Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: John Fay On Brandon Phillips

John Fay On Brandon Phillips

This morning's Enquirer has a somewhat scathing article on how Brandon Phillips refused an interview request from John Fay last week because as Phillips put it "I've been around here a week and now you're gonna try to talk to me?"

Fay went on to write:

...the larger issue here is why Phillips wouldn't talk to me. It was because he wasn't one of the first three position players I wrote about.
    Fay goes on to speculate that Phillips is building a list of reasons why the Reds may be willing to part with him in the future and that's why folks like Frazier and Valaika are seeing increased time at 2nd base.

Phillips resume now includes this incident in addition to:

--not running out a fly ball on July 21, 2009

--Ignoring a take sign on a 3-0 pitch vs KC on June 14, 2009

--Saying on Aug 31 that he had a broken bone in his wrist only to say the following day that it was merely a bruise

Phillips can accept interviews at his own discretion but he invites criticism like this article when he does. I have to question his judgement in choosing to do this in early Spring Training.

Lack of leadership is a huge reason why they splurged and brought in Scott Roolen and maybe to a lesser extent Orlando Cabrera.

I thought this was a very well balanced article written by Fay.

Incidently you won't find this article on line until tomorrow. The Enquirer is making an effort to make certain stories exclusive only to print customers and this policy probably deserves a thread of its own.
    Last edited by Sea Ray; 03-07-2010 at 03:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fay On Brandon Phillips

I know that Phillips refused to talk to C. Trent for awhile a few years ago, for very similar reasons. They made up and are fine terms now. I assume the same will happen eventually with BP and Fay.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Phillips continues to demonstrate his immaturity. I absolutely believe that Jocketty is not the type of GM who will pander to that. If the Reds are out of it this summer and the trade talks heat up, Phillips will be right there with Harang and Arroyo.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Brandon Phillips out, Brandon Webb in. Better way to spend 11.5 next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I know that Phillips refused to talk to C. Trent for awhile a few years ago, for very similar reasons. They made up and are fine terms now. I assume the same will happen eventually with BP and Fay.
    I don't give a flying leap whether Fay and Phillips make up. That's between the two of them. As a Reds fan I care about who will be on the field and if incidents like this don't sit well with management I may be looking at a new 2B playing for my favorite team

Yawn. That's SUCH a horrible resume there.

The guy isn't perfect and I'd agree he has some maturity/ego issues, but it's not so bad I would be trying to get rid of the guy. If the Reds do try to get rid of him, let's hope it's because they have a better solution in place.

Besides that, isn't Dusty's biggest strength he's good with the players? Shouldn't he be working to fix this?

I don't know if I'd want to talk to Fay either. He's the Eric Milton of sportswriters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Yawn. That's SUCH a horrible resume there.

The guy isn't perfect and I'd agree he has some maturity/ego issues, but it's not so bad I would be trying to get rid of the guy. If the Reds do try to get rid of him, let's hope it's because they have a better solution in place.

Besides that, isn't Dusty's biggest strength he's good with the players? Shouldn't he be working to fix this?
    Not sure there is anything to fix. Phillips has an ego and thinks Fay waited too long to get around to him. Fay is put off by Phillips brushing him off.

So what?
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I haven't read the article yet but since Fay has written something negative about Phillips it proves two things.

1. Fay is not a True Reds Fan.

2. Fay has to be a closet Adam Dunn Fan.

That's what I was accused of because I said Brandon shouldn't hit 4th against RHP.

Last edited by Ron Madden; 03-07-2010 at 03:42 PM.

Shorter John Fay:

Brandon Phillips was mean to me and is a butt head with a butt face who smells his own butt.

Seriously, that article is virtually indistinguishable from an 11-year-old girl's diary. I bet Fay dots his i's with little hearts.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

I think Phillips just has high journalistic standards and is refusing to talk to Fay because Fay averages about 30 errors per story.

"Fay is the Eric Milton of sportswriters." Well played, Chip.

BTW... these dates have not happened yet:

--not running out a fly ball on July 21, 2010

--Ignoring a take sign on a 3-0 pitch vs KC on June 14, 2010

(Wasn't sure if that was Fay or the thread-starter that messed up the years.)

Wittle 'ol Fay is upset that Phillips won't talk to him. Ha. He reacts to an immature act by being immature with his writing.

Let's see....

Phillips doesn't want to talk to Fay, Fay writes scathing article full of garbage baseless speculation.

More likely, Fay is revealing some of his racial bias against Phillips in this piece. Probably what fuels the anti-Phillips attitude you see around Redszone at large as well.
    Last edited by kpresidente; 03-07-2010 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    I think Phillips just has high journalistic standards and is refusing to talk to Fay because Fay averages about 30 errors per story.

"Fay is the Eric Milton of sportswriters." Well played, Chip.

BTW... these dates have not happened yet:

--not running out a fly ball on July 21, 2010

--Ignoring a take sign on a 3-0 pitch vs KC on June 14, 2010

(Wasn't sure if that was Fay or the thread-starter that messed up the years.)

Wittle 'ol Fay is upset that Phillips won't talk to him. Ha. He reacts to an immature act by being immature with his writing.

That would be the thread starter...My error, not Fay

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Let's see....

Phillips doesn't want to talk to Fay, Fay writes scathing article full of garbage baseless speculation.

More likely, Fay is revealing some of his racial bias against Phillips in this piece.
    Yeah, Phillips has no history of being an ego-maniac who thinks he's entitled. Oh wait, you mean that's how he landed on the Reds to begin with? You mean he openly declared himself a captain of the team?

Maybe Fay is being childish too, but let's not pretend that he's simply out to get Phillips. Phillips' reputation is well-founded in his past behavior, whether Fay reacted properly to it or not.

What I find sad is that you react to "baseless speculation" by engaging in some (as far as I'm aware) baseless speculation of your own regarding racial attitudes.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 03-07-2010 at 03:38 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Phillips saying "I've been around here a week and now you're gonna try to talk to me?" has nothing to do with Fay. It has to do with who what order Fay interviewed Reds players. If Phillips has a deeper issue with Fay I'd like to know what it is

Turn Off Ads?