Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Official Scouting Report Image

Official Scouting Report Image

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/2tMMvF...report.jpg/r:t

Not sure if the image will show up in the thread, so I provided the length as well. Not a whole lot to discuss here, but I thought this would be interesting to share. I've never seen an MLB scouting report, and found this information fascinating. I can't fathom Dusty trying to process this kind of information.

Wish us normal folk had access to this type of info!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Official Scouting Report Image

Very cool.

BTW...Dusty's not stupid and has been in professional baseball for almost 40 years. I see no reason why he would have any problem with sort of basic info.
    School's out. What did you expect?

(I can't get image to work either)

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Very cool.

BTW...Dusty's not stupid and has been in professional baseball for almost 40 years. I see no reason why he would have any problem with sort of basic info.
    Not accusing Dusty of being stupid, but he's openly stated a dislike for statistics, and that image shows a LOT of numbers. He seems like more of a feel guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Not accusing Dusty of being stupid, but he's openly stated a dislike for statistics, and that image shows a LOT of numbers. He seems like more of a feel guy.
    I don't recall him ever saying that and if he did I'm sure it was in reference to advanced statistics, not BA.

I've never seen one either and thanks for that. Pretty doggone cool!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

No real advanced metrics, though -- just averages in various parts of the hitting zone and some swing % numbers.

For anyone who has been in baseball for any length of time, this would probably be akin to reading a Little Golden Book.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    I don't recall him ever saying that and if he did I'm sure it was in reference to advanced statistics, not BA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    No real advanced metrics, though -- just averages in various parts of the hitting zone and some swing % numbers.

For anyone who has been in baseball for any length of time, this would probably be akin to reading a Little Golden Book.
    What I mean to say is, in a late game situation, I think Dusty is much more likely to go with a "feel" play, than to flip open a book to see what types of pitches a hitter struggles against.

Let's say for instance that Geovany Soto has poor splits against soft tossing lefties, and struggles on changeups away. IMO, it is much more likely that Dusty would send Masset out to face him than DRH, even if DRH is tecnnically a better matchup against Soto. I think Dusty would go with the righty vs. righty instead of look more in depth.

Of course, this is a hypothetical that can never be proven, but it's just my opinion.

What I mean to say is, in a late game situation, I think Dusty is much more likely to go with a "feel" play, than to flip open a book to see what types of pitches a hitter struggles against.

Let's say for instance that Geovany Soto has poor splits against soft tossing lefties, and struggles on changeups away. IMO, it is much more likely that Dusty would send Masset out to face him than DRH, even if DRH is tecnnically a better matchup against Soto. I think Dusty would go with the righty vs. righty instead of look more in depth.

Of course, this is a hypothetical that can never be proven, but it's just my opinion.
    I think you tend to (as many do on RZ) to sell Baker short. The man isn't stupid and, as noted, he's been around baseball for a very long time. You might be right that he might tend for the simple "righty vs. right," and, like many a manager before him, he might out think himself, but he's never struck me as being unaware of how players match up against each other (even if he, like any human being, is going to make a poor decision from time to time).
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

I really don't think there was anything advanced about the scouting report. I really think that was your basic scouting report that teams use. I don't think Dusty would discard something like that.

Less concerned with Dusty's understanding of these reports than I am Bryan Price's, with regards to formulating pitching approach and game plans.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I can make these in my mom's basement these days. I am sure teams all use them as well. Of course conventional wisdom is always going to get in the way of certain things. Cordero is going to pitch the 9th and Masset likely the 8th. Someone's weaknesses probably aren't going to change that for any manager even if the data suggests it should.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think you tend to (as many do on RZ) to sell Baker short. The man isn't stupid and, as noted, he's been around baseball for a very long time. You might be right that he might tend for the simple "righty vs. right," and, like many a manager before him, he might out think himself, but he's never struck me as being unaware of how players match up against each other (even if he, like any human being, is going to make a poor decision from time to time).
    There have been too many instances where Dusty has made a decision that makes no statistical sense, then "Dustified" it by using extreme (what I believe RMR calls) statistical bias, choosing some stat to support his claim while ignoring several other stats that prove otherwise.

The only one I can think of off the top of my head was when he let Corey Patterson hit in the 9th innings against a lefty in the 9th inning, then later claimed it was because he was hitting lefties better than he was hitting righties, only to have that be not true at all.

An RZ member has a signature that quotes Dusty basically dismissing Willy T's on base percentage, and using a made up stat called in-scoring position percentage.

I will give Dusty some benefit of the doubt that some of these quotes may just be coach speak, but there have been far too many quotes from him that have led me to believe that Dusty sees what he wants to see, and trusts his instincts more than the numbers.

I think you tend to (as many do on RZ) to sell Baker short.
    It's the gas that keeps some folks baseball engine running.

My take is Dusty Baker has forgotten more about baseball than anyone on this board knows at this day and time.

nertz. i got it to preview...

nevermind, figured it out.
    Last edited by TRF; 03-03-2010 at 04:18 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Turn Off Ads?