Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Baseball Prospectus Top 101 prospects - and a shocker

Re: Baseball Prospectus Top 101 prospects - and a shocker

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I will walk from St. Louis to Cincinnati if I'm wrong about this.
    Given that your entire post suggests that you don't believe in objective truth, only subjective, I find it hard to believe you could ever admit to being wrong about it regardless of whatever evidence was presented to refute your assertion.

As for facts, they surely can be misinterpreted or used improperly to arrive at an incorrect conclusion, but there are verifiable facts. And if you start to put some definitions around your assertions before playing out the argument to its conclusion (e.g. what defines a clutch opportunity? what is coming through? etc), you could get to a place where even you would feel comfortable about what the data says. But to get to that point, you have to be willing to accept that personal observation is an inherently biased, unverifiable experience and, while useful in certain cases, usually not a reliable way to make comparisons of long term events with many, many individual observations.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-07-2010 at 01:02 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Good God, who cares? Nobody comes here for a class in epistemology. Kingsport compared Alonso to Jack Clark. You gusy don't like that. Great! All this could be accomplished in like, 2 lines.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Good God, who cares? Nobody comes here for a class in epistemology. Kingsport compared Alonso to Jack Clark. You gusy don't like that. Great! All this could be accomplished in like, 2 lines.
    ....And cerebral failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Facts are often misleading. Thus, there was no reason to try to use them. I never even bothered to look it up, as it didn't matter. I know what I saw over Jack Clark's career. I don't need any stats to verify it or dispute it, even if it was possible to do it. I suppose one could look up what his stats were when he had an at-bat when he represented the tying or go-ahead run, or there was a man on base who represented the tying or go-ahead run. And then compare that to all of the other times he was at bat. But, I don't want to take 25 hours to figure that out.

It is an opinion, but my opinion is a good one on this. I try to only comment on players that I know "extremely" well. Jack Clark "delivered"....a lot more often than Tony Perez ever did in the clutch (compared to the players that Perez had around him Offensively) and he was known as Mr. Clutch. Jack Clark had abysmal Offensive players around him, yet he delivered time and time again when it mattered....when it tied the game or put his team ahead. That's the truest definition of what I'm talking about. Yonder Alonso is the EXACT same type of player.

You can have your opinion. I just know that mine is 100% correct on this matter. There's not a chance in Hades that I'm wrong about this.

I will walk from St. Louis to Cincinnati if I'm wrong about this.
    "Oh, I'm exhausted. I've been on this street a thousand times. It's never looked so strange. The faces...so cold. In the distance a child is crying...fatherless...a bastard child, perhaps. My back aches, my heart aches, but my feet...my feet are resilient! Thank God I took off my boots and put on my Himalayan walking shoes!"
    Last edited by AtomicDumpling; 03-07-2010 at 09:49 PM.

Turn Off Ads?