Turn Off Ads?
Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1925262728293031 LastLast

Thread: More positive reaction on Chapman

Re: More positive reaction on Chapman

Red Reporter's account from the game:

Chapman was everything you've heard: Fastball topped out at 101, slider was nasty, control wasn't pinpoint, doesn't look like he's throwing that hard.

Fastball - 97+ all day long. It seemed, though, that he had much better command at the lower end of that range. Most impressive was the strikeout on pitches of 79/81/100 mph - the hitter never had a chance on any of the three.

Slider - 88-91, usually for a strike. Made many grown men look like little girls.
    •Chris Valaika did Chapman no favors. Toledo's first hit (in the 2nd inning) was on a shot deep down the line where his throw pulled Dorn off the bag at 1st, though it was scored a hit (could have gone either way). In the same inning, a one-hopper off his shoulder was (very, very) generously ruled a hit, loading the bases before a routine grounder ended the threat. In the 5th, he threw a ball away, and the runner ended up being Toledo's only run. Later, another routine grounder completely ate him up, and was scored a hit. Very EdE like day.
    read the rest here:
    http://www.redreporter.com/2010/4/11...most-important

2. Turn Off Ads?

That reporter's account is pretty much exactly what I saw.

I will add that LH hitters have no chance against this guy

I got this excerpt from CBS Sportsline:

Chapman posted a 1.69 ERA and struck out 15 batters in 12 2/3 innings this spring, causing some people to believe the Cuban defector should already be in the big leagues. But former major-league Larry Parrish, who manages the Mud Hens, understands why the Reds sent him down. "He wasn't J.R. Richard or Nolan Ryan out there," Parrish said. "Today, he walked one. In the big leagues, he would've walked eight."
    I'm not sure I understand what this means. Is Parrish saying that major league umpires have smaller strike zones or that major league players would not offer at Chapman's stuff? Does he know what he's talking about?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I'm guessing he meant that major league hitters are more selective.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I got this excerpt from CBS Sportsline:

I'm not sure I understand what this means. Is Parrish saying that major league umpires have smaller strike zones or that major league players would not offer at Chapman's stuff? Does he know what he's talking about?
    I can't speak for him, but I would guess the latter. That fooling minor league hitters is much easier than fooling big leaguers.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I can't speak for him, but I would guess the latter. That fooling minor league hitters is much easier than fooling big leaguers.
    Maybe even fooling hitters on the Mudhens. I think I read that Maloney struck out 7 over 5 in a previous game in the series. That being said, Chapman didn't have his best stuff and he still struck out 9 in just under 5 innings. That's a good thing no matter how you spin it.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Chapman seems a bit like Cueto where he'll go through stretches where he doesn't finish his pitches and will leave stuff high and outside. But if he can stay around the plate, his velocity should allow him to stay effective. Players just don't have enough time to react.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    I'd say both and I think he probably knows a little something.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I will add that LH hitters have no chance against this guy
    Sounds great for GABP then

If you want more than highlights, here is the ESPN3 link... It's the full game.

http://espn.go.com/broadband/espn360...gue%20Baseball
    Last edited by TRF; 04-12-2010 at 10:57 AM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

It could be that he's spouting the line about Chapman--great stuff, poor control.

Doesn't always matter if it's a reality or not; groupthink among scouts solidifies into "fact" pretty quickly.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Chris Valaika did Chapman no favors. Toledo's first hit (in the 2nd inning) was on a shot deep down the line where his throw pulled Dorn off the bag at 1st, though it was scored a hit (could have gone either way).
    That happened to be one of the plays I did see. Chapman shattered that guy's bat and Valaika had to go into foul territory to make the play and he almost got him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    It could be that he's spouting the line about Chapman--great stuff, poor control.

Doesn't always matter if it's a reality or not; groupthink among scouts solidifies into "fact" pretty quickly.
    Also spin on the fact that he stymied his hitters. Blow him off publicly, dismiss him in fact and get your team focused on the next game.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

John Erardi - Reds up in (young) arms

"I really felt good today," he said, speaking through translator Tomas Vera, the Bats trainer. "There were some things that didn't turn out the way I wanted, but that's how games go. I'll be better next time."

Chapman, who said he wasn't nervous, was aware of the anticipation.

"I saw a lot of people wearing red, and I feel really proud that they came down just to watch me pitch," he said.

Was he aware what a big day this was for the Reds organization, with another youngster, Mike Leake, making his professional debut in Cincinnati on Sunday?

"Si," said Chapman, nodding his head and smiling. "Si."
    http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...hurls+missiles

Turn Off Ads?