Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Who should the Bengals draft in the first round (#21 overall)?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jermaine Gresham TE Oklahoma

15 34.09%
  • Arrelious Benn WR Illinois

3 6.82%
  • Golden Tate WR Notre Dame

9 20.45%
  • Mike Iupati OG Idaho

2 4.55%
  • Taylor Mays S USC

12 27.27%
  • Other (elaborate below)

3 6.82%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who should the Bengals draft in the first round?

Re: Who should the Bengals draft in the first round?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It's since been corrected to a 4.43. What a tease.
    Mays is an interesting guy (LB size, CB speed) but with the Bengals luck he'll end up being more like Ohalete instead of Polamalu or Reed.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Everyone I know who's seen him in person numerous times says he not only isn't worthy of a 1st Round pick, but that he's someone you don't even want on your team. He's just not that good. He sucks at lateral movement and backpedaling and can't cover anyone one-on-one.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    FYI Taylor Mays just ran a 4.24 at the combine.
    He ran it "forward". (then the "official time" was changed to 4.40)

But, it doesn't matter what he ran "forward". He can't run laterally or backpedal and can't play man-coverage.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

Should the Bengals give up a 1st round pick for Brandon Marshall?

C-A-T-S CATS! CATS! CATS! WVRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_the_Red View Post
    Should the Bengals give up a 1st round pick for Brandon Marshall?
    Performance, I think he is better than any of the Bengals options in the first round. His attitude and the fact that receivers we have brought in havent lived up to expectations (Coles) could be a major drawback.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

If they could afford it, I wouldn't mind seeing the Bengals give up a 1st rd pick for Marshall and a 2nd rd pick for Leon Washington. How much would THAT improve the offense and kick returns?

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Everyone I know who's seen him in person numerous times says he not only isn't worthy of a 1st Round pick, but that he's someone you don't even want on your team. He's just not that good. He sucks at lateral movement and backpedaling and can't cover anyone one-on-one.
    Interesting. I heard Mel talking about him being a winner from the combine. I mean really? Guy put up insane numbers that pretty much everyone predicted. But Mel also said that his limitations could have been the USC system. They had him play a very deep CF on most plays. This may cause him to take bad routes from time to time and guy did go for the kill shot quite a bit (Roy Williams comes to mind). The reason I like Mays is he is as athletically gifted as they come and would be an inforcer in the defensive back field. If he cant play safety they have the opportunity to move him to LB.

Bengals just cut Laverneous Coles.

Hopefully that means either Anquan Boldin or Brandon Marshall is coming to town, or else look for a WR in the first round of the draft. Maybe the two aren't mutually exclusive?
    Go BLUE!!!

Nice scoop, have a source ?
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    Nice scoop, have a source ?
    http://www.bengals.com/news/article-...e-de512d003399

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Bengals just cut Laverneous Coles.

Hopefully that means either Anquan Boldin or Brandon Marshall is coming to town, or else look for a WR in the first round of the draft. Maybe the two aren't mutually exclusive?

Probably the best decision when you consider how much money he was making compared to the production they got from him.

We essentially got nothing for Coles. Another year of seasoning for our young WRs will do wonders. Cutting Coles makes us a better team IMO... with all of his drops. I don't see any reason that we must draft WR in the first round, or trade a top pick for Marshall/Boldin.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    We essentially got nothing for Coles. Another year of seasoning for our young WRs will do wonders. Cutting Coles makes us a better team IMO... with all of his drops. I don't see any reason that we must draft WR in the first round, or trade a top pick for Marshall/Boldin.
    So, who exactly do you see catching passes next year if they don't draft a WR or sign a free agent?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

I don't usally advocate these types of deals but I do think it's time to sign/trade for an impact player on either side of the ball. And since we have an opening at WR I think Brandon Marshall should be the target. And I would consider strongly signing a sure handed TE who is at least an able blocker. I do however love this draft the more I look at it the more I think we come away smelling like a rose either way (keeping the pick or dealing it). If you are gonna trade for Marshall it is probably wise financially speaking to trade the 1st rounder for him. Assuming you think you can do well in the 2nd drafting someone who can make a difference defensively.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm going to guess they go offensive line in the 1st round.

Turn Off Ads?