Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast

Thread: More positive reaction on Chapman

Re: More positive reaction on Chapman

I was all happy and optimistic about Chapman, Leake and Wood but, everyone keeps telling me in their post that spring training and spring training stats are meaningless, so now what do I do if what these guys are doing in spring training is meaningless? I guess I just have to toss out all the positives because spring training and spring training stats are meaningless.

Or does meaningless spring training results just count for some and not other’s, I am all confused.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-16-2010 at 12:44 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    I was all happy and optimistic about Chapman, Leake and Wood but, everyone keeps telling me in their post that spring training and spring training stats are meaningless, so now what do I do if what these guys are doing in spring training is meaningless? I guess I just have to toss out all the positives because spring training and spring training stats are meaningless.

Or does meaningless spring training results just count for some and not other’s, I am all confused.
    In the grand scheme of things it is meaningless but that's not to say you can't feel good about it. Pete Rose bowling over Ray Fosse in the 1970 All Star game was meaningless but it was sure fun to see.

I like seeing Reds players do well in Spring Training because I think it bodes well for the future but I realize anything can happen. If nothing else, it helps build confidence and may increase a player's value in future trades

For what it's worth, and to pass the time, a former MLB scout named Bernie Pleskoff has been writing observations articles for rotowire this spring from his attending games out in Arizona. He saw the Reds last week, and had this to say about A. Chapman among other observations:

http://www.rotowire.com/baseball/fea...g_notebook.htm

I have been fortunate in my lifetime to have seen Sandy Koufax, Sam McDowell, and Herb Score in their early years and in their prime. I have to swallow hard and write this - Aroldis Chapman is further advanced at this stage of his career than the three dominant lefties named above. He is beyond good. Here's what I saw. The ball just kind of floats out of his huge hands (very large fingers) with no effort. He hit 100 MPH on his FB with no effort. He barely broke a sweat. His release is clean and crisp. His slider and change-up are THAT GOOD. He is slow to home plate from the stretch, but it won't matter because he won't be out of the stretch that much. He has long, loping strides because of his 6'4" frame. If he continues to challenge hitters and keeps the ball down, he will be a Hall Of Fame pitcher, period. The Reds simply have to start him in a warm climate minor league city and let him get used to pitching in America. That shouldn't take long. By the way, left-handed hitters have um, let me see here ... NO CHANCE!
    Last edited by membengal; 03-16-2010 at 05:00 PM.

And, while I generally agree these kind of comps seem over-the-top, I sure do appreciate the early tenor of coverage being these kinds of comparisons as opposed to scouts saying that he has the control of Steve Dalkowski...

Mark Sheldon article on Chapman...

"I feel all the stress I had in the past has gone away," said Chapman, who defected from Cuba during a July tournament in the Netherlands. "I feel really good about myself and I feel good being here."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Chapman starting the 4:00 est game tomorrow against the Brewers. Too bad, as the 10:00 est game is on TV against Cleveland, but for any with MLB audio, they can hear the 4:00 est game.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Bob Feller is a bitter old man who resents the fact that players today (and for the last 40 years) made more money than he did. I think he also resents the fact that he lost time to World War II. While I greatly respect the sacrifice he made in the war, he needs to come to grips with the fact that he wasn't alone in losing productive years to WWII, and in fact he should be grateful that came back at all--let alone in one piece! Thousands of American boys gave their lives at Monte Cassino, Anzio, Normandy, Bastogne, the Ardennes, Pearl Harbor, the Philippines, Iwo Jima, Okinawa, and other places. But Feller always seems to have this attitude that the world owes him something.
    I'm sure Bob was OK making what he did....compared to what the players did in 1880.

I think he was having a GET OFF MY LAWN moment.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post

Spring training stats means very little. Showing skillsets during spring training does indeed mean something.

With all of the young, power arms showing promise it's going to suck when Maloney or Lincoln end up as the 5th starter.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    With all of the young, power arms showing promise it's going to suck when Maloney or Lincoln end up as the 5th starter.
    Maloney having success at the major league level would be a great thing for the Reds. It makes him a much more valuable trade asset.

As for Lincoln, I could see somebody chasing down a reliever offering a PTBNL for a fully-paid Lincoln. If I'm the Reds, I'd gladly take it.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Spring training stats means very little. Showing skillsets during spring training does indeed mean something.
    Makes good sense.

I am just high on the young pitchers looking forward. I think we as fans and the Reds really need them to do well as they progress into the future. I don't really expect them to be in the majors right away, but, I think we have something special in them to look forward to.

I can readily see why the hitting stats don't mean a lot. They are really bloated on the small samples especially the OBP, SLG and OPS. Not sustainable, and the other vets that are low right now will come up.

Jay Bruce is doing really well though, that's encouraging.
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-16-2010 at 11:13 PM.

Skill sets still only show me a little. How is Chapman going to react when he walks a hitter that is right before Pujols? Does he have the mental aptitude at this point to work around that kind of mistake and not get flustered?

I'm also hoping that Cueto can handle that kind of thing better this year. It's no mystery that the biggest fault in his game right now is the mental side of pitching. It's fine and dandy to get all excited about Chapman, I am surely excited. But what happens when he gets into pressure and fails? Is he ready to handle what Cincinnati is known to do to young players?
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

The only time I think spring training stats (or better termed spring training performance because you can actually play very well but not have the ball fall in for you) matter are in the instances where several players are competing for one spot. Like the 5th starters spot for instance. When several players all have viable shots at it...it'll come down to who performs better, or who accomplishes what the coaches want the most effectively. Stats are misleading, especially during spring training because you simply don't know what the coaches are wanting guys to work on or improve on.

So meaningless?...not completely. Heavily over-rated?....definitely.
    Chapman to the rotation!!!! Do it already!!!!

From Fay:

FOSSAS STAYING: Baker said Tony Fossas will stay with the big league club to help acclimate Aroldis Chapman at least through the off day on Tuesday.

“Then Tony has to go back his club (Dayton),” Baker said. “That will give Chapman time without Tony.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...l-split-squad/

Hmmmm. Doesn't sound like they are planning on sending Chapman out anytime soon then. Very interesting. Big start today then.

Turn Off Ads?