Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Re: Alonso trying 3B, OF. Jocketty: "I don't see us moving Joey"

Quote Originally Posted by MikeS21 View Post
    Here's the thing. Votto is a GREAT hitter. But I don't think his defense ought to be dismissed, either. Votto has worked hard on his defense. I think he has worked on his defense so much that he has turned it from a liability into a pretty decent asset.

He may not be a Gold Glover, but I'd say Joey is solid average, and maybe a tick or two better than average. And it wouldn't surprise me if in three or four years, Votto isn't one of the top three defensive 1B's in the NL.

Wasn't he drafted as a catcher? Didn't the Reds experiment with Votto at 3B for part of a season in the low minors?
    He was drafted as a catcher. And his minor stats show that in his first season in the GCL, he played 3 games in LF, 7 at catcher and 19 at 3B. I'll leave others to determine what that record was defensively.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...d=votto-001jos
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Alonso is July trade bait...
    Yup.

Assuming Joey Votto's personal issues are behind him, I'd be shocked if Alonso ever logs significant time with the Cincinnati Reds.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If this isn't just lip service, its pretty dumb. If you ask 100 people who have seen both Votto and Alonso play which one would even have a chance of being a solid left fielder, 100 would say Votto. I get that Votto is established and very good, but this is a move that seems built around making a player happy rather than the team better. The team would absolutely 100% be better if Votto were in LF and Alonso at 1B rather than Alonso in LF and Votto at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    If this isn't just lip service, its pretty dumb. If you ask 100 people who have seen both Votto and Alonso play which one would even have a chance of being a solid left fielder, 100 would say Votto. I get that Votto is established and very good, but this is a move that seems built around making a player happy rather than the team better. The team would absolutely 100% be better if Votto were in LF and Alonso at 1B rather than Alonso in LF and Votto at 1B.
    That sure takes a lot of other players out of the equation.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    That sure takes a lot of other players out of the equation.
    Well of course. But hypothetically if they are sticking with those two at those positions, then what I said makes perfect sense.

But of course they aren't. Heisey has a shot at LF (should be CF, but that's another argument) Frazier has a shot. Francisco has a shot, longer maybe, but its there. Wlad has a shot.

The best combo isn't necessarily Votto/Alonso. And Alonso's greatest value to the Reds might be as trade bait.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Alonso trying to find a spot
    By C. Trent Rosecrans, CNATI.com Posted March 1, 2010 12:14 PM ET

GOODYEAR, Ariz. - Yonder Alonso hears the talk, how could he not? Even without the talk, it makes sense. The Reds have a franchise first baseman who is young and getting better every season in Joey Votto, and Alonso plays the same position.

Picked by the Reds with the seventh overall selection in the 2008 draft, Alonso's bat is nearing big-league ready, but he just needs a place to play. That could come from a change of team or a change of position.

"I don't want to get traded, I really like it here," Alonso said.

Alonso played in Class A Sarasota last season and in Class AA Carolina before missing two months with a broken right hamate bone and then played in the Arizona Fall League. Baseball America rated him the Reds' second-best prospect coming into the 2010 season. Bottom line is, he's got to play. It just doesn't appear it'll be at first base.

So Alonso's trying his hand elsewhere. On his own, he's been working in the outfield. He's also gone back to work on third base, a position he played in college, and he even caught bullpens last season ("I sucked," he notes. "I was terrible.")

"I've got to make sure I prepare, look at all the field, right, left, third, first, anything. I can also catch and just hope for the best," Alonso said.

Reds manager Dusty Baker said he noticed Alonso working in leftfield on his own on Sunday.

"I know he can hit," Baker said.

Alonso will likely get his chance to show that in the exhibition games. He and Votto are the only players who are primarily first basemen in camp, although several others can and have played first. Danny Dorn plays first too, but is listed as an outfield. Baker also said the team would employ a designated hitter for much of spring in order to get more players at-bats.

