Turn Off Ads?
Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: More positive reaction on Chapman

Re: More positive reaction on Chapman

Chapman premiered a sinker/ 2 seamer today
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...h-for-chapman/

Chapman showed the Reds another wrinkle Wednesday.

“He looked outstanding,” Baker said. ’He had a nasty sinker, a two-seamer we didn’t even know he had. He’s slowly but slowly adding to his repertoire of pitches. He’s feeling more confident.”

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    I'll tell what I say...I say send him out on the next train. He gave up a homer! We have high standards and we ain't toleratin' any guy who gives up HRs.

OK, but, Wells is going to have to be sent to the Siberian Winter Leauges, barefoot.

C. Trent article on Chapman:

"I fixed some of the mechanical problems I had and my control is not a problem at this moment," Chapman said through interpreter Tony Fossas. "Staying taller and finishing up my pitches better and not dropping my elbow. I was opening up too much and I've made those corrections."

Just as curious as the hitters are about Chapman, he's still learning the hitters he's facing.
    full article:
    http://cnati.com/spring-training-201...espite-001542/

John Fay asked Jocketty a few Chapman related questions after his start today:

–Could he make the team as a reliever? “That has not been discussed. Probably not.”

–Because qualifying arbitration by 2012 affects his contract, will that be a factor in the decision if he makes the team? “If he’s good enough to make the team, no. We look at that with all our players, but it doesn’t affect the decisions we make.”

–Chapman threw 118 innings last year in Cuba. Will you limit his number of innings because of that? “We haven’t put a number on it. but we’ll watch pitch counts and the stress on his arm. We monitor that with all our pitchers.”
    read the rest here:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-for-jocketty/

Mark Sheldon article:

Most importantly, he was throwing strikes.

"For the most part, I felt really good about the command of my pitches today," Chapman said, with Class A Dayton pitching coach Tony Fossas translating. "Some of them were a little bit away. I threw a lot more sliders and fastballs today. I felt good with it today. There were less changeups."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Hal McCoy - Chapman adapting to life in states, on field

While Chapman is trying to absorb his new culture, he also has fits of loneliness or homesickness.

“Yonder Alonzo’s Cuban mother fixes him food and so does coach Juan “Porky” Lopez,” said Baker. “The other day he wanted some Cuban rice and beans so Lopez (Puerto Rican bullpen coach) fixed some for him.

“But the kid is trying,” Baker added. “A lot of Latins don’t even try to speak English, but he is trying to learn.”
    http://www.foxsportsohio.com/pages/l...96&feedID=4017

Mike Bauman: Chapman living up to the hype

Watching Chapman at work, while sitting behind home plate, there was little doubt that the crowd of 3,561 at Goodyear Ballpark was in on a special occurrence. The bulk of Milwaukee's regulars were in the lineup, a notable exception being first baseman Prince Fielder, who was not on hand to face this left-handed phenom. In one stretch, Chapman struck out five of six hitters and appeared to be nothing less than dominant.

Chapman's delivery is smooth enough that it does not suggest extreme velocity. He is 6-foot-4 and listed at 185 pounds, but he appears even more slender than that. His arms are long, even for his 6-foot-4 frame, and between that length and his velocity, his pitches appear to be in the zone and on the hitter almost instantaneously.
    full article:
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Here is a blurb from CBS Sports on Chapman:

Chapman continues to dominate

Aroldis Chapman, SP CIN
    News: Reds SP Aroldis Chapman, a Cuban defector who signed with the team this offseason, continued to wow onlookers with his third gem in three opportunities Wednesday against the Brewers. He allowed one run on one hit and one walk in three innings, recording five strikeouts. "He had a nasty sinker, a two-seamer we didn't even know he had," manager Dusty Baker told the Cincinnati Enquirer. "He's slowly but surely adding to his repertoire of pitches. He's feeling more confident." Baker wasn't the only one impressed. "He's their best pitcher," a National League scout said. "How can they think about starting him in the minors?"
    Analysis: Chapman was thought to have some control problems when the Reds signed him, but he says he made a mechanical adjustment to eliminate them. His 10 strikeouts compared to two walks this spring sure support his claim. The Reds might still opt to send him to the minors just so he'll have an easier time adjusting culturally, but if he continues to pitch this way, he might force their hand. His ace stuff, including his 100-mph heat, makes him a terrific sleeper in all Fantasy formats.

From Jorge Arangure on twitter

#overratedcontract RT @injuryexpert: Good source reminds me Reds have incentive to send Chapman down - has opt out based on service time

The only reason he would start in the minors is his contract.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think that is true. You start him there to limit his pitches and innings. You can also start him there to ease his transition to the different culture he will be adapting to.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Which is exactly why he should.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I don't think that is true. You start him there to limit his pitches and innings. You can also start him there to ease his transition to the different culture he will be adapting to.
    Crappy weather may be another consideration. I doubt the kid has pitched in temperatures under 50 degrees.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Crappy weather may be another consideration. I doubt the kid has pitched in temperatures under 50 degrees.
    True. It's MUCH warmer is L'ville than Cincy in April.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Because nothing says easing into American culture like Zebulon, NC?

Turn Off Ads?