Turn Off Ads?
Page 9 of 31 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: More positive reaction on Chapman

Re: More positive reaction on Chapman

I peeked ahead at tomorrow, and the Reds/Dodgers game is going to be available on mlb.com/audio with mlb.com announcers. Looks like it may be available on MLB TV as well for those that can access that. Might be worth a spin around the DirecTV dials tonite looking for a channel called PRIM on the mlb tv guide.

2. Turn Off Ads?

When is Chapman supposed to pitch tomorrow? Any idea on the tentative rotation?
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Quote Originally Posted by REDblooded View Post
    When is Chapman supposed to pitch tomorrow? Any idea on the tentative rotation?
    * Tomorrow's pitchers: Bronson Arroyo, Micah Owings, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Fisher and Francisco Cordero.

Chapman is scheduled to throw on March 17, too, when the Reds have a day-night doubleheader

http://cnati.com/blogs/ctrent/2010/0...loud-31110.php

Appreciate it... I have a buddy that's an amazing professional sports photographer and he's gonna try to get some sweet pics tomorrow... Has an assignment to get some Griffey pics first though, but those parks are only 15 minutes apart...

To give you an idea on some of his work...

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/?p=3406

http://markjrebilas.com/blog/?p=7461
    Last edited by REDblooded; 03-11-2010 at 05:42 PM.
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

No half measures, Walter RedEye's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From Jason Grey of ESPN:

Not joking: a veteran scout told me today he actually considered using the phrase "Cooperstown-worthy" on his Chapman report

http://twitter.com/Jason_Grey
    Heck, maybe he should just retire right now!
    "I’ll kind of have a foot on the back of my own butt. That’s just how I do things.” -- Bryan Price, 10/22/2013

i was trying to think of the last time i thought that the Reds had a truly dominant young star. not just a good or very good player but the kind of guy mentioned with the best in baseball. it was Eric Davis (before the injuries started affecting him)

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    i was trying to think of the last time i thought that the Reds had a truly dominant young star. not just a good or very good player but the kind of guy mentioned with the best in baseball. it was Eric Davis (before the injuries started affecting him)
    How about Barry Larkin? Multiple Gold Gloves, an MVP award, numerous All-Star appearances. Probably not the best player in the game but top 5-10.

I think Jay Bruce has a chance to be that type of player.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    How about Barry Larkin? Multiple Gold Gloves, an MVP award, numerous All-Star appearances. Probably not the best player in the game but top 5-10.

I think Jay Bruce has a chance to be that type of player.
    Barry Larkin seemed to fly under the radar without much media hype.

The media named Eric Davis "The Next Willy Mays" they proclaimed Ken Griffey Jr, would lead the Reds to multiple World Championships.

When Davis and Griffey Jr. failed to live up to those expectations (for what ever reasons) the local media and Fans turned on them.

I honestly believe too much media hype can do more harm than good to most of these Kids.

I thought Jose Rijo was the 2nd-best pitcher in the NL (after Maddux) for a few years.

To reiterate, DirecTV folks with the sports channel package should check channel 694 for the game at 3:00 est.

Haunted by walks

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    "To Johnny Bench -- a sure Hall of Famer" -- Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    "To Johnny Bench -- a sure Hall of Famer" -- Ted Williams
    It's funny you posted this because the question sent me off looking through Google's News Archives and found this piece from 1968:

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id...ny+bench&hl=en

I also found an article from the Montreal Gazette from when Frank Robinson was traded and another about Robinson and Mantle being up for post season awards in 1956. Fascinating stuff, but I need to drag myself out of that and get to work!
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things, that's Rallyonion.com

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Dusty Baker on Chapman (from Fay):

“The main this is we’re trying to let him be himself. I’ve talked to him about some things, family, Cuban baseball, religion. But we got him to pitch. We’ve got to keep on the rotation and see how he does. See how he is. We don’t really know what we have. Everyone is getting ahead of themselves.”
    follow the link for the rest:
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...-on-chapman-2/

Another impressive outing today by Chapman. His line was: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K. Both hits were infield singles. For those who didn't see it, here's how it went batter by batter.

First inning of work:

Jason Repko - Weak popout to Alonso in foul territory
    Ivan De Jesus - Infield single to Miles at 2B
    Rafael Furcal - infield single to 3B, could have been ruled an error
    Pickoff at first base by Ramon Hernandez
    Weak lineout to 1B as Ausmus just threw the bat at the ball.

Second inning of work:

Andre Ethier - weak popout to Castillo in foul ground at 3B
    Matt Kemp - struckout swinging on a slider
    Casey Blake - struckout looking on a changeup on the outside corner

After his outing on Monday, Chapman said he normally starts off slow in the first inning and gets stronger as the game goes on. That's what happened today. He didn't have his best command of his secondary pitches in the first inning but everything was crisp in the second inning. Almost everything he threw in the second inning was right around the plate. He's very impressive. Easy, easy gas.

Also forgot to add that he threw a wicked unhittable slider to Casey Blake on 1-1.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 03-12-2010 at 05:18 PM.

The strikeout of Blake apparently came on an 83 mph change. Which doesn't seem entirely fair.

The K of Kemp was on a 90 mph slider.

Turn Off Ads?