Regardless, Alonso said he knows he'll get his chance and isn't frustrated at having to find a way around Votto, who is unlikely to move positions now that he has established himself as a good defensive first baseman.

"It's not frustrating, because I look at it as a challenge for me," Alonso said. "I look at (Votto) and try to learn as much as I can. I talk to Scott Rolen about what I can do. I talk to Jay Bruce. You'll see me talking to everyone, trying to learn. So far it's worked out good. I'm getting positive feedback. I'm happy. As long as I hit, I guess."

Because Alonso can hit, the Reds will find a place for him - until then, he'll be saddled with the questions, which is the worst part.

"It comes with it," Alonso said. "We've got an All-Star at first base and you have someone coming up that's young, 22, and it's just part of it. I've got to make sure I'm prepared and do my part, and everyone's going to do their part and win."

Baker noted that it's hardly unprecedented, either.

"I remember coming up as a kid when they had Willie McCovy and Orlando Cepeda on the same team and they ended up moving one to the outfield. You remember when the Cincinnati Reds had Lee May and Tony Perez. They had a similar problem there, right?"

In the end, the Reds traded Lee May to Houston to alleviate that logjam and got a decent second baseman out of the deal.

http://cnati.com/spring-training-201...a-spot-001395/

I think you're right Doug on each of your points.
    +
    Maybe some of it is just conversation now, or lip service as you have said.

You have to love Alonso's attitude. It sounds like he's willing to do anything to to reach the majors with the Reds. I'd love to have his bat in the lineup everyday along with Bruce and Votto, but I'm just not sure if we'll ever see that. I agree with some of the others, I think he may end up being trade bait, a la Matt LaPorta.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-01-2010 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Seems like the Reds aren't very big on commiting prospects to a position. Francisco, Frazier, now Alonso. Playing all over the lot. Hope it works out.
    Deron Johnson, Tony Perez, Tommy Harper, Dan Driessen made it through the changes, maybe these guys can too.

Keeping Votto happy would make more sense to me than moving him for the #50something prospect in baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Alonso is July trade bait...
    Yep. I'll bet a dollar he's in another organization by this time next year.

I just hope we get a good SS, C, or LF in return. I'll settle for a starter if we're in the midst of a playoff run.

Again, not to beat a dead horse, but would you/they do the same thing if we were talking about Justin Smoak?
    Last edited by Benihana; 03-01-2010 at 02:18 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Jocketty on Alonso
    Posted by jfay March 1st, 2010, 2:28 pm

Walt Jocketty said the Reds plan to try Yonder Alonso at other positions.

“We’ll play him at third and in left,” Jocketty said. “We’ll see how he plays there. I don’t see Joey (Votto) moving.”

If Alonso can’t make the transition from first base to another position, a trade may be inevitable.

“I don’t want to speculate on that,” Jocketty said. “We drafted Alonso for his bat. We’re going to try to find a place for him to play.”

The Reds also have Juan Francisco and Todd Frazier is the mix for left and third.

“We have a lot of good young players,” Jocketty said. “It’s a good problem to have. But these things have there ways of working out.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Keeping Votto happy would make more sense to me than moving him for the #50something prospect in baseball.
    Agreed -- why mess with the guy who has made it to the majors and is playing successfully at a high level to clear room for a kid who hasn't been spectacular in the minors and is still in AA ball?
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    When Alonso is ready to play in MLB, it is not going to matter what prospect # people have attached to him, what's going to matter is how are the Reds the best team they can be. If Votto has to move to make the Reds better, his and this board's tears will really be pointless much as this board's defensiveness on the issue is meaningless right now. Walt said what he had to say at this point, but that may very well change down the line.

Again, I am amused by the bashers. Alonso is one the 2-3 best hitting prospects the Reds have had in the last 10 years or so and y'all can't even appreciate it. Pretty funny.

Bum

Turn Off Ads?