Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no in 2010?

Voters
52. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bailey

21 40.38%
  • Cueto

19 36.54%
  • Chapman

9 17.31%
  • Wood/Volquez

3 5.77%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no?

Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no?

I like Bailey's stuff the best

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Which Reds pitcher has the best stuff to throw a no-no?

George Culver threw a no-hitter.

So I guess anyone of the above can too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    George Culver threw a no-hitter.

So I guess anyone of the above can too.
    good morning buddy

Quote Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
    good morning buddy
    Mornin'.

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Bailey's new splitter will lead to enough grounders to give him a good head start on the no-no

Homer could easily throw a no hitter during his career.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

I was lucky enough to sit in the scout seats behind home plate for this game:
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...00609050.shtml

Arroyo was masterful in the 3 hit shutout of the Giants; the ball was moving all over the place, and he was spotting it. It was the most fun I've had at the ballpark in years, and one of the prettiest games I have ever seen pitched.

When Arroyo is on, he could throw a no-no. Cueto and Homer have more electric stuff, of course.

I agree with AlwaysRed. I was surprised that Arroyo wasn't an option. He was my first thought.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

BTW, we're overdue for a no-hitter. It's been over 20 years since Browning threw his perfect game. The franchise has never gone that long without a no-hitter. Prior to this was 19 years from Hod Eller tossing one in May, 1919 until Vandy's back to back no-hitters. The next longest stretch was 18 years from Blackwell's no-hitter in June 1947 (and he almost duplicated Vander Meer's fit in the next game) until Jim Maloney threw his first one in August, 1965. No to jinx anyone, but I think we'll get one this year.

Likewise, it's been almost forty years since we've had a no-hitter thrown against us when Rick Wise did it on 6/23/71. Of course, Ken Holtzman threw one against us nearly three weeks earlier (6/3/71).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    BTW, we're overdue for a no-hitter. It's been over 20 years since Browning threw his perfect game. The franchise has never gone that long without a no-hitter. Prior to this was 19 years from Hod Eller tossing one in May, 1919 until Vandy's back to back no-hitters. The next longest stretch was 18 years from Blackwell's no-hitter in June 1947 (and he almost duplicated Vander Meer's fit in the next game) until Jim Maloney threw his first one in August, 1965. No to jinx anyone, but I think we'll get one this year.

Likewise, it's been almost forty years since we've had a no-hitter thrown against us when Rick Wise did it on 6/23/71. Of course, Ken Holtzman threw one against us nearly three weeks earlier (6/3/71).
    The current team would appear to be quite vulnerable to a no-no. If I had to wager, I'd bet the second streak is more likely to be broken.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Bailey and Cueto have both had no hit kinds of stuff during games. I give Bailey the nod because I think he has the frame to work deeper into games. But at the same time I have seen games in which Cueto was masterful.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post

It's amazing the Reds haven't had a no hitter thrown against them in nearly 40 years. As you can see by my signature line,1971 was the first season I followed the Reds and I can remember listening to both of those games. Wise hit 2 home runs to boot in his no-no. I would think 40 years would be near a record of not having a no hitter thrown against you. It also shows you how much luck is involved in getting one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

I picked Cueto as I think he has perfect game stuff. he had low BB rates in the minors, good K rates and of course the D behind him is improved (maybe... not sold on SS being improved).
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Bailey. If he masters the split, and keeps improving command of a fastball that sits around 94 and can go higher, to go with that curve, he's got that kind of stuff.

Chapman in September.

Turn Off Ads?