Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Thread: More positive reaction on Chapman

Re: More positive reaction on Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    From Jorge Arangure on twitter

#overratedcontract RT @injuryexpert: Good source reminds me Reds have incentive to send Chapman down - has opt out based on service time
    But this opt-out wouldn't affect the 6 years that he 'belongs' to the Reds in any way other than monetarily, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Because nothing says easing into American culture like Zebulon, NC?
    The team seems to think the minors would ease the transition more than Cincinnati would.

The team seems to think the minors would ease the transition more than Cincinnati would.
    Based on what exactly? Folks you have talked to?

Because nothing says easing into American culture like Zebulon, NC?
    Well the weather would be better.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    Well the weather would be better.
    Just trying to keep track of all the excuses to send him down.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    But this opt-out wouldn't affect the 6 years that he 'belongs' to the Reds in any way other than monetarily, right?
    I honestly have no idea.

And, if Walt is to be believed from his conversation with Fay as recounted by Fay last night, contract is not an issue in their decision, and all options are on the table at this point.

It's a marathon, not a race.

What's his first milestone for contract purposes?

Based on what exactly? Folks you have talked to?
    Based on stuff I don't know about at all. But that is what just about everyone has said within baseball, and not just with the Reds.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

And, if Walt is to be believed from his conversation with Fay as recounted by Fay last night, contract is not an issue in their decision, and all options are on the table at this point.
    Do you honestly expect Walt to give an answer like: "Well, we know he's a huge talent, but we've gotta think about how much this is going to cost us if he becomes a Super Two down the line."
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Do you honestly expect Walt to give an answer like: "Well, we know he's a huge talent, but we've gotta think about how much this is going to cost us if he becomes a Super Two down the line."
    Nope, but Walt could say, "no matter how good he's looked, we think he needs a few months on the farm, and he's headed there shortly". That's what Washington did with Strasburg. I have been waiting for that from the Reds, and they have not done it. That makes me think they are seriously considering letting him start in Cincy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't know what is my favorite moment in this- if it is the guy selling soda who has them balanced on his head or the kid selling beer who you can read his lips as he says "Cold Beer". (I guess you can hear him too if your speakers are turned on unlike mine). At least one of the changeups his arm speed is noticeably slower. (Chapman's arm speed not the beer kid's)

Based on stuff I don't know about at all. But that is what just about everyone has said within baseball, and not just with the Reds.
    I think a lot of people are just assuming that with less pressure the adjustment will be easier...

I'm really not sure this is the case though... I think the best bet is to surround him with as many latin players as possible and that will help more than whether or not the games mean as much...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    Under no circumstances can he leave as a free agent before 6 yrs unless a new CBA changes the existing rules. If the Reds leave him in the minors for a couple months, it'll become 7 years and he'll be arbitration eligible in 4 yrs rather than 3.

Per cot's:
    Aroldis Chapman lhp
    6 years/$30.25M (2010-15)

• 6 years/$30.25M (2010-15)
    • signed by Cincinnati as an amateur free agent 1/11/10
    • $16.25M signing bonus ($1.5M at signing; $1.5M each Nov. 1, 2010-13; $1.25M each Nov. 1, 2014-20)
    • 10:$1M, 11:$1M, 12:$2M, 13:$2M, 14:$3M, 15:$5M player option
    • Chapman must decide whether to accept or decline 2015 player option within 5 days after end of 2014 World Series
    • if Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2012, $5M is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible
    • if Chapman qualifies for arbitration after 2013, $3M is converted to a bonus and he becomes arbitration-eligible
  17. defected from Cuba to Netherlands 7/1/09
  18. agent: Rodney Fernandez, Hendricks Sports
  19. ML service: 0.000
So basically, whenever he becomes arb eligible, the rest of his contract gets converted to a bonus and he becomes arb eligible. I'm not sure how this would impact his 2015 player option. But if the option is still in play in 2015 and he turns it down, he would still be under Reds control and eligible for arbitration as it would be his 6th year with the Reds. It's possible, if he were to spend significant time in the minors, that his 3 year arb period would carry him in to 2016.

The big risk here is not the conversation of the salary to the bonus, but that if he's good enough to be arb eligible, he's going to get PAID.
Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.
Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast