Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: DUI Lawyers

Re: DUI Lawyers

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You were able to get a lawyer to pick up in the middle of the night? At least I'm assuming this wasn't from 9-5 on a weekday.
    I think most lawyers who specialize in DUI answer the phone 24/7 since a majority of their client's "problems" are in the early AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshnky View Post
    You were able to get a lawyer to pick up in the middle of the night? At least I'm assuming this wasn't from 9-5 on a weekday.
    Normally you don't call anyone from the back of a cruiser. If u r there, ur under arrest, and if u r under arrest, u r cuffed.

I would just like to point out some information to you (not legal advice, just information, but important). Anything you say, including in a thread on a baseball discussion board, is considered an admission by a defendant and could be used at trial if an enterprising prosecutor or one of their volunteer law students were able to link you to your Redszone persona. Your best bet is to contact the bar association in the community where the court is located as ask for a referral to a DUI attorney with experience in that particular court. If you need to attorney shop for a better price, so be it. People do it all the time. However, I would refrain from further discussing the facts of the case in this thread.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I don't know about your story. The only thing I have to add to this is that every DUI lawyer that I've ever talked with has told me that if I ever get pulled over and have been drinking, that I should always refuse the breathalyser test, no matter what. I'm not sure the reasons, but I think that is typical advice.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I don't know about your story. The only thing I have to add to this is that every DUI lawyer that I've ever talked with has told me that if I ever get pulled over and have been drinking, that I should always refuse the breathalyser test, no matter what. I'm not sure the reasons, but I think that is typical advice.
    Old school, that was 100% true. "Don't walk, don't talk, don't blow, don't go (peepee)" was the rule of thumb.

New school, that's tough. New laws re: license suspensions and new case law have changed the game.

I know what I'd do. In Ohio. (Don't drink anymore, so that's not an issue.)

In Kentucky, I may do something different.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    The problem is, the law keeps changing, usually in the direction that stacks the deck in the prosecution's favor. The more I deal with it, the more I tell people to have a designated driver. States like Ohio now allow law enforcement to force you to take a blood draw if you refuse the breathalyzer. Not that many communities are taking advantage of it, but it's an option they have.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Best rule of thumb when picking an attorney is if he makes you a promise, walk away. If he/she says "I guarantee I can do ____ for you," get out.

Tell him/her what your best case scenario for your case is, he should tell you whether or not that's realistic and go from there.

Attorneys who make promises about what they can do for you are what gives the profession a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Best rule of thumb when picking an attorney is if he makes you a promise, walk away. If he/she says "I guarantee I can do ____ for you," get out.

Tell him/her what your best case scenario for your case is, he should tell you whether or not that's realistic and go from there.

Attorneys who make promises about what they can do for you are what gives the profession a bad name.
    Exactamundo.

So,

You drove after you had been drinking, don't have a valid license, and you have no insurance.

Take whatever you can get, which is probably not going to be much

DUI is serious business and I don't think anyone in here would disagree. I just don't see why the states can't make part of getting your license that you must submit to a breathalyzer test. Frankly it makes me sad that there is a whole subset of attorneys devoted to helping DUIers wiggle out of their punishment. Maybe this is the way the whole legal system works but its almost like this DUI business is a game between the driver, the attorney, and the court system...no offense intended on this.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    DUI is serious business and I don't think anyone in here would disagree. I just don't see why the states can't make part of getting your license that you must submit to a breathalyzer test. Frankly it makes me sad that there is a whole subset of attorneys devoted to helping DUIers wiggle out of their punishment. Maybe this is the way the whole legal system works but its almost like this DUI business is a game between the driver, the attorney, and the court system...no offense intended on this.
    It's not just with DUIs, it's the entire legal system. The truth isn't what matters, all that matters is what can be proven.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

camis, can you go ahead and reject/accept my trade proposal. I'm worried you won't have access to the internet for a while after reading this thread.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Some would say that being forced to take a breathalyzer is a violation of privacy.

Some would say that being forced to take a breathalyzer is a violation of privacy.
    I propose that right be given up in return for the state handing you a license, though I will get some dissenters on that one.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

It's the nature of drinking and driving. If you are going to have a set BAC that is illegal, there has to be a system in place to measure it at the time you are caught.

It's one of those crimes where the evidence needed to prove you were doing wrong disappears within hours.

To be able to legally refuse one sort of flips the bird at the law. It's not like the police can go down to the courthouse and get a warrant for a test- by the time they got one, you'd be sobered up.

To determine if you are above the legal limit, the police need to know right then and there.

I don't think it invades anybody's civil liberties to ask them to blow into a tube.

Turn Off Ads?