Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no in 2010?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bailey

21 40.38%
  • Cueto

19 36.54%
  • Chapman

9 17.31%
  • Wood/Volquez

3 5.77%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no?

Re: Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no?

I was in the Arroyo boat before I opened this thread. He gets on a roll from time to time with that breaking ball and he dominates a lineup... Not to mention that he would be allowed to throw more pitches if he made it deep into a game with the chance at a no-no.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    I was in the Arroyo boat before I opened this thread. He gets on a roll from time to time with that breaking ball and he dominates a lineup... Not to mention that he would be allowed to throw more pitches if he made it deep into a game with the chance at a no-no.
    I watched him come close to no hitting the Nats a few years back at RFK. He only gave up a soft single to Ryan Zimmerman early in the game. His breaking ball was unhittable that day and he really mixed his speeds very well. I voted for Cueto on this list but thought about a write in for Arroyo too.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Bailey, Chapman, Cueto, and Volquez all have no-hit stuff. But a lot of great pitchers with great stuff have never thrown a no-hitter, like Pedro Martinez, Roger Clemens, and Greg Maddux, among others. I'd give the those four the best chance of throwing a no-hitter. Cueto and Volquez have both flirted with no-hitters so far.

If you recall last April, Volquez threw 8 IP of 1 hit ball against the Astros. The only hit was a Miguel Tejada double off the bottom of the RF wall in the first inning and it could have been caught but Bruce sort of mistimed his jump. I also recell Cueto carrying a no-hitter into the 6th inning at least three different times in his rookie season. All four have the stuff to do it but ya just never know. It takes some luck to go along with skill.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-02-2010 at 10:33 AM.

I was at the Holtzman no-hitter in '71. Wish I'd been at the Wise one instead. As I recall, he also hit two homers. Can't be too many better single-game performances in baseball history- pitch a no-hitter and go yard twice.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

I think Chapman just strikes me as the type who could when on his game be unhittable.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I always bet the longshot, so I am going with Justin Lehr, five inning game, called on account of rain.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

No Harang or BA I said Bailey

Cueto is my favorite in the entire system.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Quote Originally Posted by Jpup View Post
    Cueto is my favorite in the entire system.
    Cueto is a favorite of mine as well. I thought might as well play along and vote for him.

Turn Off Ads?