Turn Off Ads?
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Dragons manager looking for wins

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,014

    Dragons manager looking for wins

    Nice to see the baseball stories starting to pop up...

    Dayton Daily News

    Dragons manager looking for wins

    By Marc Katz, Staff Writer

    DAYTON — Dragons manager Todd Benzinger knows the parent Reds are all about developing players for the big leagues, but he thinks the organization can do even more.

    “Developing players and winning games don’t have to be separate things,” the second-year manager said Wednesday, Feb. 24, at Fifth Third Field.

    Benzinger took a glance at patches of snow on the playing field and said he was looking forward to the season, “as long as it doesn’t look that way in April.”

    He also doesn’t want his team to look as it did last year, when it went 59-80 and missed the Midwest League playoffs for the fourth time in 10 seasons.

    “When you’re a competitor, a big part of your success is going to be your win-loss record,” Benzinger said. “Fans come not just for everything that’s here, but they want to see good baseball, winning baseball. I just feel as (last season) progressed, we were a better team.”

    As usual, injuries, call-ups and other factors led to the Dragons’ failures, especially the 1-11 start as the Reds failed to stock the team with enough talent out of spring training.

    Benzinger said that shouldn’t have mattered.

    “We had the personnel here to squeeze out six to eight more victories,” Benzinger said. “I guess we’ve got to realize what we’re here for (development), but it’s so important for these guys to think of themselves as complete baseball players.

    “That includes, I’m a good base-runner. I do my job in the field. I’m a good teammate. All those things come naturally when you have a kid that wants to win in the worst way.

    “You’ve seen those kids. There’s one or two on every team. You get eight-10 guys like that, they’ll bring everybody with them. All of the sudden, you’re winning those six-eight games.”

    Benzinger begins looking for those kinds of players next week, when he leaves for spring training in Goodyear, Ariz.

    He said he won’t be as quiet as he was last year when managers and coaches at other levels of the organization lobbied for certain players.

    This year, Benzinger said he’s going to look — and ask for — players he can develop and will win some games.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Dragons manager looking for wins

    I figured it was about time for a Katz article. Here in a few weeks, there should be another about the lack of talent the Reds supply to Dayton, in particular how Leake won't be going there, and maybe not Boxberger.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  4. #3
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,283

    Re: Dragons manager looking for wins

    Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    I figured it was about time for a Katz article. Here in a few weeks, there should be another about the lack of talent the Reds supply to Dayton, in particular how Leake won't be going there, and maybe not Boxberger.
    I understand that's the standard response to Katz's articles, but I have to say it's interesting to hear about Benzinger looking to be pro-active going into the season to get quality players to help develop.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

  5. #4
    Member 11larkin11's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Bellefontaine,OH
    Posts
    2,333

    Re: Dragons manager looking for wins

    Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I understand that's the standard response to Katz's articles, but I have to say it's interesting to hear about Benzinger looking to be pro-active going into the season to get quality players to help develop.
    Oh I agree, this is different, but it was just weird that I was thinking its time for Katz to recycle his old article before I logged in, and here was one thats close. It looks like he finally did change it up though
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

    ---TRF

    "I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

    --Bronson Arroyo

  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Bedford, KY
    Posts
    8,992

    Re: Dragons manager looking for wins

    Dayton has very little talent unless some of those GCL guys come up earlier and more talented than expected. Gregorious may be interesting and Stormin' Yorman Rodriguez and Henry Rodriguez may be there sometime in the year, but, for the most part, the talent cupboard is pretty bare.

    Let's hope those GCL pitchers are the real deal.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,014

    Re: Dragons manager looking for wins

    Scrap Irony, you make good points. Billings went 24-52 last year and that is where the players funnel in from. From the 2009 draft, Mark Serrano has already passed through Dayton. Josh Fellhauer probably has too. Donnie Joseph might have. But, you never know how a team will take shape. What if Ravin goes back there and goes 10-5, 2.80? What if Sulbaran takes a big step forward? If Hotchkiss goes back there, he should improve on a 2.73 ERA. What if Means goes back and combines with Oliveras to give them back-to-back .300 hitters at the top of the order?

    That's a lot of "ifs" but in the low minors, you never know. On paper, the talent looks pretty short for the Reds below the Triple-A level right now. I will be surprised if the Reds let the same thing happen this summer that they did in 2009 when they finished with the 29th combined affiliate record in the minors. You just don't want to be reinforcing that loser mentality with your prospects, as Benzinger points out in Katz's story.

  8. #7
    Redsmetz redsmetz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Winton Place
    Posts
    11,283

    Re: Dragons manager looking for wins

    Quote Originally Posted by redsof72 View Post
    Scrap Irony, you make good points. Billings went 24-52 last year and that is where the players funnel in from. From the 2009 draft, Mark Serrano has already passed through Dayton. Josh Fellhauer probably has too. Donnie Joseph might have. But, you never know how a team will take shape. What if Ravin goes back there and goes 10-5, 2.80? What if Sulbaran takes a big step forward? If Hotchkiss goes back there, he should improve on a 2.73 ERA. What if Means goes back and combines with Oliveras to give them back-to-back .300 hitters at the top of the order?

    That's a lot of "ifs" but in the low minors, you never know. On paper, the talent looks pretty short for the Reds below the Triple-A level right now. I will be surprised if the Reds let the same thing happen this summer that they did in 2009 when they finished with the 29th combined affiliate record in the minors. You just don't want to be reinforcing that loser mentality with your prospects, as Benzinger points out in Katz's story.
    I'm guessing that this is what Benzinger is getting at. For example, last year given some of the players you mention who already put time at Dayton were just assumed to be moving up to High A to start the season. I think Benzinger is suggesting that he may press to keep some of these guys to start the season and let them further develope before moving them up. Now, with these particular players, that might not be the best move developmentally, but maybe it is and a half Low A season would do them some added good and help put winning baseball there at Dayton.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

    The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

    The Baseball Bookstore

    http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25