Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Marty B. on local radio (OKC) gushing about pitching staff

Worth The Wait

Marty B. on local radio (OKC) gushing about pitching staff

Former major leaguer Jim Traber (check him out on youtube chasing down a Japanese pitcher) hosts a radio show here in Oklahoma City. Traber also worked with the DBacks when Thom B. was there and they are good friends, which is why I assume Marty was on his show yesterday.

I doubt Marty said anything on the air here that he hasn't repeated for you all locally, but I figured I'd share anyway.

Some highlights:

--Says the organization has the most talent/depth in the pitching department that he's seen in his 37 years with the Reds.

--Says the rumors about Champmann not having command are "not accurate." Says he has nothing to indicate that finding the plate will be a problem for him.

--Says Homer was awesome in September last year when he finally realized "that he didn't write the book on pitching" and become receptive to coaching/advice. Marty seems to be very high on Homer now.

--Big year for Cueto....too inconsistent thus far and this year can't use youth as a crutch. Time for him to do it night in and night out.

--Called Votto a superstar and also defended Bruce's low batting average last year by saying he was still on pace for big power numbers before the wrist injury. Thinks Jay will rebound in 2010.

--Thinks the Hernandez resigning was biggest move of off-season (besides Champman). Also glad Gomes is back.

--Says the organization did everything they could this off-season to improve the club. Fans can't have issue with the effort of the FO.

--Talked a bit about Stubbs and Dickerson, using them as examples of quality young talent.

--Traber is VERY critical of the local Thunder announcers for being homers and went into "homerism" with Marty. Marty said he never uses "we" and "them" and says that he has probably been given more room to speak his mind than any announcer in the history of the game. Says he appreciates that and just want folks to consider him "credible."

--Finished by saying Reds are headed in right direction and that the offense won't need to be THAT much better for us to improve our win total with this pitching staff. Thinks the Reds could very well be in contention come September.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Re: Marty B. on local radio (OKC) gushing about pitching staff

I don't think I can remember a Reds team that I was this excited for in March. Even the 99 team didn't seem that special on paper before the year started.

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    I don't think I can remember a Reds team that I was this excited for in March. Even the 99 team didn't seem that special on paper before the year started.
    If Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, and Bailey don't do well, the optimism will all be for nothing.

Reds have a promising future. That's exciting.

But they don't have any first-tier, sureshot starting pitchers for 2010. So I'm trying to stay cautious in my optimism.

If the starting staff doesn't hold up, the team doesn't have the offense to compete IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    If Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, and Bailey don't do well, the optimism will all be for nothing.

Reds have a promising future. That's exciting.

But they don't have any first-tier, sureshot starting pitchers for 2010. So I'm trying to stay cautious in my optimism.

If the starting staff doesn't hold up, the team doesn't have the offense to compete IMO.
    If the starting staff doesn't hold up, they could have the Cleveland Indians' 95 offense and it wouldn't matter.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    If the starting staff doesn't hold up, they could have the Cleveland Indians' 95 offense and it wouldn't matter.
    If any teams pitching doesn't hold up, they won't have a chance either. I mean, come on fellas...that's like saying a football team who doesn't have an offensive line won't have a shot. This is obvious. If the pitching staff stays healthy and performs like they should (Homer and Cueto continue to improve and BA/Harang are career avg's, and the 5th starter isn't a black hole), then this team will be in the hunt the entire season.

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    If any teams pitching doesn't hold up, they won't have a chance either. I mean, come on fellas...that's like saying a football team who doesn't have an offensive line won't have a shot. This is obvious. If the pitching staff stays healthy and performs like they should (Homer and Cueto continue to improve and BA/Harang are career avg's, and the 5th starter isn't a black hole), then this team will be in the hunt the entire season.
    Play in a big enough ballpark, and you can win with dicey pitching staffs. The Reds have had bottom tier pitching staffs in a bandbox park.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

But now have one that looks at least league average. Add in a Top Three defense behind them and the possible improvements of the young and you've got reason for optimism.

There's a big difference between "credible" and "egomaniac". Marty has tried to make himself the show over the last decade, but maybe it's hard to blame him. After all, there hasn't been much on the field to call to listeners' attention.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

But I thought Marty was always negative and we were all supposed to hate him?!?

Or maybe he has just been telling like it is this whole time during one of the worst stretches ever of Reds baseball.

Love Marty. He won't be truly appreciated by some Reds fans until he's gone and we have some emotionless clock-puncher as the PBP guy. Thanks for being passionate and telling it like it is, Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

Or maybe he has just been telling like it is this whole time during one of the worst stretches ever of Reds baseball.

Love Marty. He won't be truly appreciated by some Reds fans until he's gone and we have some emotionless clock-puncher as the PBP guy. Thanks for being passionate and telling it like it is, Marty.

We have been down this road dozens of times.

Everyone agrees at one time Marty was one of the best PBP announcers of all time.

Then he became "The Hall Of Famer" and he hasn't been near as good calling PBP since. I just wish he would pay more attention to the game.

Marty has never been afraid to state his opinion and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. It is what it is... his opinion.

Marty is a human being, there are players he likes and players he dislikes. Sometimes there's a wide margin between Marty's opinion and "like it is".

I love it when Marty takes time out from talking to or joking with his friends in the radio booth long enough to do PBP.

Marty is still the best I've ever heard at calling a game winning hit.

Senor Votto

"defended Bruce's low batting average last year by saying he was still on pace for big power numbers before the wrist injury. Thinks Jay will rebound in 2010. "

That wasn't alright for Adam Dunn to have a low average but have big power numbers in the past but it's okay for Bruce?

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    "defended Bruce's low batting average last year by saying he was still on pace for big power numbers before the wrist injury. Thinks Jay will rebound in 2010. "

That wasn't alright for Adam Dunn to have a low average but have big power numbers in the past but it's okay for Bruce?
    Excuse you but Marty loved Adam Dunn and I remember his glowing praise of him during many games. I'll not sit by while you spout your dirty revisionist history. I will kill the crap out of you in MW2.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

I agree.

Marty has gotten a little cynical over the past decade, but many on here have as well. Heck if you had to watch some seriously poor baseball over the past decade I think most of us would as well. Heck once late August and Sept start I have OSU football and the Bengals starting up, Marty finds himself watching the Reds and Pirates play a poor, meaningless baseball game.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Excuse you but Marty loved Adam Dunn and I remember his glowing praise of him during many games. I'll not sit by while you spout your dirty revisionist history. I will kill the crap out of you in MW2.
    any time big boy

It's nice to see all this young talent but really 2010 doesn't look like "our year". Truthfully, I think I'll be more excited next March. Having these young players in camp is exciting so we can "open the packages and see what we've got".

It sure beats Spring Training of year's past when we knew what we had because they were major league retreads like Jimmy Haynes, Joey Hamilton, Russell Branyan and Jim Brower

Turn Off Ads?