Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how much better are "WE" than 5 years ago?

how much better are "WE" than 5 years ago?

Ramon Hernandez---Jason Larue

Joey Votto---Sean Casey

Brandon Phillips---D'Angelo Jimenez

Scott Rolen---Joe Randa/Rich Aurilia

O Cabrera---Felipe Lopez

Gomes---Dunn

Stubbs/Dickerson---Junior

Bruce---Ears

Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Other....Claussen, Harang, Luke Hudson, Eric Milton, Ramon Ortiz

Cordero, Massett, Burton, Rhodes---Graves, Weathers, Coffey, Mercker

Miles, Wlad/Nix, Hanigan---Freel, Jacob Cruz, Javy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: how much better are "WE" than 5 years ago?

A lot better, IMO.

C - LaRue over Hernandez.

1B - Votto over Casey

2B - Phillips over Jimenez

SS - Lopez over Cabrera offensively at least

3B - Rolen over Randa

LF - Dunn

CF - Griffey was a lot better offensively but Stubbs/Dickerson are a lot better defensively

RF - Bruce

The starting pitching is a drastic improvement over 2005. Claussen was decent in 2005 but nothing special. Ortiz, Milton, and Hudson wouldn't even crack the Reds rotation now, let alone be the No. 2 or 3 starter like they were five years ago.

2010 bullpen over the 2005 bullpen.

This team is a lot better than five years ago if you ask me. The 2005 team could hit and that's about all they could do. This team has much better pitching and defense.

Hernandez > LaRue
    LaRue was morphing into one of the worst every day players in baseball. IIRC he hovered around the .200 mark for alot of this season. Hernandez may not be the best offensive catcher but he was much better than LaRue

Votto > Casey
    5 years ago Casey was in a declining stage of his career. The Mayor was beloved in Cincy but his game was in disarray.

Phillips > Jimenez
    I really don't think there is much of a debate here.

Lopez > Cabrera
    Lopez had a monster offensive year in 05. Silver Slugger and an All Stat SS. His defense was erratic but he was great in the 1 or 2 hole all season long.

Rolen > Randa
    Randa was a nice story, opening day walk off, but not the player Rolen is.

Dunn >
    Not much of a comparison here. Dunn was a good offensive player.

Griffey > Stubbs
    Giving the nod to Griffey. His defense was that of a corner OF and CF defense can make a big difference, especially when you have Dunn in LF. But he did have one of his better offensive seasons while playing 120+ games.

Bruce > Kearns
    Kearns was bad, plain and simple.

2010 SP > 2005 SP
    Not even a question

2010 BP > 2005 BP
    IIRC the 2005 BP was one of the worst I have ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Hernandez > LaRue
    LaRue was morphing into one of the worst every day players in baseball. IIRC he hovered around the .200 mark for alot of this season. Hernandez may not be the best offensive catcher but he was much better than LaRue
    LaRue hit .260/.355/.452 - .807 OPS with a 110 OPS+ in 2005. He fell off the cliff the following year but but he was one of the better catchers in the league in 2005. LaRue had a solid little career with the Reds, IMO.

And here I thought "WE" was going to be a introspective take on RedsZone...
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    And here I thought "WE" was going to be a introspective take on RedsZone...
    Jack Billingham years ago asked Marty Brennamen who "WE" was when Marty refered to the Reds with that word. Marty stopped using "WE" in that manner from that day forward.
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Jack Billingham years ago asked Marty Brennamen who "WE" was when Marty refered to the Reds with that word. Marty stopped using "WE" in that manner from that day forward.
    Yea I hate using that word as well. I don't play for the team and I don't work for the team. I think I used "We" when I was at OSU, but thats about it.

Oh yea in the olympics and when I am rooting for the USA I use "we" because I am USA.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    Yea I hate using that word as well. I don't play for the team and I don't work for the team. I think I used "We" when I was at OSU, but thats about it.

Oh yea in the olympics and when I am rooting for the USA I use "we" because I am USA.
    I also dislike the term "we" when referring to a professional club. I don't mind it at all when referring to the college one attended or the olympic team. IMO, the use of "we" is justified in both cases.

Ah Casey, GREAT hitter in a failing body. A healthy Casey would have been a perrenial .900+ OPS bat. Man was 2009 a horrible offense. Only 2 players with more tha 50 AB's had an OPS over .800.

You can say all you want about how much better 2010 might be, but 2009 to 2005? I'd take the 2005 offense ten times out of ten.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    I also dislike the term "we" when referring to a professional club. I don't mind it at all when referring to the college one attended or the olympic team. IMO, the use of "we" is justified in both cases.
    Sorry, but as much time, money, love and heartache that I've invested over the years in this team, I deserve the right to use the term "we".

Quote Originally Posted by SirFelixCat View Post
    Sorry, but as much time, money, love and heartache that I've invested over the years in this team, I deserve the right to use the term "we".
    Exactly. The players come and go, "we" remain right here.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by GADawg View Post
    Ramon Hernandez---Jason Larue

Joey Votto---Sean Casey

Brandon Phillips---D'Angelo Jimenez

Scott Rolen---Joe Randa/Rich Aurilia

O Cabrera---Felipe Lopez

Gomes---Dunn

Stubbs/Dickerson---Junior

Bruce---Ears

Harang, Arroyo, Cueto, Bailey, Other....Claussen, Harang, Luke Hudson, Eric Milton, Ramon Ortiz

Cordero, Massett, Burton, Rhodes---Graves, Weathers, Coffey, Mercker

Miles, Wlad/Nix, Hanigan---Freel, Jacob Cruz, Javy
    how much better are "WE" than 5 years ago?
    Code:
    CENTRAL 
    		 W  L  PCT GB  RS  RA  DIFF
    Cincinnati 	73 89 .454 27  820 889 -69   2005
    Cincinnati 	78 84 .481 13  673 723 -50   2009
    The 2010 season for Cincinnati has yet to be played on the field, one game at a time.

Have the Reds improved over previous Reds teams of five years ago? I think the answer to that question depends on how much they have improved against the competition in St. Louis, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Houston in 2010.

It is one thing to be better than past Reds teams that were bad, it is another thing to have gained ground and to have improved against the primary competition within their division, 2010 remains to be seen. If the Reds maintain a negative run differential and stay within a range of 13-27 games behind in the Central, can we say that they are significantly better?

The pitching and defense has the appearances of being better for the Reds, how about the Reds offense, and the competitions pitching, defense and offense? Are the 2010 Reds better?
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 03-05-2010 at 11:56 AM.

I agree with most of what has been posted above, but the big difference between 2005 and 2010 (outside of much better pitching) is much, much better defense.

Todays OF is, in my opinion, a bit better defensively than 2005's. Especially when its CDick, Stubbs and Bruce in the OF.
    Todays IF is much better than 2010.

If this team can score 50 more runs than last year, there is no reason the run differential shouldn't be positive.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    exactly why I used the quotation marks

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

The difference is quite staggering. I really think WE have a chance this year and I haven't been more excited for the start of a season since 2000.

Turn Off Ads?