Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 279

Thread: DUI Lawyers

  1. #46
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,483

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Innocent until proven guilty? Hah! I love America.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #47
    Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    2,171

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty? Hah! I love America.
    What kind of proof would you be looking for since you refused the breathalyzer?

  4. #48
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,483

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    What kind of proof would you be looking for since you refused the breathalyzer?
    How does refusing the breathalyser prove that I'm guilty? Sure, it raises questions, but it's far from proof. I'm mad at myself for letting it get to this point, but I'm mad at the system for forcing me to admit to guilt to something I didn't do (DUI) in order for my punishment to be less severe than it would be if I were charged with the appropriate offenses.

  5. #49
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,656

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I seriously considered taking this to trial, but after talking with you all and some lawyers (particularly the ones who have experience with Judge Karen Thomas), it sounds like my best bet is plea bargaining. In that case, do you think it's worth it for me to hire a lawyer?
    On charges like this, you always want to give the impression that you are taking the matter seriously. It makes a favorable impression on the judge and can, in certain situation, get you a better deal from a prosecutor.

    Prosecutors are lawyers, they usually have dockets to move and don't enjoy dealing with pro se litigants -- who generally don't understand what's going on, ask lots of questions (which is good for them, but annoying for a prosecutor who is responsible to the judge to keep a court docket moving), and are easy marks in a trial should it come to that (I'm always confident I can win a pro se trial, no matter what the facts are). An attorney will help you deal with the prosecutor and, in most circumstances, obtain the most favorable deal for you. An attorney will also explain the potential outcomes and consequences of any guilty plea, including for future driving purposes.

    Further, an attorney will help you deal with the judge. They'll speak on your behalf and advise you the best things to say to your particular judge to ensure you get the best possible outcome.

    Hiring an attorney is a no-brianer here -- regardless of what you want to do.
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  6. #50
    Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,933

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How does refusing the breathalyser prove that I'm guilty? Sure, it raises questions, but it's far from proof. I'm mad at myself for letting it get to this point, but I'm mad at the system for forcing me to admit to guilt to something I didn't do (DUI) in order for my punishment to be less severe than it would be if I were charged with the appropriate offenses.
    Since you didn't submit to the test, you have no idea if you were DUI or not. It doesn't take much to blow .08 or higher. If you were that confident, then you should have taken it. If it wasn't over the limit, you wouldn't have been arrested and charged with it.

  7. #51
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    The 513
    Posts
    12,656

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    How does refusing the breathalyser prove that I'm guilty? Sure, it raises questions, but it's far from proof. I'm mad at myself for letting it get to this point, but I'm mad at the system for forcing me to admit to guilt to something I didn't do (DUI) in order for my punishment to be less severe than it would be if I were charged with the appropriate offenses.
    Here is evidence that'd kill you at a trial:

    1. You were in a car that likely smelled like alcohol.
    2. You likely admitted you'd been at a bar.
    3. You likely admitted to the officers you had been drinking.
    4. You couldn't recall how many drinks you had consumed.
    5. You fell asleep at the wheel of your car while at a red light.
    6. You had difficulty maintaining balance when exiting the vehicle.
    7. You refused a chemical test which could have cleared your name and proved you were legal to drive.

    Put yourself in the shoes of a juror. What's the most likely explanation for all of those facts?
    Championships Matter.
    24 Years and Counting...

  8. #52
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,483

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Here is evidence that'd kill you at a trial:

    1. You were in a car that likely smelled like alcohol.
    2. You likely admitted you'd been at a bar.
    3. You likely admitted to the officers you had been drinking.
    4. You couldn't recall how many drinks you had consumed.
    5. You fell asleep at the wheel of your car while at a red light.
    6. You had difficulty maintaining balance when exiting the vehicle.
    7. You refused a chemical test which could have cleared your name and proved you were legal to drive.

    Put yourself in the shoes of a juror. What's the most likely explanation for all of those facts?
    My defense:
    1. The car smelled like alcohol because there was someone in my car who was literally doused in beer earlier in the evening.
    2. Yes, I was at a bar. I'm at the same bar, every Monday, because I play a gig there.
    3. I never told the police I was drinking.
    4. I don't know exactly how many drinks it was, but I know it was two or three, likely three.
    5. Yes, I did. I was exhausted from the night before, and when my blood sugar gets low, it's very normal for me to become even more tired. I have been in several comas, actually.
    6. Yes, I have torn ligaments in my knee that require surgery.
    7. I refused the test because a lawyer told me to. Had I known it would've ended up like this, I would have accepted.

    . . . and I have witnesses and proof for pretty much all of this.
    Last edited by camisadelgolf; 02-26-2010 at 04:39 PM.

  9. #53
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,483

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I'm really not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you need to grow up, a lot.
    I have a very dry sense of humor and am able to find humor in anything, but I don't think that necessarily means I need to grow up. It's just how I deal with things.

  10. #54
    Be the ball Roy Tucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Mason, OH
    Posts
    12,350

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Innocent until proven guilty? Hah! I love America.
    I had no idea how the legal system really worked till my kids got in hot water. I got a crash course in how the system really works. It ain't like TV.

    We were little lambies waiting for slaughter. My lawyer then got it all under control.

    As Warren Zevon said, "send lawyers, guns, and money".

    Pay attention to the open sky

  11. #55
    RaisorZone Raisor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Charlotte, Nc
    Posts
    15,213

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    If you have a blood sugar problem that makes you fall asleep at the wheel, you shouldn't be driving anyway.
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

  12. #56
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Louisville, KY
    Posts
    1,591

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you have a blood sugar problem that makes you fall asleep at the wheel, you shouldn't be driving anyway.
    Great point. I'm not sure of the law but I'm pretty sure falling asleep at the wheel is not legal.

  13. #57
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    Since you didn't submit to the test, you have no idea if you were DUI or not. It doesn't take much to blow .08 or higher. If you were that confident, then you should have taken it. If it wasn't over the limit, you wouldn't have been arrested and charged with it.
    That's not true. He could have still been charged if the breathalyzer registered under .08 (at least in OH). Given the circumstances when they found him, it wouldn't have been surprising.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  14. #58
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If you have a blood sugar problem that makes you fall asleep at the wheel, you shouldn't be driving anyway.
    Or without a license....or when he can't stand up to take a field sobriety test because of a bad knee.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

  15. #59
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfboy View Post
    That's not true. He could have still been charged if the breathalyzer registered under .08 (at least in OH). Given the circumstances when they found him, it wouldn't have been surprising.
    Yep, it would have, however, given him a much stronger defense and reason to fight the charge in court had he blown below a .08. That would have lended much more credibility to his other 'extenuating circumstances.'
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  16. #60
    On the brink wolfboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    is everything
    Posts
    2,687

    Re: DUI Lawyers

    Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    Yep, it would have, however, given him a much stronger defense and reason to fight the charge in court had he blown below a .08. That would have lended much more credibility to his other 'extenuating circumstances.'
    What you say is true. I just wanted to point out that people do get charged and convicted of OVI even if they don't register at .08 or above. I'd rather not get into a discussion about the merits of taking the breathalyzer. Suffice it to say that there are viable arguments on both sides.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25