Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 20 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Alonso trying third base, outfield

Many have wondered what would happen to Joey Votto when Yonder Alonso reaches the big leagues since both are good young hitters and of course, both play first base.

In an effort to see if can be versatile, the Reds have had Alonso working out lately at third base, left field and right field.

"It doesn't matter where I play as long as I play," Alonso said. "As long as I get a shot and prove to the guys I can play there. In my head, I know I can play. I just want to get my shot.

"I'm doing everything, and they're trying everything, so I can go up there."

Right now, it's just a trial run for Alonso. He's still primarily working out at first base.

"We just wanted to expose him to some different positions and see if he feels comfortable," general manager Walt Jocketty said. "We'll see how it goes. If it goes well enough, we'll put him in some games at different positions. It would just make him more valuable to us if he can play other places."

Lots of speculation has involved Votto being moved to left field when Alonso is ready for his promotion. Jocketty dispelled that notion.

"It will take some time to figure it out," he said. "That's why we want to see him at different positions. He's got a great bat and Joey is going to be at first base for a long time. I don't see moving Joey."

More on this later today on MLB.com/Reds.com

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Good, Votto has proven himself to be a future face of this franchise. I think 10 years from now we will be very happy that we kept votto at 1B.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Alonso is July trade bait...

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Alonso is July trade bait...
    Not to turn it into the Beckham/Alonso debate again, but it really does make you wonder what they were thinking....

Don't the reds have thirdbaseman that they've committed to for a couple of years?
    "Even a bad day at the ballpark beats the snot out of most other good days. I'll take my scorecard and pencil and beer and hot dog and rage at the dips and cheer at the highs, but I'm not ever going to stop loving this game and this team and nobody will ever take that away from me." Roy Tucker October 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Not to turn it into the Beckham/Alonso debate again, but it really does make you wonder what they were thinking....
    Best player available and that is the way it should be.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Well 3B is a better idea than catcher but...

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Best player available and that is the way it should be.
    I agree completely. If Alonso proves himself to be a decent ML hitter, it's a good problem to have. I want the Reds to be forced to have to decide where they're going to play three very good young hitters (Votto, Bruce, Alonso) over the next several years. And I would prefer that they all three be on our team.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Seems like the Reds aren't very big on commiting prospects to a position. Francisco, Frazier, now Alonso. Playing all over the lot. Hope it works out.

I agree that the team should take the best player available... but I'm not sure that Alonso WAS the best player available, especially considering that Beckham is a heavy-hitting middle infielder--not exactly the type that grows on trees, if you know what I mean. Sure, if their estimation was that Yonder was a better overall player at the time, I'm okay with it. That said, given Alonso's defensive liabilities and Beckham's rarity as a good hitter at a weak position, I'd be really interested in knowing what the thought process was for Buckley and the Reds scouts to arrive at that conclusion.
    Last edited by RedEye; 03-01-2010 at 11:31 AM.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

There is no doubt that if the reds had beckham playing SS right now instead of Alonso in AAA they would be in better position to win now and in the next few years. My guess is that the reds thought alonsos bat was to much to pass up and they thought beckham could only play 2nd. I would have rather had beckham but hindsight is 20/20.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    They did not know at the time how good Votto was going to be. None of us did.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Don't the reds have thirdbaseman that they've committed to for a couple of years?

A couple of years. Plus Rolen isn't exactly known for staying healthy. I expect that to worsen as he gets older.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by dunner13 View Post
    There is no doubt that if the reds had beckham playing SS right now instead of Alonso in AAA they would be in better position to win now and in the next few years. My guess is that the reds thought alonsos bat was to much to pass up and they thought beckham could only play 2nd. I would have rather had beckham but hindsight is 20/20.
    There's a solid chance Beckham will never play SS. That's the thing. There were questions about his ability to play there defensively, and the Sox have since converted him to third. I don't mind the logic that, even as a third baseman, he was more valuable a prospect than Yonder Alonso. However, if it was based on the premise that he's a great-hitting middle infielder, then that premise seems to be based on somewhat faulty logic if he doesn't in fact have the glove to stay there.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Here's the thing. Votto is a GREAT hitter. But I don't think his defense ought to be dismissed, either. Votto has worked hard on his defense. I think he has worked on his defense so much that he has turned it from a liability into a pretty decent asset.

He may not be a Gold Glover, but I'd say Joey is solid average, and maybe a tick or two better than average. And it wouldn't surprise me if in three or four years, Votto isn't one of the top three defensive 1B's in the NL.

Wasn't he drafted as a catcher? Didn't the Reds experiment with Votto at 3B for part of a season in the low minors?
    “I think I throw the ball as hard as anyone. The ball just doesn't get there as fast.” — Eddie Bane

“We know we're better than this ... but we can't prove it.” — Tony Gwynn

Turn Off Ads?