Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Re: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

I don't think Alonso finishes the year in the Reds organization. I think he gets traded as part of a package in the trade deadline, either to acquire a "needed" veteran or to sweeten a package that moves Harang or Arroyo.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If this isn't just lip service, its pretty dumb. If you ask 100 people who have seen both Votto and Alonso play which one would even have a chance of being a solid left fielder, 100 would say Votto. I get that Votto is established and very good, but this is a move that seems built around making a player happy rather than the team better. The team would absolutely 100% be better if Votto were in LF and Alonso at 1B rather than Alonso in LF and Votto at 1B.
    Well, there is some precedent here for not even trying players at positions they can (apparently) play. See Phillips, Brandon.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    And yet, he moved and the Reds won...
    Not until he moved for the 4th time

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Yeah. that's why the Reds won. That one move.
    When Pete moved to 3B it clearly made the Reds a better team. That's all I was saying. If you want to downplay that move to fit whatever it is you are trying to say, feel free to carry on, but I am right in what I am saying.

If Votto needs to move to make the Reds a better team, he will. If he doesn't want to, too bad. A professional will do whatever he has to to make the team better. Alonso is trying to do that; Votto may be asked to do the same in the future regardless of what Jocketty says at this moment.

Bum

* points up to woy's post.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Not until he moved for the 4th time
    Guess I should have been specific about the move I was referring to...

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    * points up to woy's post.
    points up to my last post...carry on...

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because moving him for the kid in AAA ball could make the team better than Votto at 1B and someone else in left field?
    As was said today, it's hard for me to see Votto moving his position at this stage.

I don't see why Alonso can't move to left field. He isn't fast, I don't expect a star defender out there, but he's certainly young enough to make the switch. He seems open to it. Reds should certainly try it.

There are some left fielders in baseball who don't have good reputations as defenders. But they have the most important tool for a guy in that position -- they can hit. If Carlos Lee and Manny Ramirez can play left field - occasionally on winning teams - why can't Alonso.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are some pretty awful defensive left fielders in baseball, who have the most important tool for a guy in that position -- they can hit. If Carlos Lee and Manny Ramirez can play left field - occasionally on winning teams - why can't Alonso.
    Why the heck would the Reds accept second-rate defense if they can avoid it by shifting some players around? I'm sure people who shoot themselves in the foot can occasionally walk afterwards, but that doesn't mean its a recommended practice...
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I read what both of you said and wrote, I think he was very coherent and accurate in every line of his responses and questions in return.
    Here's what I said:

It would be fun to see what would happen if Votto moves and then Alonso bombs. Or Votto turns into Dunn in LF. Or Votto's numbers go down b/c he is bent due to the move. Or if he bolts the first chance he gets b/c he is unhappy with being forced to move for someone who's ceiling is about where Votto was last year.
    I underlined the parts that didn't make it through the translation.

I was basically saying that it would be interesting to see the reaction if any of those things happened after they forced Votto to move. Like if Alonso threw up a .250/.330/.420 line and then Votto walked b/c he was dissatisfied with management's decision.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Why the heck would the Reds accept second-rate defense if they can avoid it by shifting some players around? I'm sure people who shoot themselves in the foot can occasionally walk afterwards, but that doesn't mean its a recommended practice...
    Exactly. There is no doubt that the combo of Votto in LF and Alonso at 1B is the better of the two options solely involving those two players.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I think you're assuming that Votto can be a better left fielder than Alonso. I don't know why you think so.

The vacant position is left. The hitter looking for a spot is Alonso. Why not try him out there?

I still don't see the fun involved in your scenario...It seems counterproductive to cheering for your team to get better and actually win some games. JMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    "Someone like Alonso..." Comical...just another crappy prospect I guess...not as good as Rosales, Janish or Dorn...haha If the Reds clung to the crap prospects like this board does and overlooked their best one's, us fans could count on another 10 years of losing. I have faith that Jockety is smarter than that.

If it makes the team better, you move him. Pete Rose moved all over the place so that the Reds could win but then he wasn't Joey Votto was he?

By the way, you said it would be FUN to watch Alonso bomb...what would be fun about the Red's top prospect bombing?
    Counting on the Reds best prospects to turn the organization around doesn't seem to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    There are some left fielders in baseball who don't have good reputations as defenders. But they have the most important tool for a guy in that position -- they can hit. If Carlos Lee and Manny Ramirez can play left field - occasionally on winning teams - why can't Alonso.
    I agree, you have to at least try Alonso in LF, so what if it fails, it fails at least you tried, if he's Adam Dunn out there then trade him.

Turn Off Ads?