Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 125

Thread: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

  1. #106
    SERP Emeritus paintmered's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Cbus
    Posts
    7,054

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    How much money do you need, Boss? You may have more luck by coming out and saying, "This site costs $1200 (or whatever it is) annually to operate. We currently have $X raised."

    I could have contributed much more than I have over the years if the financials were a bit more transparent.
    What if this wasn't a rhetorical question?

    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #107
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077
    Paint,

    Thanks for the offer but that model is definitely not one that GIK and I want to go back to. In short, it's not fair for a tiny portion of the site to subsidize the costs for everyone. People are still free to donate but going back to that model as the primary way to pay the bills is not something we are going to do.

    Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    How much money do you need, Boss? You may have more luck by coming out and saying, "This site costs $1200 (or whatever it is) annually to operate. We currently have $X raised."

    I could have contributed much more than I have over the years if the financials were a bit more transparent.

  4. #108
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,849

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    That is an option as well...thanks for the feedback. It would of course mean we would have to issue prorated refunds to existing subscribers if we decide to do that, but it's something to consider. Thanks again.
    That's true, but you could offer to just extend the membership longer for those that would have paid more and I think most people would be receptive of that.

  5. #109
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Guelph, ON
    Posts
    16,181

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    For those suggesting alternative layouts, consider that the most "effective" ads tend to be those which are most disruptive to the consumption of content, almost by definition. Ask them to be less intrusive is essentially asking them to be less effective.

    I don't see the ads, but it does sound like perhaps there's an opportunity to put 2 or 3 ads side by side rather than a single center justified one without taking up any additional real estate. Perhaps that would increase overall click rate?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

  6. #110
    Member redsfandan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    3,609

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    For those suggesting alternative layouts, consider that the most "effective" ads tend to be those which are most disruptive to the consumption of content, almost by definition. Ask them to be less intrusive is essentially asking them to be less effective.
    Except that intrusive ads are the bane of the internet. If they result in members visiting the site less often then that would limit how effective the ads would be. People spending less time on the site would result in the ads getting less hits. The decision has already been made to go with ads. And it's not like RedsZone has the floating ads that everyone loves. But, imo, it's a matter of finding a balance between finding the right layout that includes the ads so RedsZone can be self-supporting and worth the time and energy put into it and not having the ads be too intrusive (and detract from the site).
    Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I don't see the ads, but it does sound like perhaps there's an opportunity to put 2 or 3 ads side by side rather than a single center justified one without taking up any additional real estate. Perhaps that would increase overall click rate?
    Log out sometime and take a look around. I think finding just the right way to do things can be tricky. Taking advantage of the white space that's already on the site would help though. I already mentioned the white space at the top of the page next to the RedsZone logo. Heck, while I'm writing this post there's white space that's to the left of this box that could be used.

    Anyway, I'm just throwing my $.02 out there. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to find the right setup but good luck with it.
    Last edited by redsfandan; 11-15-2010 at 07:30 AM.
    "Now that's a real shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."

  7. #111
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077
    Our goal is not to be as intrusive as possible; however, while the old ad layout may have been user friendly, it did not generate nearly enough revenue. I appreciate the input you and everyone has provided so far, but as I mentioned, the header area to the left and/or right of the forum logo is not an effective place to place an ad based on everything I've read on the subject. We need to find a happy medium between layouts that do not detract from the user experience and layouts that produce sufficient revenue for the site. That's going to take some time to experiment to find which ads are the most effective without being overly intrusive.

    Quote Originally Posted by redsfandan View Post
    Except that intrusive ads are the bane of the internet. If they result in members visiting the site less often then that would limit how effective the ads would be. People spending less time on the site would result in the ads getting less hits. The decision has already been made to go with ads. And it's not like RedsZone has the floating ads that everyone loves. But, imo, it's a matter of finding a balance between finding the right layout that includes the ads so RedsZone can be self-supporting and worth the time and energy put into it and not having the ads be too intrusive (and detract from the site).

    Log out sometime and take a look around. I think finding just the right way to do things can be tricky. Taking advantage of the white space that's already on the site would help though. I already mentioned the white space at the top of the page next to the RedsZone logo. Heck, while I'm writing this post there's white space that's to the left of this box that could be used.

