Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Re: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Agreed -- why mess with the guy who has made it to the majors and is playing successfully at a high level to clear room for a kid who hasn't been spectacular in the minors and is still in AA ball?
    That is what I was stumbling over in this article. It all seems somewhat premature for this discussion due to what you have said "a kid who hasn't been spectacular in the minors and is still in AA ball" It's going to be awhile yet, isn't it?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Bumstead View Post
    Again, I am amused by the bashers. Alonso is one the 2-3 best hitting prospects the Reds have had in the last 10 years or so and y'all can't even appreciate it. Pretty funny.

Bum

Hmm. Dunn, Kearns, Votto, Bruce. Thats four prospects I would have ranked ahead of Alonso. I have Frazier ahead of him too (JMO)

2-3? no. top 10? sure.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

When Alonso is ready to play in MLB, it is not going to matter what prospect # people have attached to him, what's going to matter is how are the Reds the best team they can be. If Votto has to move to make the Reds better, his and this board's tears will really be pointless much as this board's defensiveness on the issue is meaningless right now. Walt said what he had to say at this point, but that may very well change down the line.

Again, I am amused by the bashers. Alonso is one the 2-3 best hitting prospects the Reds have had in the last 10 years or so and y'all can't even appreciate it. Pretty funny.

Bum
    Maybe Alonso is one of the 2-3 best hitting prospects. But Votto is one of the 2-3 best players Cincy has had. That's the difference.

It would be fun to see what would happen if Votto moves and then Alonso bombs. Or Votto turns into Dunn in LF. Or Votto's numbers go down b/c he is bent due to the move. Or if he bolts the first chance he gets b/c he is unhappy with being forced to move for someone who's ceiling is about where Votto was last year.

This isn't MLB The Show. You can't just move them around for the hell of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    That is what I was stumbling over in this article. It all seems somewhat premature for this discussion due to what you have said "a kid who hasn't been spectacular in the minors and is still in AA ball" It's going to be awhile yet, isn't it?
    Reds can't keep Alonso on the farm for too long because he signed a major league deal and uses an option every year. So they have to decide on him fairly soon.

This is a big year for him. He needs to stay healthy and hit.

And by the way, I don't see why Alonso can't be a left fielder. Stubbs can cover half his position if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Reds can't keep Alonso on the farm for too long because he signed a major league deal and uses an option every year. So they have to decide on him fairly soon.

This is a big year for him. He needs to stay healthy and hit.

And by the way, I don't see why Alonso can't be a left fielder. Stubbs can cover half his position if necessary.
    I think that you are right about all of that. I just don't know the rest of the specifics of his contract or the Reds plans.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe Alonso is one of the 2-3 best hitting prospects. But Votto is one of the 2-3 best players Cincy has had. That's the difference.

It would be fun to see what would happen if Votto moves and then Alonso bombs. Or Votto turns into Dunn in LF. Or Votto's numbers go down b/c he is bent due to the move. Or if he bolts the first chance he gets b/c he is unhappy with being forced to move for someone who's ceiling is about where Votto was last year.

This isn't MLB The Show. You can't just move them around for the hell of it.
    See, that's the problem, why do you assume he would bomb? Just because he plays the same position as Votto? That's ridiculous. He's a tremendous player and he is being bashed just because he plays the same position as this board's favorite player, right? What if he was a LF, would you say the same things about it being fun to watch him bomb? What would be fun about that?

To others: Kearns was not a better prospect than Alonso (and while Frazier is a fine prospect, he is not the hitting prospect that Alonso is; Frazier's floor and ceiling as a hitter are both below Alonso's) and Gordon Beckham is not a MI at all; he is a CI at this point. Not that Beckham even matters since he is not in the Red's organization but one should understand his capabilities before posting that he's a "hard-hitting MI..."

Bum

See, that's the problem, why do you assume he would bomb? Just because he plays the same position as Votto? That's ridiculous. He's a tremendous player and he is being bashed just because he plays the same position as this board's favorite player, right? What if he was a LF, would you say the same things about it being fun to watch him bomb? What would be fun about that?

To others: Kearns was not a better prospect than Alonso (and while Frazier is a fine prospect, he is not the hitting prospect that Alonso is; Frazier's floor and ceiling as a hitter are both below Alonso's) and Gordon Beckham is not a MI at all; he is a CI at this point. Not that Beckham even matters since he is not in the Red's organization but one should understand his capabilities before posting that he's a "hard-hitting MI..."

Bum
    I'm not assuming that Alonso is going to bomb. I just don't see why you move your best player for someone who carries risk.

If Walt went and got Pujols, I'd personally buy Votto a new mitt. If there was a top, top prospect coming through the minors who was tearing up AAA and was a disaster in LF, I would strongly consider my options. But I wouldn't do that for someone like Alonso at this point.

"Someone like Alonso..." Comical...just another crappy prospect I guess...not as good as Rosales, Janish or Dorn...haha If the Reds clung to the crap prospects like this board does and overlooked their best one's, us fans could count on another 10 years of losing. I have faith that Jockety is smarter than that.

If it makes the team better, you move him. Pete Rose moved all over the place so that the Reds could win but then he wasn't Joey Votto was he?

By the way, you said it would be FUN to watch Alonso bomb...what would be fun about the Red's top prospect bombing?

"Someone like Alonso..." Comical...just another crappy prospect I guess...not as good as Rosales, Janish or Dorn...haha If the Reds clung to the crap prospects like this board does and overlooked their best one's, us fans could count on another 10 years of losing. I have faith that Jockety is smarter than that.

If it makes the team better, you move him. Pete Rose moved all over the place so that the Reds could win but then he wasn't Joey Votto was he?

By the way, you said it would be FUN to watch Alonso bomb...what would be fun about the Red's top prospect bombing?
    Pete threw a fit the first time he was asked to move, and basically refused to do it.

You might want to re-read what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    You might want to re-read what I said.
    I read what both of you said and wrote, I think he was very coherent and accurate in every line of his responses and questions in return.

It would be fun to see what would happen if Votto moves and then Alonso bombs.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-01-2010 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Pete threw a fit the first time he was asked to move, and basically refused to do it.
    And yet, he moved and the Reds won...

2010 will be Yonder Alonso's second option year out of four. He won't be required to be in the big leagues until 2013.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Agreed -- why mess with the guy who has made it to the majors and is playing successfully at a high level to clear room for a kid who hasn't been spectacular in the minors and is still in AA ball?
    Because moving him for the kid in AAA ball could make the team better than Votto at 1B and someone else in left field?

And yet, he moved and the Reds won...
    Yeah. that's why the Reds won. That one move.

Turn Off Ads?