Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harang to start opening day

Harang to start opening day

C. Trent

Baker says #Reds rotation will be Harang, Cueto, Arroyo, Bailey and 5th guy

Nothing earth shattering here. Hopefully Arroyo and Bailey can pick up where he left off last year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Harang to start opening day

No, nothing earth shattering. But, am I the only one who gets bothered by Arroyo saying he doesn't want to pitch on opening day because of all the hoopla?
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

That is fine, but i really thought Arroyo and bailey jumped Cueto in performance last year. Next year Homer will be our opening day starter. He will be the most consistent, dependable starter on our roster. Mark it down.

I would love for Arroyo to be bothered by some playoff hoopla in 2010. But, to answer the question, no it doesn't bother me at all.

Arroyo also said he didn't want to pitch during the day. Wear sunglasses and get over it. Either you can pitch or you can't.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

A brief glance back at Arroyo's records shows that he has been pretty much a workhorse for the Reds. In his four seasons in Cincinnati he has made at least 33 starts and pitched at least 200 innings each year. If you were to place a wager on which pitcher would make the most starts and pitch the most innings for the Reds in 2010 the smart money would be on Bronson. If he wants to sit out Opening Day and watch the festivities so be it. It's a six-month marathon and nobody will remember who is in first place after Opening Day.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    Arroyo also said he didn't want to pitch during the day. Wear sunglasses and get over it. Either you can pitch or you can't.

I guess my intuition tells me to put people in spots where they think they'll be successful.

My hope is that Harang rebounds and can help our rotation be the strength of the team. That was if they are in contention he can be a leader of the staff and if they aren't he will be a tradeable commodity.

Prob as much to show still have confidence in him, help him with his own confidence heading into the season, relax and do what you do...
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

Arroyo historically does not pitch well during day games - and this is likely putting it VERY lightly.

If you read the quote, he never said he didn't want it, but that he'd prefer to be #2 or #3. I think that is also a respect thing to Harang. He also said Harang is the more consistent pitcher and deserves the start.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

I understand he pitches horribly in day games. I'm just saying he shouldn't. It's ridiculous.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by Redsfan320 View Post
    I understand he pitches horribly in day games. I'm just saying he shouldn't. It's ridiculous.

Maybe. Maybe not. There might be some actually plausible reason as to why he pitches much better at night. I'll bet it has something to do with the amount of rest, etc. Maybe. Who cares. It appears to be a trend, so it is wise to actually avoid it if possible.

AND, did anyone miss this Dusty Quote:
    Baker also said he doesn’t plan to pitch Harang and Arroyo back-to-back in the rotation. Because they can be relied on to pitch deep into games, he thinks splitting them up will make sure his bullpen isn’t overworked.

“If you have the two together and the others don’t give you innings, then you have to use up your ‘pen,” Baker said.

WHO says Bakermetrics don't get it right sometimes!!

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    AND, did anyone miss this Dusty Quote:
    Baker also said he doesn’t plan to pitch Harang and Arroyo back-to-back in the rotation. Because they can be relied on to pitch deep into games, he thinks splitting them up will make sure his bullpen isn’t overworked.

“If you have the two together and the others don’t give you innings, then you have to use up your ‘pen,” Baker said.
    Kudos for this....smart move by Dusty. I've thought they should have done this in the past.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

If your bottom three starters aren't giving you innings does it really matter how fresh you bullpen is? Especially with this "three runs and a cloud of dust" offense?

And another thing, wouldn't it be most logical to stick your #5 starter in between Harang and Arroyo since that is the pitcher most likely to get blown out of the water early?
    Last edited by texasdave; 03-03-2010 at 03:54 PM.

Ugh, Harang again. I guess they want to get him an early start on his 16 losses. He can't pitch with Carpenter, and won't be able to match up with other #1's all season.
    Last edited by mroby85; 03-03-2010 at 06:27 PM.

Turn Off Ads?