Turn Off Ads?
Page 31 of 31 FirstFirst ... 212728293031

Thread: More positive reaction on Chapman

Re: More positive reaction on Chapman

If anything, Chapman has regressed over his last few starts in AAA. I have a very hard time believing he will be ready to pitch in the major leagues in June. If he continues on the current trend, I have no problem leaving him in AAA for the entire year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Taking whose spot?

I don't see it, unless Bailey or Cueto start stinking again. And I really don't see Cueto doing that. Bailey.... maybe.
    He said that right now they don't need him with the way the starters are going, but reiterated June. He never said the word, but I get the feeling he meant Bullpen.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Kurkjian on SportsCenter says Chapman will most likely be in Cincinnati in June, probably more toward early June than later.
    Carlos Fisher we hardly knew you.

as to Chapman regressing in AAA its possible he is a bit bored & losing his focus.

meh. talking head speculation. I think there is no chance the Reds keep stretching his pitchcount like they have been just to make him the 6th inning/long reliever.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Cruisin' for trouble

Here lately it seems as though we could use a Crash Davis down in Louisville.

Kurkjian on SportsCenter says Chapman will most likely be in Cincinnati in June, probably more toward early June than later.

If Tim saw his last start I am sure he would move that timetable back. Chapman needs some polish best estimate would be Sept. call up. I doubt we could even use him in the pen as he has a problem getting loose.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Kurkjian has no clue what he's talking about. He's just spouting off to have something to write about. Chapman's not shown anything to prove he's anywhere close to ready yet. He's got a huge velocity fastball. But no control...yet. He needs quite a bit more time IMO. Those walks (and hits & runs) are NOT very impressive. I'd vote to keep him down at Louisville all year long. When we're ready to shut down Leake for the season, Edinson will be coming back and we've also got Maloney and Wood ready to step in. 3 guys who ARE ready for the bigs.

And I don't see the Reds wanting to move Chapman to the bullpen AT ALL. They're developing him as a starter and they'll give him every opportunity to remain a starter.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.

I have been persuaded that the way Chapman breaks into the bigs is in the bullpen. Which I am guessing will happen sometime in June/July. I would love to have the Reds in a position to pick their spots at using Chapman in the pen after he gets to around 100 innings in L'ville.

Quote Originally Posted by KoryMac5 View Post
    If Tim saw his last start I am sure he would move that timetable back. Chapman needs some polish best estimate would be Sept. call up. I doubt we could even use him in the pen as he has a problem getting loose.
    He did mention that he needs "a bit more polish".
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Everyone says he has no control....

He didn't display the control issues in spring training. I don't think he's got near the control problems that some here are making it out to be, even with a few shaky outings. Scouts said in Spring Training he was MLB ready right then, and the best pitcher on the staff then. Were they just shooting their mouths off? I'd say he's just had a few bad outings and I think 9/10 he gets more guys out than Aaron Harang in a given start.

Would love to see him up here but I don't think it will happen this season either.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds View Post
    Here lately it seems as though we could use a Crash Davis down in Louisville.

That is what Corky is there for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Isn't there some concern about the total number of innings Chapman throws, using the 30 innings increase theory? Assuming your watching his total innings, and assuming the major league rotation remains healthy AND pitches like it has over the last 3 weeks, I'd love to see Chapman pick up about 130-140 innings in AAA, then get added to the big league bullpen for another 30 innings in the bigs to prepare him for a 190ish inning workload next season as a full time starter.

If one is allowed to indulge oneself as a Reds fan and believe they're going to be in the race all the way thru september, how nice would it be to go all Tony LaRussa on opponents and bring Chapman in to face a key left hander or 2 in the middle of the 6th throwing 100+ mph heat after watching Arroyo dip and dive in the 80s for the previous 6 innings?

You're killin' me Smalls! StillFunkyB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    That is what Corky is there for.
    Was thinking the same thing! Corky Miller!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post

He didn't display the control issues in spring training. I don't think he's got near the control problems that some here are making it out to be, even with a few shaky outings. Scouts said in Spring Training he was MLB ready right then, and the best pitcher on the staff then. Were they just shooting their mouths off? I'd say he's just had a few bad outings and I think 9/10 he gets more guys out than Aaron Harang in a given start.

Would love to see him up here but I don't think it will happen this season either.
    He's walked 5.4 per 9. That screams control problems.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post

From someone who has charted all of his games but his most recent one... the guy has legit control problems. His K/BB isn't good and its better than his ability to hit his target is. If he comes up today as a starter, he wouldn't make it 5 innings in under 120 pitches every time out.

Turn Off Ads?