Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dayton Dragons: Breaking Down the Outfielders for 2010

Re: Dayton Dragons: Breaking Down the Outfielders for 2010

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    If Means starts the year in Dayton, and I think he will, he should be the Dragons best player.
    I am not sure of that. I think he starts there, but unless he fixes his plate discipline I wouldn't put him up there yet. Alex Oliveras is in the same boat. Given the defensive ability of Gregorius, I think he would probably be my pick going into the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Didn't realize the Reds picked up Satterwhite (Moeller/UC)...anyone have any thoughts on him?
    Follow me on twitter @EricLilly7

Means: Those who have seen him out in spring training this year say he is in terrific shape and really playing well. Means was not a guy last year who swung at a lot of bad pitches. True, he did not walk a lot. Part of that was because he bunted so much to try to take advantage of his great speed, so he was not going deep into the count. When he got into two-strike situations, he was not going to bunt and needs to improve in terms of making contact and keeping the at-bat alive.

Satterwhite: More of an organizational guy right now. Extended spring or Dayton back-up outfielder. He probably will get a chance, but he might have to be patient.

As bad as Billings was last season, Dayton could be interesting, assuming Yorman, HRod, Gregorious, and Means all go to Low A. It'll be interesting not only to see the talent, but where it bats. Three of those guys look like top of the order hitters-- at least.

You might have four leadoff hitters in a row for Dayton.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Means would hit leadoff. Oliveras second probably. They would protect Yorman somewhere in the order, maybe in the six or seven spot.

Has anyone heard anything about Yorman this spring, as far as how he looks? The Reds are being very aggressive starting him in Dayton.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    Has anyone heard anything about Yorman this spring, as far as how he looks? The Reds are being very aggressive starting him in Dayton.
    They have only played 2 games so far on the minor league side of things, so anything we have heard would have had to have come on workout type stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegsToday View Post
    I asked Corey Brinn about Yorman and Duran today on twitter. His response:

Reds & WVU are a great combination...Yorman looks good early on...not seen as much of Duran just yet but he looks tall!!

http://twitter.com/coreybrinn

For unknown reasons, I seem to have lost my ability to start new threads in this section.

Anyway, had a good chat with a scout who has been around the Single-A teams the last few days. While Yorman has been playing with the group that is headed to Dayton (primarily with Means and Oliveras), he thinks it has become clear that he simply is not going to be ready for that level and the Reds will end up starting him in extended. From a few sources, Yorman has a tendency to get down on himself and will take that frustration into the next at-bat. That would be a bad combination over a long season for a player that would probably see his share of struggles at that level. The scout said that Yorman looks like a future Midwest League MVP, but in 2012.

The Lynchburg outfield picture is really crowded right now. They have six guys there. Look for someone that we expected to move up all winter to wind up back in Dayton unless there is an injury.

Fellhauer has been on fire. Word is that he has had at least two hits in every game and is hitting well over .500 Not that this means a tremendous amount. Last spring, the two best players in the Dayton camp, straight from the coaches mouths, were Humberto Sosa and Leonardo Astorga. Astorga gave up 33 runs in 18.2 innings once the bell rang. Sosa struggled, went to Billings, came back to Dayton, and got released (as did Astorga). That being said, Fellhauer might have been the guy that got squeezed back to Dayton, but I would have to say that he has made it impossible for them to make that move.

For unknown reasons, I seem to have lost my ability to start new threads in this section.

Anyway, had a good chat with a scout who has been around the Single-A teams the last few days. While Yorman has been playing with the group that is headed to Dayton (primarily with Means and Oliveras), he thinks it has become clear that he simply is not going to be ready for that level and the Reds will end up starting him in extended. From a few sources, Yorman has a tendency to get down on himself and will take that frustration into the next at-bat. That would be a bad combination over a long season for a player that would probably see his share of struggles at that level. The scout said that Yorman looks like a future Midwest League MVP, but in 2012.

The Lynchburg outfield picture is really crowded right now. They have six guys there. Look for someone that we expected to move up all winter to wind up back in Dayton unless there is an injury.

Fellhauer has been on fire. Word is that he has had at least two hits in every game and is hitting well over .500 Not that this means a tremendous amount. Last spring, the two best players in the Dayton camp, straight from the coaches mouths, were Humberto Sosa and Leonardo Astorga. Astorga gave up 33 runs in 18.2 innings once the bell rang. Sosa struggled, went to Billings, came back to Dayton, and got released (as did Astorga). That being said, Fellhauer might have been the guy that got squeezed back to Dayton, but I would have to say that he has made it impossible for them to make that move.
    Interesting stuff, as always, 72. Seems like a good idea to be cautious with Yorman. As a 17 year old from Venezuela, a lot can go wrong as he transitions to life in the US -- compounding that with struggles on the diamond and you have a recipe for a failed investment. In my opinion, they should be sure to get him some baseball success this summer.

