• Juan Francisco

15 27.78%
  • Chris Valaika

4 7.41%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who will have the best overall season at AAA

Who will have the best overall season at AAA

yep another poll.

And you have to explain your answer. This is one of the more talented AAA teams the Reds have had in a very long time. I used the word overall for a reason. You have to take defense into account.
    Last edited by TRF; 03-04-2010 at 11:00 AM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Who will have the best overall season at AAA

I posted before I read that you have to take defense into account, so I went with JF. If I could re-do I'd probably go with Frazier. I'm predicted a come-down season from Heisey.

Oh, and my choice is... Chris Valaika. He always seems to do better when he repeats a level. He's got a .900+ OPS bat in him, plays defense solid enough to at least be considered at SS, although he's likely now a 2B for life. And he seems humbled by last year. I think he could explode at the plate to the tune of .290 .360 .450, with the SLG potentially higher than that. He can hit, and play plus defense at 2B. breakout/comeback year for Valaika.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Oh, and my choice is... Chris Valaika. He always seems to do better when he repeats a level. He's got a .900+ OPS bat in him, plays defense solid enough to at least be considered at SS, although he's likely now a 2B for life. And he seems humbled by last year. I think he could explode at the plate to the tune of .290 .360 .450, with the SLG potentially higher than that. He can hit, and play plus defense at 2B. breakout/comeback year for Valaika.
    Sadly I don't think much of Valakia anymore. I think he is maxed out as a utility player and if Frazier plays 2b at AAA I don't see Valakia as anything more than a tradeable piece.

I think Frazier will have the best season. I think he forces himself onto the big league club by June.

I doubt Frazier is at 2B for more than a handful of games. Valaika's 2009 season was marred by a dumb injury, broken hand. He's healthy now. I see no reason he won't OPS at least .830, maybe better.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I doubt Frazier is at 2B for more than a handful of games. Valaika's 2009 season was marred by a dumb injury, broken hand. He's healthy now. I see no reason he won't OPS at least .830, maybe better.
    Maybe. I thought last season the Reds talked about Frazier at 2b, but I could be wrong. I think Frazier's bat will dictate that he deserves to be called up. Barring an early injury (see Rolen) I think Frazier will work primarily in LF. But I also think the Reds may look at moving Phillips in the near future. Not because he isn't a good ball player, but because I think Frazier can be as productive overall as Phillips and cheaper.

Alonso

They mentioned him at 2B. and the reports weren't too good then. I doubt the Reds push it though if Valaika is healthy. No reason for Frazier to be learning 2B, when 3B and LF seem to be a clearer path to the Reds. As for the Drazier/BP comp, I'm not so sure. BP is near elite defensively. Frazier will never be that at 2B. Offensively? Frazier is likely better, so i see it as a wash. He would be cheaper though. But I'd rather the better defender play 2B, especially since LF or 3B seem to be available in 2011.
    Last edited by TRF; 03-04-2010 at 12:48 PM.

Taking defense into account, the pretty easy choice is Heisey... Actually, taking defense into account, it's a no freaking brainer...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Valaika is my pick as well. He's going to score a ton of runs and see a crapload of fastballs, simply because of who's behind him in the lineup. He's also got some power and a history of success. He's moving down the defensive spectrum and should play well at the keystone spot. There may soon be an opening at the major league level, so that should keep him working hard. He's had the poor year before, so he has experience at reinventing himself, so to speak, at the minor league level and the confidence that he can do it well.

Frazier will get called up and play the I-71 shuffle game with every regular injury, IMO, which will hinder his numbers. Same thing for Francisco (and Rolen's eventual DL trip(s)). Alonso and Cozart-- meh, I'm not convinced. Yonder may need some time to find his bat and he has to absolutely mash because he's a first baseman. Decent bats don't play at first. Cozart had his first good offensive season last year; show me more, young man. Dorn can't play RF well enough, though it wouldn't suprise me to see him OPS 900 at AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Valaika is my pick as well. He's going to score a ton of runs and see a crapload of fastballs, simply because of who's behind him in the lineup. He's also got some power and a history of success. He's moving down the defensive spectrum and should play well at the keystone spot. There may soon be an opening at the major league level, so that should keep him working hard. He's had the poor year before, so he has experience at reinventing himself, so to speak, at the minor league level and the confidence that he can do it well.

Frazier will get called up and play the I-71 shuffle game with every regular injury, IMO, which will hinder his numbers. Same thing for Francisco (and Rolen's eventual DL trip(s)). Alonso and Cozart-- meh, I'm not convinced. Yonder may need some time to find his bat and he has to absolutely mash because he's a first baseman. Decent bats don't play at first. Cozart had his first good offensive season last year; show me more, young man. Dorn can't play RF well enough, though it wouldn't suprise me to see him OPS 900 at AAA.
    Scrap, then vote for Valaika, he's getting no love in the poll

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Alonso. He will hit better than everyone else and only Frazier will be close enough to put up a fight.

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    Taking defense into account, the pretty easy choice is Heisey... Actually, taking defense into account, it's a no freaking brainer...
    Not to mention base running, I am gonna agree on Heisey.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'll go with Heisey because I sense he might be just beginning to figure out how good he can be. And because Frazier might disqualify himself by spending too much time in Cincinnati. And because Francisco's defense might hold him back just a bit (in spite of the Gold Glove he won in the Dominican Winter League). And because I'm still in the show-me state with Alonso.

Francisco had 99 plate appearances at AAA last year and was a dominant hitter. He had a .982 OPS, 5 homers and 19 RBIs in that short stint. He then moved up to Cincy, did well, and won the Dominican League MVP.

I can see folks questioning JF's ability to master major league pitching. At AAA, though, I expect further dominant hitting.

Also think his fielding will improve such that he easily should win this poll.

Turn Off Ads?