Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Dayton Dragons: Breaking Down the Outfielders for 2010

Re: Dayton Dragons: Breaking Down the Outfielders for 2010

Here is how I would distinguish those three: Reed is the best athlete of the three and one of the best in the entire organization, but he has struggled with strikeouts. Reed and Sappelt both have spectacular range in the outfield (can be electrifying). I might give a slight edge to Sappelt, though it is close. Sappelt has by far the weakest arm of the three and it probably would limit him to left field unless he improves it by a bunch. Fellhauer has the strongest. Both Reed and Sappelt are faster than Fellhauer. Fellhauer's speed is a bit overrated. He has average speed. Fellhauer is the most polished and has the best baseball instincts and while he is not as fast as the others, he is the best base runner. Fellhauer has no clear weakness; he has average tools and is a smart, hard-nosed player. Reed and Sappelt have better tools but have some holes. Sappelt had some huge baserunning blunders in 2009.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Sappelt still has the best intro I've heard about yet, "2/3's of the Earth is covered by water, the other 1/3 by me!"

I'm definitely pulling for the kid to keep improving on his solid season last year.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Sappelt still has the best intro I've heard about yet, "2/3's of the Earth is covered by water, the other 1/3 by me!"

I'm definitely pulling for the kid to keep improving on his solid season last year.
    It was good in the 70's when they said it about Garry Maddox. I'm guessing it was said about some one before him too.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

It looks as though they made a decision not to keep Laboy in Lynchburg as a back-up outfielder. He was released. That likely means Wiley remains with Lynchburg with four players sharing three spots (Sappelt, Fellhauer, Reed, Wiley) with Day as the back-up and DH.

Tony Brown released.

Looks like Oliveras, Means, and Wiley. Means, by all reports, looks like one of the most improved players in the organization.

Folks rave about Yorman. Just not quite ready for full-season play.

Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Looks like Oliveras, Means, and Wiley. Means, by all reports, looks like one of the most improved players in the organization.

Folks rave about Yorman. Just not quite ready for full-season play.
    Very good decision by the Reds to start him in Billings. As tempting as it is to start him in Dayton, it's better for his development to start him in Billings, IMO. He's still very young and raw and probably not quite ready to face advanced 20-22 year old pitchers. Nice job by the Reds.

Excited about Means. I think there may be a diamond in the rough among the Fellhauer-Wiley-Sappelt-Means group, somebody who may emerge in the couple years as a guy who can play regularly in the bigs. Hopefully the competition among them produces that diamond.

Everyone is talking about Means. He is a Drew Stubbs type player in some ways. Lead-off type hitter but may have to hit third in the Dayton lineup. Blazing speed, lots of infield hits, will bunt a lot and steal bases. Anxious to see if conditioning brings more flexibility and results in power from 215 pound, solidly built frame.

I overlooked the fact that Byron Wiley is starting the season in Dayton again. Why? He has nothing left to prove in Dayton and he's already 23 years old. I would've started him in Lynchburg.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I overlooked the fact that Byron Wiley is starting the season in Dayton again. Why? He has nothing left to prove in Dayton and he's already 23 years old. I would've started him in Lynchburg.
    Likely a victim of a numbers game, but I agree.... its a shame that despite an .860 OPS he has to repeat the level at the start of the year. At the same time, its good to think about, that he couldn't advance despite that because he is blocked. Shows some good depth.

Turn Off Ads?