I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang named Opening Day starter

I like the decision to start Harang.

Harang will start Opening Day
    Posted by jfay March 3rd, 2010, 10:19 am

After all the talk and deliberation, Aaron Harang will start Opening Day after all.

Dusty Baker and Bryan Price reached the decision after talking to Harang and Bronson Arroyo. The rotation will be Harang, Johnny Cueto, Arroyo, Homer Bailey and the the fifth starter.

Arroyo did not want to start Opening Day.

“Nobody’s more honest than Bronson,” Baker said. “It might not be what you want to hear but he won’t give you bull. I love that.”

Harang, on the other hand, likes the job. “He pitches his best against No. 1s,” Baker said.

It will be Harang’s fifth straight start on Opening Day.

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much. But I don't really think a guy who over the past 2 season's is 12-31 deserves to be the opening day starter. I guess Game 1 is when Harang gets his shot to prove he is back.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

In the grand scheme of things, it probably doesn't matter all that much, but based on performance alone from 2009, the pick should have been Bronson Arroyo.

But, if he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it. Given his *ahem* "reputation" for enjoying the spirits and the nightlife around town, I'm cool with him missing a day game start whenever possible.
    Last edited by Caveat Emperor; 03-03-2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    In the grand scheme of things it doesn't mean much. But I don't really think a guy who over the past 2 season's is 12-31 deserves to be the opening day starter. I guess Game 1 is when Harang gets his shot to prove he is back.
    He should've hit better in those games he lost.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    W-L record, I'm sure, was not the only consideration.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Harang will start Opening Day (update with reaction)
    Posted by jfay March 3rd, 2010, 10:19 am

After all the talk and deliberation, Aaron Harang will start Opening Day after all.

Dusty Baker and Bryan Price reached the decision after talking to Harang and Bronson Arroyo. The rotation will be Harang, Johnny Cueto, Arroyo, Homer Bailey and the fifth starter.

“I know it’s not a popular decision,” Baker said.

The decision was not an easy one.

“Me and Bryan sat down and talked and we wrestled with it big time,” Baker said. “I talked to Arroyo and Harang. Some of the mannerisms and things I came away with is that Harang is No. 1 for what we need, confidence wise. He’s throwing the ball great.”

Arroyo did not want to start Opening Day.

“Nobody’s more honest than Bronson,” Baker said. “It might not be what you want to hear but he won’t give you bull. I love that.”

Harang, on the other hand, likes the job. “He pitches his best against No. 1s,” Baker said.

It will be Harang’s fifth straight start on Opening Day. Pete Donuhue and Mario only other Reds to start five in a row. Donohue started 1923 through 1927, Soto 1982 through 1986. Soto’s six Opening Day start are the most of anyone.

Harang made it clear he wanted the start.

“I went in and told Bake: I want the ball. If you’re giving it to anybody, I want it. We talked about it. Everybody talks about matchups. After the first week of the season matchups don’t mean anything. Rotations get changed up all the time.”

When Baker wavered on naming Harang the Opening Day starter at the beginning of camp, Arroyo made it clear he didn’t want the start.

“Dusty said he read the article where I said if I had my choice I’d rather not start the opener,” Arroyo said. “I told him it was true. But I throw whenever you me to. Whatever is best for the team.”

Arroyo is not doing that merely out of personal preference.

“I honestly thing Aaron is better equipped to make the start,” Arroyo said. “He’s going to be 90 to 92 with his slider, even when he’s off. My bad days tend to be really bad.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

"I said if it's out there, I want the ball. I want to be your guy," Harang said he told Baker. "[Bronson and I] both talked about it before we even went in there. I wasn't over there trying to make him feel different.

"Do I think Bronson deserves to start Opening Day? Yeah, definitely for what he's shown the past couple of years."

"If I had my choice, I'd rather pitch two or three," Arroyo said. "Cincinnati is one of the few places that Opening Day is really like a holiday. For that reason, it's probably a little tough to concentrate on that day. There's so much stuff going on. I'd rather enjoy that day, soak in all the festivities and pitch the next day or day after that."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...ening_day.html

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    "I said if it's out there, I want the ball. I want to be your guy," Harang said he told Baker. "[Bronson and I] both talked about it before we even went in there. I wasn't over there trying to make him feel different.

"Do I think Bronson deserves to start Opening Day? Yeah, definitely for what he's shown the past couple of years."

"If I had my choice, I'd rather pitch two or three," Arroyo said. "Cincinnati is one of the few places that Opening Day is really like a holiday. For that reason, it's probably a little tough to concentrate on that day. There's so much stuff going on. I'd rather enjoy that day, soak in all the festivities and pitch the next day or day after that."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi...ening_day.html
    Dear Bronson, your #1 goal is to put the team in its best position to win. Not to soak in the festivities.

Just wanted to make sure you knew.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

First of all, let me say that I love this move. Irregardless of how he has performed the last couple years, Harang remains the best pitcher that I remember. I was only a toddler when Jose Rijo was in his prime and the trade that brought Harang to the Reds from the A's was right when I was starting high school. Harang was the best pitcher the Reds had for four years until the infamous game in San Diego. If this is truly Harang's last year as a Red, I personally would like to cheer him on for Opening Day.

As for pushing Arroyo off of Opening Day because he does not pitch well in day games, making him the third starter isn't helping much. The Reds are playing a day game the third game of the year, but I do think Arroyo will be more effective between the flame throwers Cueto and Bailey.

It was going to be Harang or Arroyo and Arroyo made the decision easy once he said he wasn't interested in it.

I'm fine with this.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Seems like a non-event to me. Put your leader and workhorse (assuming health ) out there the first game; after that game, the #1 starters are all shuffled around anyway. Harang is comfortable in that position and Bronson admittedly is not. The Reds top 3 pitchers are all good enough to make that start so put the guy out there that wants it the most.

Bum

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

I'm more interested if the temperature will be 60 and above or 50 and below. Nothing better than having a sunny day on Opening Day!

I like the fact that Arroyo follows Cueto and is followed by Bailey. Good place for him to pitch.

Turn Off Ads?