take effect until the next day. So there will be time to correct any egregious trades if we need to.

Isn't now a good time to discuss rule changes, at least changes that don't affect the draft, considering the league hasn't even started yet? I would think this is a perfect time to discuss rules. It seems like if people thought something should be discussed, there's no reason waiting another year since we're still a month from the season beginning.

I'm neither here nor there on the trade thing. I have been in leagues where protests or votes can be made on trades, but I've almost never protested any. The only time I've had issues with trades that are lopsided are because they were lopsided among friends and other owners didn't at least get a heads up that someone was available for trade.

I can see Iowa's point, though. There needs to be mutual trust both ways.

I'll admit I don't agree with the 'these are the rules' philosophy for this year. It's not even March. If folks think something should be discussed in advance, I don't see a reason to put that off until next season.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Maybe a little bit of a reach here, but with pick 3.9 I have taken Chone Figgins.

I'm expecting a big year from him, and getting good speed numbers from a corner spot is a huge plus to me.

I loved having Figgins on my team last year

Panda sighting!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Nice picks.

Geez. Do we really need to haggle over rules right now? This is supposed to be fun.

It is not a "these are the rules" approach when the rules were included in the invitation and posted in post #2 of this thread.

There is mutual trust both ways. I trust all of you not to cheat and not to protest trades without good reason. I hope you all trust me to be impartial and not to intervene in the league without good reason. Once the season starts I will be just another player in the league and will probably never have to intervene as commissioner. I see myself as the guy that sets up the league and gets the ball rolling. This is a fun hobby for me. I really don't like arguing or debating things.

The draft is well underway. People are making their selections based on the current rules. It wouldn't be fair to make changes now. The rules are all very standard, common, normal rules that really don't need to be debated. There is nothing unusual or out of the ordinary here. Standard 5x5 roto league with 30 man rosters.

We have a full day to protest a trade as it stands. If a trade is so out of line as to warrant a reversal I think it will be called out immediately. Adding an extra day or two only slows down the trading process without any benefit. If a majority of owners feel it necessary to put in a trade delay we can do so.

I really don't see the issue here. Just don't cheat and you won't have a problem. If anybody cheats the trade will be reversed. It is as simple as that. I really, really don't think there will be any cheating.

Chone Figgins and Pablo Sandoval have been selected. Bumstead is now on the clock to be followed by Captain Hook.

Turn Off Ads?