Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Re: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    When Alonso puts up ONE season as good as Dorn, let me know.
    haha...Enjoy Dorn's minor league numbers as he is either the DH at AAA this year or he sits on the bench. Alonso is a real prospect and producing eye-popping minor league numbers aren't really a goal. The goal is to get to MLB and produce at that level. Want to wager on who has the better MLB career? I doubt that Dorn gets 1000 AB's at the MLB level. Keep up the fight though.

Bum

2. Turn Off Ads?

Really? It may not be ideal, but if you have a consistent .950-1.000 OPS guy then I doubt you'll hear to many complaints about LF or 1B defense unless you're tuned to 700 WLW.
    Adam Dunn says hi. I may not agree with the premise that LF defense is a priority but Dunn heard plenty of complaints, and I have doubts that Alonso can come close to OPS'ing in Dunn's neighborhood regularly.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Adam Dunn says hi. I may not agree with the premise that LF defense is a priority but Dunn heard plenty of complaints, and I have doubts that Alonso can come close to OPS'ing in Dunn's neighborhood regularly.
    But if Alonso were to hit .300, while OPSing less, you know the complaints would go away. Such is life, sadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    haha...Enjoy Dorn's minor league numbers as he is either the DH at AAA this year or he sits on the bench. Alonso is a real prospect and producing eye-popping minor league numbers aren't really a goal. The goal is to get to MLB and produce at that level. Want to wager on who has the better MLB career? I doubt that Dorn gets 1000 AB's at the MLB level. Keep up the fight though.

Bum
    And how exactly does one kick the door down without eyepopping numbers? Dorn probably is a future DH, but he's dominated every level he's played at except AAA. Want to wager on who has a better 2010 at Louisville? All this talk about Alonso supplanting Votto, and I'm thinking Alonso likely won't be the best hitter on his AAA team. In fact, he could be 4th behind Frazier, Dorn and Heisey. And if Francisco continues his torrid hitting from winter ball, make it 5th. I'm not saying it will happen, but it certainly could.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post

Bum
    Also, AAA doesn't use the DH. At least I don't think it does.

And how exactly does one kick the door down without eyepopping numbers? Dorn probably is a future DH, but he's dominated every level he's played at except AAA. Want to wager on who has a better 2010 at Louisville? All this talk about Alonso supplanting Votto, and I'm thinking Alonso likely won't be the best hitter on his AAA team. In fact, he could be 4th behind Frazier, Dorn and Heisey. And if Francisco continues his torrid hitting from winter ball, make it 5th. I'm not saying it will happen, but it certainly could.
    So, you will wager on AAA but not MLB...I would do the same in the Dorn vs Alonso debate. Alonso doesn't have to have the best stats at AAA to get where he needs to be. He needs to continue to develop. I guarantee Alonso hits in the middle of the lineup at AAA and Dorn hits somewhere behind him. Alonso, at worst, has the 2nd best OPS on the AAA team this season (barring injury). Even if he's 3rd or 4th, all that really matters is that he develops and gets a full season in and prepares himself for the next level. Dorn has to kick the door down because nobody (baseball people; all 30 MLB teams) believes he can do it at the MLB level.

I believe they do use the DH at AAA, but it may be optional.

just found this
    At the double-A and triple-A level, when both teams are National League affiliates, they have their pitchers bat; otherwise the DH is used.
    And Dorn is the Bats RF this year.

So if Dorn once again has a .900+ OPS season, this was his line against RH's: .299 .370 .497 .867 at AAA, but lifetime its .312 .394 .554 .948, AND he's logged time at 1B, you still consider him a non prospect?
    Last edited by TRF; 03-04-2010 at 11:11 AM.

The takeaway, that I am getting from all this, is that the L'ville team should be an offensive powerhouse.

just found this

And Dorn is the Bats RF this year.

So if Dorn once again has a .900+ OPS season, this was his line against RH's: .299 .370 .497 .867 at AAA, but lifetime its .312 .394 .554 .948, AND he's logged time at 1B, you still consider him a non prospect?
    How can every group of experts in baseball be wrong about Danny Dorn? My understanding is that he's not even in the top 30 Reds prospects in Baseball America's book this year. Top 30? I have Sickels book with 1200 prospects in it and I'm pretty sure Dorn isn't in there (I really have to re-check to be certain though). I think if he was a prospect that he would have gotten at least some sort of opportunity by the Reds; I really don't buy that he can play OF well enough to support whatever offense he brings. I don't know how everyone can be wrong about Danny Dorn but maybe he has some sort of future in the AL. To be honest, I would have rather seen the Reds use Dorn or Heisey as the 4th/5th OF than bring back Gomes.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    The takeaway, that I am getting from all this, is that the L'ville team should be an offensive powerhouse.
    I think it will be. Legit power from Alonso, Frazier, Francisco, somewhat less power from Heisey and Valaika. and don't discount the pop in Cozart's bat either. I can certainly see double digit HR totals from 7 of the 8 regulars, and 20+ HR's from as many as 4.

I'm kinda hoping Frazier forces his way to Cincy, but if not, yeah, a lot of good bats pooling down the Ohio River. Will be even if Frazier or Heisey sticks with the big club.

I'm kinda hoping Frazier forces his way to Cincy, but if not, yeah, a lot of good bats pooling down the Ohio River. Will be even if Frazier or Heisey sticks with the big club.
    I think Heisey had the best shot prior to Gomes signing. Now i think he's the Bats CF. Frazier? 3B or LF for the Bats with JF manning whichever position Frazier isn't. Maybe they'll alternate. I sure would like to see Frazier in a set position though.

And Baker has already said his lineup is set. I'm thinking the OF's are Bruce, Dickerson, Stubbs, Gomes and Wlad. Options play a role here, and Wlad seems to be a favorite of WJ's.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Hoarding talent is only half the battle -- the other half is moving and flipping some of said talent to fill gaps in your own system.

Me? I see a couple guys who are position blocked and see gaping holes other places in the system (SS, C). I also see expensive players (Harang, Arroyo) and players set to get very expensive (Phillips) who might need relpacements. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what needs to happen here.

Stop trying to pound round pegs into square holes -- go find a guy with some extra square pegs and see if you can't work something out.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Now, if Alonso explodes, as doug insists will happen this season, you can re-visit the scenario later. After the season, more likely. It's not like those extra AAA ABs is going to kill Alonso anyway.
    And any good GM and organization will have contingency plans for events that may happen. The more likely the event, the more they need to think about it.

Alonso having a break-out season has a decent chance of occuring. If it does, I'd hope WJ has some ideas as to how to handle it.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    And any good GM and organization will have contingency plans for events that may happen. The more likely the event, the more they need to think about it.

Alonso having a break-out season has a decent chance of occuring. If it does, I'd hope WJ has some ideas as to how to handle it.
    Maybe. but will it happen to start the season or in the middle. I've heard both from posters in this thread. Is the hand fully healed or not?

And WJ had better have plans, but they better not be limited to "I think Votto can play LF". They should include, I wonder what we can get from KC for Alonso. Or SD, especially if they trade their very good 1B. (likely IMO) or any number of other clubs that don't have Pujols or Tex.

Turn Off Ads?