    Anyway, I'm just throwing my $.02 out there. Hopefully it doesn't take too long to find the right setup but good luck with it.

  8. #112
    Viva la Rolen kaldaniels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    8,185

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    Do you get revenue on an ad click....or does there have to be a transaction.?

  9. #113
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077
    We receive revenue based on a number of factors, including number of ad impressions and clicks.

    Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Do you get revenue on an ad click....or does there have to be a transaction.?

  10. #114
    Member Sea Ray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    15,629

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    I do consider these ads intrusive but it's a minor inconvenience. It's a hassle to have to hit a down button or whatever immediately, everytime you load a page but I understand the need to pay the bills. If these ads bring in more revenue then I would understand why it has to be that way

  11. #115
    GR8NESS WMR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Posts
    16,960

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    I click on the RZ ones to be allowed every now and then to help out the site...

    I'm just amazed in this day and age of internet browsers that anyone allows intrusive ads or pop-ups to muck up their internet experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Calipari is not, nor has he ever been accused or "caught", cheating. He himself turned in one of his players (Camby) for dealing with an agent to get one Final Four overturned. The other is all on the NCAA and Rose. (IF Rose cheated.)
    "Cheering for Kentucky is like watching Star Wars and hoping Darth Vader chokes an ewok"


  12. #116
    Administrator Boss-Hog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    6,077

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    I have changed the 'after first post' ad type from a medium rectangle to a leaderboard (banner). The other two ad placements are unchanged. To me, this type of ad works much better with the existing site layout, so we'll see how this change affects revenue.

  13. #117
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,999

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    I have changed the 'after first post' ad type from a medium rectangle to a leaderboard (banner). The other two ad placements are unchanged. To me, this type of ad works much better with the existing site layout, so we'll see how this change affects revenue.
    Boss, I think this is a bunch of whining by people. I'm here for the content of the site and when a thread is good I'm scrolling down the page as I read anyway. The ads don't intrude on that one bit. If this were a sight where we come to see videos or look at pictures it might be different, but we're mainly reading and posting. The ads don't pop-up and don't lock up my computer so they really don't interfere. They don't effect posting at all and navigating around an ad to read is no different than doing so in a magazine or newspaper.

    People, if you hate it that much, then make it stop with a donation. I don't see the need to make such a fuss. As far as I'm concerned, if it brings in more cash, make 'em bigger and uglier.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  14. #118
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    132

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Boss, I think this is a bunch of whining by people. I'm here for the content of the site and when a thread is good I'm scrolling down the page as I read anyway. The ads don't intrude on that one bit. If this were a sight where we come to see videos or look at pictures it might be different, but we're mainly reading and posting. The ads don't pop-up and don't lock up my computer so they really don't interfere. They don't effect posting at all and navigating around an ad to read is no different than doing so in a magazine or newspaper.

    People, if you hate it that much, then make it stop with a donation. I don't see the need to make such a fuss. As far as I'm concerned, if it brings in more cash, make 'em bigger and uglier.
    Glad someone said it! Can't agree more!

  15. #119
    Vavasor TRF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Amarillo, TX
    Posts
    13,837

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    I thought RZ needed ads years ago. I know how hard you tried to keep from going in this direction, but it was the right move. I do prefer the ads inline with the contens as opposed to along the left or right hand side, too easily ignored. I don't think a banner ad at the top would hurt, and in fact while it would be the least visited ad, it would fill some blank space.

    I'd also consider lowering the membership to $10. $30 is a lot these days for a lot of people. I wish I had money to subscribe, but 2 kids in college and one in dance school, well a second job may be forthcoming. If by lowering the cost to a more palatable $10 brings 4 times as many subscribers, you come out ahead. Just a thought.
    Suck it up cupcake.

  16. #120
    Administrator GIK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Posts
    4,056

    Re: Changes to RedsZone's Donation System / Ads

    FYI, the subscription special of $10 off (http://www.redszone.com/forums/annou....php?f=31&a=27) is running through 4/23/2012.

    Thanks!


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25