You mention in another post that Wiley may end up back in Dayton. Seems like a waste to me. The guy's bat needs to be challenged. Any chance they push Sappelt to AA, creating room in Lynchburg for Wiley?
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

There is still 10 days until rosters are set and things can change. Sappelt would probably be the first guy up. That would leave Reed, Fellhauer, and Wiley starting in Lynchburg. Word is that Sappelt has really struggled this spring at the plate. He was not a particularly strong offensive player in Dayton in 2009 at .269 with a .322 on-base percentage. To go to Double-A and be productive there would be a pretty big jump in one calendar year. They need Sappelt to be able to play well in Double-A, not just fill a spot.

Keep in mind...it is not always about what is best for any given player. They simply can't finish with the 29th best organizational record again in 2010. You can't have your players growing up in that kind of losing culture. They have to develop that killer instinct that allows you to pull out games in the late innings and you can't develop that when you are 58-92 at the end of the season. Plus, that makes it hard to keep affiliates happy and leads to other problems. You've got two PDCs expiring at the end of this season.

They seem to feel that it is better to have a guy getting 100 at-bats a month at a repeat level than getting 50 at-bats a month (and taking 50 away from someone else) at the next level up. Can't really argue with that.

There is still 10 days until rosters are set and things can change. Sappelt would probably be the first guy up. That would leave Reed, Fellhauer, and Wiley starting in Lynchburg. Word is that Sappelt has really struggled this spring at the plate. He was not a particularly strong offensive player in Dayton in 2009 at .269 with a .322 on-base percentage. To go to Double-A and be productive there would be a pretty big jump in one calendar year. They need Sappelt to be able to play well in Double-A, not just fill a spot.

Keep in mind...it is not always about what is best for any given player. They simply can't finish with the 29th best organizational record again in 2010. You can't have your players growing up in that kind of losing culture. They have to develop that killer instinct that allows you to pull out games in the late innings and you can't develop that when you are 58-92 at the end of the season. Plus, that makes it hard to keep affiliates happy and leads to other problems. You've got two PDCs expiring at the end of this season.

They seem to feel that it is better to have a guy getting 100 at-bats a month at a repeat level than getting 50 at-bats a month (and taking 50 away from someone else) at the next level up. Can't really argue with that.
    Makes solid sense. If Wiley is the odd guy out, as you say, it indicates to me that the organization is putting a premium on defense. I seem to recall you saying he leaves a lot to be desired as on OF.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Wiley is below average defensively. Unless he improves his arm strength, I think he is more of a DH. Possibly the weakest arm in the league among outfielders in 2009. Range in the outfield: I would say he won't kill you but he is not going to do anything to add to his value as a player.

He has a lot of potential as a hitter, but he is going to have to REALLY hit to earn his way. You have to look at the whole picture. I saw this guy Josh Anderson with the Reds on TV earlier in the spring. Didn't know too much about him except that he looks like a 4A player on paper. In about 15 minutes, I saw him make three plays in the outfield that impacted the game. One was a catch. The other two were cutting off balls in the alley that kept singles from turning into doubles. With most outfielders, none of those three plays get made. My thoughts: "Oh, so that's why they brought this Anderson to camp." You can call him up and play him and even if he doesn't hit, he is still going to have value and the manager can trust that if he plays him, the guy isn't going to screw up a game with a mistake in the field that leads to a big inning. Wiley isn't going to make any of those plays, so he is going to have to really hit to make up for it.

I am not sure any of that has anything to do with a possible bump back to Dayton. It is just a numbers game. You have three everyday spots in Lynchburg. Reed is a year ahead in the pecking order. Sappelt is not going back to Dayton. Fellhauer is an everyday player. Wiley is a good enough player that you want him playing everyday, even if it's in Dayton to start the year.

If Wiley's problem is his arm, and to a lesser extent his speed, it seems that first base would be an obvious solution. That's certainly not a position at which the Reds are stacked in the minor leagues.

He has a lot of potential as a hitter, but he is going to have to REALLY hit to earn his way. You have to look at the whole picture. I saw this guy Josh Anderson with the Reds on TV earlier in the spring. Didn't know too much about him except that he looks like a 4A player on paper. In about 15 minutes, I saw him make three plays in the outfield that impacted the game. One was a catch. The other two were cutting off balls in the alley that kept singles from turning into doubles. With most outfielders, none of those three plays get made. My thoughts: "Oh, so that's why they brought this Anderson to camp." You can call him up and play him and even if he doesn't hit, he is still going to have value and the manager can trust that if he plays him, the guy isn't going to screw up a game with a mistake in the field that leads to a big inning. Wiley isn't going to make any of those plays, so he is going to have to really hit to make up for it.
    Agreed on Anderson. A guy who can play defense like that and steal bases (which Anderson can do) can be useful as a 5th OF at the major league level.

I am not sure any of that has anything to do with a possible bump back to Dayton. It is just a numbers game. You have three everyday spots in Lynchburg. Reed is a year ahead in the pecking order. Sappelt is not going back to Dayton. Fellhauer is an everyday player. Wiley is a good enough player that you want him playing everyday, even if it's in Dayton to start the year.
    Sappelt, Reed and Fellhauer are all similar players. Smaller OFs with speed and occasional pop. Having them all in the same OF would be an excellent gauge of their talent relative to one another.

Turn Off Ads?